Daft Punk Guy Helmet: Final p.16, TRON p.20

Re: Daft Punk Helmet Build

I kinda wish you had not posted pics of the finished mold you have. Wow.

Heh, well thats been that way for about a week now, and its also WAY far from finished. I just figured I'd go ahead and post all my progress up until that point so people can see where I'm coming from. I think next time I might try oil-clay sculpt, but I wasn't really sure I could get all the angles and radii right with just hand carving. I work better when I can sand something, for some reason.

The next thing on my mind was the "circuit board" diagrams in the earpieced of Guy's helmet. I called up a local trophy shop and asked if they did laser etching for plaques, and if they could etch custom artwork. The guy seemed a little curious as to why I needed the shapes I asked for, but its not the first time I've confused someone with my hobbies. I sent him an illustrator file I made, and a couple of days later, I got this in the mail:

3487011273_a92cb32ac2_b.jpg

You can compare my design to a shot of the real helmet here:

561984956_388bd2503d_o.jpg

I ran the lines up further because I need to make the "ear cone" piece to go over top of the whole thing. The edges of the "D" shaped outer ear piece will also contour into the circuit board pattern, like the shot above. Yes, I took some small liberties with the design. Normally I'd be very anal-retentive about this, but there were some lines which just didn't make sense to me design-wise as I was plotting them out, and I decided to change them.

I needed to make my hand-sculpt a bit more uniform around the tops of the ears so the MDF ear pucks would fit in better, so I invented my very own hobo circle router:

3470918427_f8305aea80_b.jpg

Then, I forgot to take pictures for a few days, because I got way into the build, so pardon the continuity leap.

The MDF ear "D" shapes were glued into place and blended into the form with apoxy sculpt, then the "seam" line around the ears was carved with a dremel:

3487011541_dd660e24f0_b.jpg

3487011619_ffac53e8a6_b.jpg

3487827918_2d6161e20f_b.jpg

I started work on an "ear cone" carved out of insulation foam, but after trying to sand and paint it for molding, I decided on a lathed piece of MDF instead. The foam one:

3493220986_e3141fbc6c_b.jpg

the MDF replacement:

3498662878_7252bb20b5_b.jpg

I made a mold of this and made 2 duplicates in resin, which will be affixed to the sides once I'm done shaping the rest of that area.

The mold doesn't sit terribly well when you wear it, but it IS wearable! I can't resist taking some process shots now and then while wearing a leather jacket, just to see how its looking.

3505797211_23092a8fd3_b.jpg

In that pic, I noticed a lot of issues. The chin area needs to be perpendicular to the ground when worn, and the ear "D" shapes taper upwards as they go back. I fixed the ears but the chin still needs to be reworked.

I also rounded all the intersecting edges and finished the base so it sits flatter. There's a bunch of small detail work here (like smoothing the insides of the circuit pattern in the ears) thats hard to photograph. This is where I'm at as of now:

3650605845_334bdf8bc6_b.jpg

Unfortunately progress has been on a halt since that point last week, since I'm moving into a new house and all my tools and materials are packed away. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more work on this by next weekend though.

Glad you guys like the direction so far!

Holy crap! You are not messing around!

heh, I should note that my posts up until now are a summary of 2 months of work. I actually work very very slowly, so I apologize in advance if my updates take on a far less rapid pace than what I've established.

WOW, this looks awesome! i love Daft Punk and the helmets even more. :love

i always thought none would ever tackle this project...

i´ll follow your work for sure, keep it coming... (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

I agree with all what has been stated so far!
Great project and a real nice craftsmanship!!!

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

This is amazing! I love it.

Does anyone else think of the Robotech Cyclone helmet when they see the Daft Punk helmet?
saber-battloid.gif

I keep checking back just to get a quick fix of goodness.
BTW, Volpin the work on your blog kicks major ass! I'd seen pix on Flickr of your portal gun. Fantastic! Glad to have you in the community

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

The little inconsistencies are driving me nuts. I know nobody else will see them without a side-by-side comparison, but it still gets at me a bit. I much prefer making things from video games. Trying to copy something that exists in real life is a solid pain in the ass, especially since Daft Punk (a)don't do many photoshoots and (b)change their damn design so much!

That being said, I love the profile view of the helmet right now:

3700594777_076c45c96c_o.jpg

...but I'm having issues with the head-on and rear 3/4 views. The "chin" part is far too thick (tall) and I've had to add a lot of material to compensate for the angle being incorrect at the front (it should be parallel with the visor. Before, it curved in toward the neck) Also, from the rear, the helmet looks very narrow. This could be because of the camera I'm using (crappy cell phone pic) or the fact that the built up areas go a lot deeper than they will once I cut the mold down. I'm thinking once the wire plate is added and I trim things a bit, it will look more correct.

3700771753_43448aebd8_o.jpg

The chin also seems to protrude more than I'd like, but I can't tell if thats just because its bright white right now and sticking out in the picture.

3700594683_8d7850d216_o.jpg

Apologies for the crummy cell phone shots, I left my camera at another shop during the move. Getting closer and closer to molding...

3700771697_f32476dbc2_o.jpg

I've always wanted to do one of these! Congrats on the progress thus far. It looks terrific!

Kody

looking great so far! I got few quesiton, what brand is the jacket your wearing and how are you gonna get the helmet chrome?

The jacket is just something I had around I tossed on for the test pictures. It's totally wrong for a DP costume, but my tiny neck looks like a toothpick in this thing if I wear it with just a t-shirt on.

For gold chroming, I'm going to have the molds vacuum-metalized at a shop in Los Angeles. They've done motorcycle helmets and similar things before, as well as a lot of plastic components for automobile restoration (my other hobby) so I know they can knock this out.

I don't know what a daft punk is, but your dedication to quality really shows through on this project. Nice job on the build

Nice work so far!

Man, there are alot of leds in those helmets. I suppose yer not looking for a way to see out of the helmet considering even the facial part of the original is covered in leds :D

Great job so far, keep going!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back