Farnsworth Discussion

Re: Warehouse 13 Gun? & Other props

found another decent shot. all matches up with what ive got above when i composited it over.

3750355979_8d40138d2d_o.jpg

anyone have any insight into how to make the gold one looked aged as it does on screen? In the show it almost looks black sometimes. The flyboxes are anodized aluminum i believe, so i dont think gun bluing will work..

anyone have any insight into how to make the gold one looked aged as it does on screen? In the show it almost looks black sometimes. The flyboxes are anodized aluminum i believe, so i dont think gun bluing will work..

At first I thought (From looking at one of the photos) that it might have been electroplated copper.
But after looking at some other photos, it looks like it might just be spray painted.

Notice that the hinge area is kind of worn and has the gold showing through (THis might be the copper paint coming off from constant opening and closing of the communicator.)
Also notice that the lip around the base is gold.

Im going to wait until I get the box and then decide what to do....Ill most likely just paint it copper/bronze and add some weathering.

thinking maybe a sponging to get that uneven look to it? Yeha i noticed the hinge looked worn differently. Im also hoping the logo that appears printed on the front of the boxes is easily removable.

Any pictures to confirm if there are small dot pinheads on each corner of the outside covers? Ive seen this done on the dvd cases but havent been able to tell if its on the real deal.

thinking maybe a sponging to get that uneven look to it? Yeha i noticed the hinge looked worn differently. Im also hoping the logo that appears printed on the front of the boxes is easily removable.

Im guessing the logo won't really matter if you you're going to paint over it.

Any pictures to confirm if there are small dot pinheads on each corner of the outside covers? Ive seen this done on the dvd cases but havent been able to tell if its on the real deal.

Not sure which corner pinheads you're talking about.
Does the original prop have pinheads on the corners of the cover?

i havent been able to tell if they are on the actual prop, but watching last night and looking for them, i swear i did...gonna try getting some nice screencaps for reference tonight from Hulu.

9598559.jpeg

Id doesn't look like any pins on the outside cover from this photo.
Im pretty sure the outside cover on those fly boxes don't have any pins on the corners (Aside from the 4 rivets found along the edges)

Re: Warehouse 13 Props Research Thread - Farnsworth, Tesla Gun...

Very nice!

It looks like the lip on the back half of the case is definitely gold (Probably the original color of the fly box)
The only pins(Rivets) I see are the ones found on the middle upper/lower section and the one on the sides (Just like the fly box)

Also, I think someone mentiond that the two metal ports on the side may be some kind of inline jacks.
I think they're right.
I just looked at a few and they commonly have that knurled edge.
pRS1C-2264647w345.jpg

It's 5.5 mm in diameter

EDIT, after looking at the scaling of the communicator, the jack should be about 8mm.

Last edited:

i wonder if those could be used to plug up a charger to charge a batter in it or something, since the front panel doesnt quite look removable for the innards inside, unless its held on with magnets inside or something.

i wonder if those could be used to plug up a charger to charge a batter in it or something, since the front panel doesnt quite look removable for the innards inside, unless its held on with magnets inside or something.
I don't know much about electronics, but yeah, I guess it could be used to charge a battery...Although Im assuming that recharchab;e batteries go bad sometimes and may need to be change.

Also, inside the rectangular slot...Is it me, or does that look like grey foam?
foamall.jpg

Maybe that's what the inner housing consists of.

Last edited:

that could be possible, however I dont see that foam behind the slotted speaker on the left, and theres gotta be some room back there for the electronics of the red LED light, though i think thats all the real props did. I plan on a little more though...

There could be one of these inside the communicator -

Recharagable battery pack -
pRS1C-3802498_rshalt1_dt.jpg

It looks like this battery pack comes with that knurled inline jack as well.
It could easly be plugged in, and then anothe rwire could could the LED for the indicator light.

farnsworth1.jpg

Here's a screen cap of the prop.

farnsworth2.jpg

This is a cardboard mock-up - 6" X 3 1/2" X 1". Looks
dead on.

I think that the knobs, lens, and other lower items are slightly higher
on the face than the first mock-up posted. Like the lower row is about 1" from the bottom of the face.

airhead

Yes i agree, ive got the controls and speakers too low below the screen, need to move em up a bit.

BINGO! Check it out, rivets on each corner, appears theyre inside adn outside, last shot shows its on both panels.

0187028.jpeg

0452443.jpeg

2514020.jpeg

of course...theres variations among the prop. No corner rivets.

0840462.jpeg

1366724.jpeg

1498200.jpeg

2432682.jpeg

And here are a few closeups from the opening.

1932575.jpeg

1945996.jpeg

1962547.jpeg

Aaaand, i noticed the weathering on this one exactly matches the shot from the wired article. (check out around the bottom left knob)

4199025.jpeg

farnsworthface-02660.jpg

Last edited:

im getting excited about this.
Now to find the right picture to print on transparency and back light.

if anyone can decompile the swfs from the syfy site we could prolly get some good sounds and pictures..

OK, so it looks like they used two different version fly boxes.
And here's the other model for the riveted version.

fly_slip_wheatley.jpg

Im gonna go look ans see if I can find the model number.

EDIT
There's two versions of this riveted box...One has the single rivets on the seides, and one has double rivets on the sides....Can you tell if there are single or double rivets from your screencaps??

Last edited:

not sure what you mea by double rivets... they do appear smaller on the inside than they do on the outside...the inside on that first shot i posted almost just look like holes punched in.

My wife just spotted a compass set at walmart that had a similar box. It's great when she keeps a look out for prop stuff :love Going to check it out to see if it might be a cheaper alternative for the budget minded.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back