Farnsworth Discussion

Re: Warehouse 13 Gun? & Other props

I was thinking the same as far the base of the whole gun was a part of a real gun. It looks so familiar to me I just cant get a handle on it. As far as the backround of the communicator I still think that it is an electrical computer board backwards, One side green one side baby poop yellow. Does anyone know why it says Farnsworth on it. Does that make it what might be another found part by chance.

biker

If you watched the show -- it says that the gadget was invented by Philo Farnsworth, who is the real-life inventor of television.

A few parts on a dummy faceplate, just to see how they look --

farnsworth-inprgress1.jpg

The brown knob has the right knurling, but needs its flange removed. The pushbutton is just a placeholder for now, it's a bit large.

7.75x4.25x1 seems to be the correct size.9Not definite though)

Unfortunately not too many pics on the internet of different variations of these large tins. I think Ive only seen the peppermint big tin (Non embossed), Wintergree (Non embossed) and the silver Peppermint (embossed).
Don't know if there are any brass colored ones out there.

Last edited:

The show has tons of potential for props. the keyboard was built by a guy in the steampunk community called Datamancer. his work can be seen here:http://www.datamancer.net/blog/?p=27
I liked what looks like a modded out Wacom tablet in that photo. Lucricia's hair pin and jewelery box might make an interesting prop for the ladies.

I asked Datamancer a while ago if he'll sell kit versions of the keyboard frames. He said he's planning it, but no word on when as yet. Will definitely be on my things-to-buy list.

The Altoids box hinges are not the same as the Farnsworth. The prop has a more piano hinge-type, where the mint tin hinge has only two attachments.

Could this have been a metal tool case? that would account for the more robust hinge.

David

The Altoids box hinges are not the same as the Farnsworth. The prop has a more piano hinge-type, where the mint tin hinge has only two attachments.

Could this have been a metal tool case? that would account for the more robust hinge.

David

You're right.
Also, the top flap doesn't have the curved metal edges...It's just a straight cut.

The more I look at the screen shot of the Farnsworth the more the top of the case looks _plastic_.

Jay

What about a fly box?

fly_boxes3_a.jpg

m19901_1_1601sf-15silver_big.jpg

So far the standard size seems to be about 6.5"X4" - 6"X3.5"

Last edited:

DS - Looks promising. At least the hinge looks closer. Am I seeing a latch on the right side, about halfway up? Also there look to be four bumps on the back and maybe the front, kind of like rudimentary feet.

airhead

on the commuicator, if we have a base measurement for it does anyone here know who could laser cut the faceplate out of thin brass sheeting?

I counted the segments on the hinges and they seem to match up with the prop. 8 segements in total.

As far as the 4 bumps go, those are only found on the fly boxes which have the fly holders riveted to the box itslef. In the above pic, the box pictured at the bottom has foam fly holders which aren't riveted to the box.
Also notice that the bottom box has the rivets positioned on the sides and top center, in the same place as the screen used prop.
The top lid also doesn't have the lip (just like the original prop as well)

02-bare-inside-a.jpg

03-6-colors.jpg

Boxed%20Salmon%20Needle%20Flies%20Wheatley%20600.jpg

Regarding the center knob, you could probably use this -
http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p101.htm
Model number - KN-3412

Just remove the top silver part and file down the top, and then file off the skirt around the edges.

DS

Last edited:

I found a possible source for the display:

A clock bezel from a Baby Ben Classic Alarm Clock: $9.99 at Wally World.

It's face is 2 3/4" across and it has fairly straight sides so it can stick up above the panel like the original.

Some paint on the inside of the plastic should make it look right.

And you get some nice brass(like) Greeblies with it.:lol

PossibleFarnsworthBezel01.jpg

PossibleFarnsworthBezel02.jpg

Last edited:

Very Interesting:

Does anyone have a Noble Collection Alethiometer?

Take a look at the bezel glass on it.

That looks like the same edge to me and about the right camber.

Not that I'm going to break it up or buy another just for a Farnsworth.:eek

AlethiometerGlass01.jpg

Just ordered one of the fly boxes (I got one of the gold colored ones...The pic on the first page looks as though there is scraped off paint revealing gold around the edges), also ordered the radio knob and the red indicator lens.
Ill see how they match up.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back