Farnsworth Discussion

Re: Warehouse 13 Gun? & Other props

found a few 1940's first aid tins that are roughly the size and shape of the communicators, but theyre too deep. The only other thing close would e an oooooold cigar tin.

8136795.jpeg

and another shot for scale, man that gun is little...

9598559.jpeg

Last edited:

This shows premise sort of reminds me of the old "Friday the 13th: The Series" tv show. Every episode had them tracking down a different cursed antiquity.

i think they were hoping you would have forgotten that show.
i don't recall, but that one guy looks like the same guy in the old show.

After looking around for metal tins with hinged lids, the closest (although I think still too wide) seems to be a metal dvd box - like this one -
http://www.acmoore.com/p-52715-dvd-metal-tin-silver-525-x-775.aspx

The dimensions are roughly the same as a plastic dvd case and about 1" deep. The long dimension looks about right compared to the show.

The Farnsworth should be a pretty simple prop if the box can be found. I've been thinking of the Steampunk Workshop's experiments in etching to do a brass frontplate. Should work.

airhead

this show looks pretty kool
i was a background performer in one ep looking at a bunch of dead bodys
as it is filmed here in toronto
look forward to seeing it up here soon
:cool

If you go to the shows website on syfy, they have a few other items (agatha christies typewriter, John Wilkes Booth's Boot, Paul Revere's Lantern). The other thing i thought was funny was the part of the site that lets you post your own items. One person put Michael Jackson's glove. I'm convinced one person must come to this site. They posted an image of a Police booth that with the exception of the color and saying police on it looks very much like the Tardis. The person even went so far as to say that when you go inside, its huge and has all kinds of contraptions.

On a side note,i'm convinced they ripped this from the old Friday the 13th series. I mean they even put 13 in the title. Also there is an item in both series from Houdini and from John Wilkes Booth. Both series collect items, both have sets of partners have an eccentric mentor.

The gun looks like it's made from vacuum tubes. Maybe guitar amp tubes since they're probably the most common these days.

guitar amp tubes would be too fragile I think. My crew and I always have to be extra careful with our tubed heads.

The site wont let me cosign anything. Every time i click next the pic upload fails. I tried GIF, PNG and JPEG gyar

Last edited:

The tube are plate cap type, maybe from a television. One of them looks like a rectifier tube. The smaller of the rear tubes is a later design. They aren't the typical tube-amp types. I'm going to go through some old tubes and see if I can find some that match.

airhead

The light and image refraction going through the tubes make them look like solid clear cast resin, or real tubes filled with clear resin. No way in a million years would a prop department for a low budget television series risk having a major prop (stunt OR hero) made out of glass.

I have seen similar steampunk keyboards at the MAKE site or on wired.com.

Here is some more pics and some good prop background.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/06/first-look-steampunk-gadgets-go-wild-in-warehouse-13/

Actually, the keyboard is actually one of the ones created by a user at MakeZine. It's an improved model over the one seen here: http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml

If you scroll down to the comments of that page, someone brings it up, to which the site's owner replies, "The keyboard in Warehouse 13 is one of Doc's: http://www.datamancer.net/keyboards/keyboards.htm it's a much improved version of my original design!"

And if you use the first site, creating a replica won't be at all difficult.

theres a dvd press kit out there made to look like the Farnsworth, it looks a bit oversized and they added some embossing to the front, but still a good start if available.

Just watched it on HULU.

For the tubes on the gun you could use acrylic tube with resin ends painted with a fade to look like vacuum tubes.
Shouldn't be that hard to fake.
Once the gut's where put into it no one could tell.

Metal DVD cases where my first thought on the Farnsworth.
Possibly a gift or candy tin.

D6

I just watched it in HD as a free download from iTunes. It's pretty much a X-Files meets the Friday the 13th TV series Clone, but it's still entertaining and a visual treat for prop collectors. :thumbsup

did some perspective correction on a shot of the farnsworth and compared to dimensions of a dvd case, and dvd cases are an inch or so too wide, and maybe a little too tall.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back