Daft Punk Guy Helmet: Final p.16, TRON p.20

Re: Daft Punk Helmet Build

So, after the helmet you're going to be making a 1:1 pyramid, right? :love

ha! riiiiight.

I actually just got all my shop stuff into a single house for the first time in about 5 years. So weird to have all my tools under one roof and not scattered amongst three different places throughout the city. Because of that, I have NO room in my garage anymore, at least not for a pyramid anyways!

Thanks a million for those shots of the wrist controllers - I didn't even know they wore 2 of them in the Discovery-era. Those are by far the cleanest shots I've seen of those components - you guys rock!

Been working some more on smoothing out the chin, but no shots as of yet. There is a sort of flat spot at the front, but the visor itself isn't flat, which means it a tricky little compound curve that has been all kinds of fun to try and sculpt.

I'm really pushing to be in molding by the end of the month, but we'll have to see what happens... wish me luck on that deadline!

I mentioned this before, but I thought I would go ahead and post it since there are more DP fans on here than I expected. This is a helmet history I made a year ago for thedaftclub.com, since there were people who thought that the HAA helmets were just the Discovery helmets "with the LEDs turned off" :lol This is not at all complete or definitive, it just covers what I consider to be the basics. I've include some basic pictures to illustrate the differences, but you can find ALL of my pictures at the link bellow for download.

BASIC differences/features in the Daft Punk helmets (in order of appearance):

Discovery Helmets:
Brief history: In the late 90’s Daft Punk went from wearing simple Halloween and novelty masks to complex robot helmets (If you are reading this you obviously already know that). These first helmets were made by special effects company Alterian Inc, with LED systems made by LED FX. Both helmets cost around $65,000. It has been said that the helmets were made around modified motorcycle helmets, but we cannot be sure that this is true as this claim was made by LED FX, who also took credit for making the helmets themselves, not just the LED systems.

Basic Features:
-LED Displays
-Backpacks containing processors for the LEDs
-Ribbed black tubes containing wires running from backpacks to helmets (amount of tubes varies depending on what is displayed on the LEDs)
-Ribbed “neck seals” that covered the neck

~lesser known features~
-Both costumes had optional “gauntlets” that had illuminating buttons that activated/ deactivated previously stored LED programs such as text or animations (think Nintendo power glove).
-The rear half of both Tom and Guy's helmet are/were removable to provide better access to the wires
-Infact, the rear half of Guy's helmet is missing in most photos and videos
-They can see, via pin sized holes in front of the eyes (Source FADER magazine interview)
-Towards the end of the discovery era the LEDs began to burn out, and needed to be repaired. Afterward, around the edge of both Tom's and Guy's visors a strange black trim appeared.
-Not everyone realizes that bellow Thomas’ visor there are holes for ventilation, as they are easily blurred in low resolution photos.

Fun facts
-Guy's helmet was capable of displaying text, just like Tom's. Although rather than scrolling vertically like most would think, the text scrolled horizontally (left to right). As a result, only 2-4 letters could be seen at a time thus making it very difficult to read.
- Guy’s and Thomas’ gloves were different in this era. Both featured the same black ribbed “under glove”, but Thomas’ metal plates were more stream line, where as Guy’s had “knuckles”

2527964839_81ceb1837f_o.jpg

“Transition” or “Hybrid” helmets:

History:
These helmets are often mistaken for the Discovery helmets, when in reality they are completely different. They appeared after the discovery era but before HAA. Its safe to assume these helmets were created by Alterian Inc. These helmets lacked the complex LED displays, thus allowing Thomas and Guy-Man more movement and visibility. The practicality of this was the two were no longer restricted to sitting still during interviews and were able to walk and interact with their surroundings better.

Features:
-A brand new sculpt of the helmets including smaller size and sharper details
-New but smaller LED displays
-Thomas' LEDs are a row of red LEDS (about an inch tall, that are capable of small patterns, and small text. Thus allowing much more room for vision)
-Guy's LED display is merely his 2 green LED “eyes”
-Thomas' visor is tinted red, Guy-Man's is mirror gold
-The helmets do not separate, they are just one piece.
-The back of Guy-Mans helmet has returned, and the “bald spot” is now filled with fake wires

~Fun Fact~
-The best way to identify these helmets is any time Guy's visor is gold.
-Strangely the black rubber trim appears on Thomas' visor again, but not Guy-Man's
-These helmets actually appear in the famous GAP commercial, they are used when Daft Punk is dancing. They then switch back to the Discovery helmets for the end of the ad.
-The same gloves were used from the Discovery costumes

h_3_ill_789522_daft-punk.jpg

HAA Helmets:

Basic History:
These helmets are basically the same as the transition helmets (the same sculpt) except for the following changes:

-No LEDs period
-Thomas' smile is changed to just a slit
-Visors are now black
-New (non ribbed) neck seal
-New (non ribbed) gloves. According to Thomas in a fan interview backstage at a concert their new gloves are made out of a lycra/spandex material, with pads in the fingertips to make it easier to use their instruments.

~Fun Facts~
-Even though they do not function, Guy-Man's helmet still has red and yellow LEDS on the bottom of his ears
-In the beginning of the HAA (including Electroma) era, Thomas' ears had two colors: Grey, and Chrome. Now a days they seem to be just completely chrome.
-Its safe to assume there are defiantly more than one of each helmet, as they are much easier to make.

daftpunk_23.jpg

Electroma “extras” Helmets:
Basically these were cheap versions of the “hero” HAA helmets. Details were compromised, for the sake of affordability. These helmets were also used as “back up” helmets for the Alive concerts, should the hero helmets have broken/gone missing. Also these helmets were wore by the bartenders and waitresses at the Electroma premier party.

473388525IKfVYA_fs-1.jpg

Alive Helmets:

The same helmets as the HAA helmets, but painted flat black, and feature EL-Wire accents on the edges. When these outfits first appeared (in concert) only Daft Punk’s jackets and helmets lit up. For their performance at the Grammy’s with Kanye West, their entire outfit now feature EL-wire, including their gloves.

-Interesting observation:
Their gloves for this costume do not have the “armor” pieces on the fingers or back plate, but EL-wire is there to simulate their presence. This is more than likely a result of allowing for easier hand movements.

Daftpunkfghhg.jpg

There you go, my contribution to the DP world. Now mind you this is not an attempt at a complete analysis. There are some details I did not touch on, I just tried to keep things simple/basic for the non-Daft Punk fanatics.

-H

Also here are some "rare" videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awfv1b9pmBU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG744r3klIU (Skip to 1:07)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvOq-0zYtd4 (Fan wearing an Extra helmet at the Electroma premiere)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkai8yM2nAc (Transition/hybrid helmets in action!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2VjJOxcks4

http://blogg.svt.se/psl/2008/03/27/minnen-med-daft-punk/ (transition helmets again!)

Last edited:

fantastic info Arafinwe. I thought I knew a lot about Daft Punk that is clearly not the case :) Then again Ive always been more of a fan of Thomas Bangalter.

Heres a decent shot of the gloves

330cspl.jpg

and lastly (2) more shots of DJ AM wearing Thomas' gear during a Halloween gig in LA

2d1txg4.jpg

r8eafl.jpg

Last edited:

Awesome pics and compilation on the helmets and costumes !!! Thanks for sharing !

Me and my spouse loved the 2007 Alive concert in Düsseldorf, best (and loudest) concert ever !

Thanks guys! I am glad I could share something of value!

MirrorminD, nice shots!

Its a personal hypothesis but I think DJ.AM's costume is a replica, not actually Thomas'. The jacket may be the real deal though, it looks REALLY good. But the helmet and especially the gloves look off to me.

Thanks guys! I am glad I could share something of value!

MirrorminD, nice shots!

Its a personal hypothesis but I think DJ.AM's costume is a replica, not actually Thomas'. The jacket may be the real deal though, it looks REALLY good. But the helmet and especially the gloves look off to me.

Regarding DJ AM I believe you're right, after further inspecting it, the jacket looks like a replica. Thomas ' jacket doesnt have side buckles like DJ AMs does. Still looks great though. You can see the buckles in the pic below from DJ AMs set

ibcqo0.jpg

I know im getting a little off topic, but here is a video from his set that the pic was taken from. There are some good shots of the 'replica' and it looks like he based his music off of their Alive tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYCNGxDRV74

Regarding DJ AM I believe you're right, after further inspecting it, the jacket looks like a replica. Thomas ' jacket doesnt have side buckles like DJ AMs does. Still looks great though. You can see the buckles in the pic below from DJ AMs set

I know im getting a little off topic, but here is a video from his set that the pic was taken from. There are some good shots of the 'replica' and it looks like he based his music off of their Alive tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYCNGxDRV74

Good call on the jacket! I never noticed before on the back of his jacket it says DJ.AM Funk :lol I guess thats that. I'd be interested to know where he got his replicas from. Anal retentive attention to details aside, its a very nice suit. Better than mine!:

1908159968_b0c13e9d0e.jpg

Now I am going to shut up for a while. I feel like we have hijacked this thread a little too much :)

In my research, I did come across a thread on the RPF where people were discussing Guy's helmet. One member called it "deceptively complex." After having worked on the mold master for a few months, I can definitely say he was right.

That was me. :)

There is a pep file floating around for Guy's helmet, but the more I looked at it, the more it looked incorrect.

And that file was mine as well. :lol

Loving your helmet, Guy-man's helm always seems to be pushed aside in favor of Thomas', but 'ol dome head gets my vote. Can't wait to see the finished piece!

Man this is a great thread!

I just picked up the latest "Lemon" magazine, and it has Daft Punk on the front and back covers. I'll scan and post 'em as soon as I can!

Can't wait to see how the helmet turns out. :) (I would love to have the skill for these.)

*le sigh*

It's sad that Daft Punk doesn't even bother doing their own photoshoots anymore, they've got two guys that they send out for most of these.

Love this thread! Great job on the helmet and lots of awesome Daft Punk info :thumbsup

Hurray for new pictures! Thanks Naboo!

*le sigh*

It's sad that Daft Punk doesn't even bother doing their own photoshoots anymore, they've got two guys that they send out for most of these.

Agreed. I know they say its because its easier for them to just send their "stunt doubles" than to travel half way across the world for a photoshoot, but that's just kind of... lazy.

Hopefully they are busy working on the Tron 2.0 soundtrack, or something.

I know they say its because its easier for them to just send their "stunt doubles" than to travel half way across the world for a photoshoot, but that's just kind of... lazy.

I wouldn't be suprised if they just made that up to keep people un-interested in thier public apperances for photo shoots and the like, given thier thoughts on anonymity.

I wouldn't be suprised if they just made that up to keep people un-interested in thier public apperances for photo shoots and the like, given thier thoughts on anonymity.

Myth in the making, and conspiracy theories brewing :lol

They have nothing on "The Residents", though, regarding keeping their faces out of the public ;)

As nice as it would be if that were true, unfortunately its a fact DP has "Stunt Doubles". It all began when Peter Hurteau and Michael Reich played 'Robot Hero 1 and 2" in Thomas and Guy-Man's robot costumes, because Tom and Guy were too busy behind the camera directing and filming the movie to "play themselves". Since then they have "played" Daft Punk for several photoshoots. Peter and Michael also plays "Robot 1 and 2" in the Kanye West Stronger music video.

dsc01810.jpg

Here we can see Peter and Micheal (matching white suits, second and third from the left) Thomas Bangalter (fourth from the left) And Guy-Manuel (fifth from the left, looking sad). As you can see there are height differences.

The trained eye can tell when its Daft Punk in the costumes, and when its not. The easiet difference to spot of Micheal's neck is considerably longer than Guy-Man's.

Micheal:
2491225392_bb54c4144e.jpg

Guy-Man:
daft_p14.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back