Farnsworth Discussion

Re: Warehouse 13 Gun? & Other props

There a huge fly shop where I live and yes, they aren't cheap at all, but do look spot on, just wondering what it would take to weather it to look screen accurate?

A new part for the pile o' parts:

farnsworth3.jpg

damn those boxes sure arent cheap...

Check Ebay...They usually have them much cheaper.
Just make sure it's the right model (Wheatley 9601)

As for the weathering, when i get the box Im going to sand part of it to see if theres brass or copper under the paint. If there is copper or brass it should be pretty easy to get the right weathering.
If it's just aluminum Im going to try and electroplate it with copper (Or maybe just paint it with copper paint)

The blue box in the forground has a really exhaggerated perspective, so it's most likely that they used a special lens while taking the photo, which would make the parts closest to the camera look very big and thick.
Also, the blue one in front is a different model. It has a flap in the middle (Notice that the edge of the back lid has little teeth)

If you look at the blue box in the background, you'll notice the thickness looks just about right in comparison to the communicator.
Also, the boxes will be thicker when they are closed...Since we haven't really seen the Farnsworth communicator when it's closed, it it's going to look thinner than it actually is.

Here's the image of the Farnsworht Cummunicator (I went ahead and did a bit of photoshoppiung to show the thickenss when it;s colsed)
boxthickness.jpg

And here's anothe rimage of the fly box...Look at the red one on top...It looks much thinner when they are open.(Also, look at the images on the previous page...THe fly boxes are open and they look just right)
christmas-stack.jpg

Last edited:

do all flyboxes has those rivets on the sides and/or top?

219329795_tp.jpg

SOme have the double rivets, some have the single rivets. The single rivet seems to be the one used on the communicator.
The model for the single rivet is 9601.
The 9602 also has single rivets but it has the center flap, and the case is thicker (As you pointed out)

if i had the inner dimensions of that fly box, i could get the faceplate laser cut from styrene or acrylic or something, including the inset details etc.

all the measurements im finding on those boxes are turning up 6" x 3 1⁄2". x 1 1⁄8", which seems to match up when i overlay a photo to that size, but overall seems a bit too small...though after measuring the knobs etc comared the the measurements on the source sites we have for some of the knows, it all works out, so i think thats the size.

http://www.highpeaksmercantile.com/catalog.asp?prodid=520330

Last edited:

heres where it is so far, i included the rulers so you can check out the measurements. The black dots where knobs go would just be holes cut in so the knob can be installed, not meant to display the knobs actual size. This is done over a shot of the dvd promo case, which is the best straight on shot i think we can go off, all others have been altered for perspective, throwing off placement of things vertically.

6558592.jpeg

thanks to Pilot for the hosting.

Last edited:

if you check out the pic above, i think i got pretty close. Farnsworth isnt perfect but its really close, the F is a little different. I used Snell for that and Futura for the numbers.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back