Farnsworth Discussion

Re: Warehouse 13 Gun? & Other props

It definately looks like vacuum tubes. The knobs on the communicator appear to be from an old upright radio. I have one of the old radios and the knobs look identical.

Biker

ALso the whole piece of the communicator looks like the back of a computer electrical board, with that yellowish color.

So what's on the list so far for that communicator?

indicator light with a red lens -
679-7763.jpg

http://www.alliedelec.com/Catalog/pf.aspx?FN=1858.pdf

fluted radio knob, with a skirt and indicator lines (the brown bakelite knob might be harder to find.) -
vintageknob.jpg

Rickenbacker%20Guitar%20Knob%20Vintage%205%20piece%20web.jpg

small momentary push button (Maybe 4" size....There are also hundreds of medels out there. Don't know which might be the right one.)-
14141.jpg

The clear round crystal in the center looks very much like the acrylic faux jewel hemispheres found in craft stores.(They usually have silver coat of paint on the flat side, but that can be removed with some quick sanding)
2008053102102642008-0530-6722.jpg

Background panel probably just a simple brass sheet found at any hardware store.(Weathered)
THis would probably need some dremmel work for the sound grill, and some laser etching for the wordding/numbers.
006845_0.jpg

The panel looks like it's attached to an inner foundation with small brass domed-head escutcheon pins.
Esc-pins.jpg

The two small knurled screw on the side -
1.jpg

Or maybe nut or washers -
R77_YHW.jpg

As for the circular screen, some ideas -

- it looks like it might be some kind of lighting lens.
Maybe a round FLourescent lighting lens or cabinet lens?

- large furniture sliding pad. Lots of models, colors out there. Don't know which would be the right one.
They vary in size (2" 4" 7" etc)
0,0,459,16912,600,450,f905b2ea.jpg

158909_300.jpg

Last edited:

I saw a few paper props i wouldn't mind having from tonights episode. In the one scene artie has some photos of the people of the town going nuts, like the old lady spray painting the f word. Also he had a map of the town i thought would be cool. Also, in an earlier episode their is a photo of the original group, including artie. Or how about the map of the warehouse that is on the website. As a side note, there were not really any real artifacts in tonights episode that were good. Maybe the blade from the gulliotine, but i think we all would pass on the chair. Oh almost forgot, i want to know what book artie was looking through. Seemed to be a hard copy of all the info about possible people with links to artifacts.

COuld it be one of these big ass Altoid tins?

Anyone have the dimension on these?

3471699067_39502305a6.jpg

4825.jpeg

Last edited:

that does look right, as long as its the same thicnkess for both halves.

I did a scaling of the original communicator in photoshop, and the results are close.
The red indicator light , and the black radio knob also match up with the sizes stated on their websites.
Plus the rounded edges match up with the communicator as well.

Don't know about the thickness of the base and lid. there are a couple of silver Big Tins which have the base being a bit thicker than the lid...But I haven't been able to measure any of the brass colored ones. (Altoid tins slightly vary from design, so the brass ones might have the lid being the same thickness as the base.)

LOL, I found those pics online.

Unfortunately the large tins only come out during christmas....So might have to wait awhile.
In the meantime, Im thinking of making a mini communicator with a small sized tin.

Last edited:

that just gives us time to locate everything else.

maybe we can put one of replicaprops sound chips in, too bad theres not the same for video...

Is it possible that the two small knurled screw on the side are actually mini phono jacks? Could be used for an earphone, or recharge jack. I think that the small silver dome is suppose to be the camera.

David.

Did somebody say Christmas?:lol I can't wait that long, Ebay has a bunch for sale, just need to know exactly which one to get.Also what about that little knob in the middle? This looks like a great tutorial opportunity:love

Todd

I was thinking the same as far the base of the whole gun was a part of a real gun. It looks so familiar to me I just cant get a handle on it. As far as the backround of the communicator I still think that it is an electrical computer board backwards, One side green one side baby poop yellow. Does anyone know why it says Farnsworth on it. Does that make it what might be another found part by chance.

biker

Found out some more info on the base of the communicator

Philo Taylor Farnsworth (August 19, 1906 – March 11, 1971) was an American inventor. He is best known for inventing the first completely electronic television. In particular, he was the first to make a working electronic image pickup device (video camera tube), and the first to demonstrate an all-electronic television system to the public.

In his later life, Farnsworth also invented a small nuclear fusion device known as a fusor.

So I believe that the main body is a board out of one of his companies units. Now It may be near impossible to find but it is a start.

Chris

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back