Daft Punk Guy Helmet: Final p.16, TRON p.20

Re: Daft Punk Helmet Build

I never would have imagined the thought of using expanding foam as a means of sculpting. Great job! :D

Like I said on flickr here are pictures I have from my large collection of DP photos that show the back of Guy's head. Hope these help!

l_7df684f49bb11686fec2d03157fa4263.jpg

CF008048.jpg

226266687_a54ee94442_b.jpg

imgp0814.jpg

jrbokh.jpg

Bellow are pictures from on set during the filming of Electroma. Although the helmets that the extras wore lacked the finer details, they are basically the same. Links provided due to huge pics!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/wolf_boy2027/Guy helmet details/473388525IKfVYA_fs.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/wolf_boy2027/Guy helmet details/473383738cTDsHI_fs.jpg

I also have pictures of the back of Guy's helmet from the "Discovery era", if you want them. Also if there are any other details/angles your looking for let me know, I have about a whole gb of just daft punk pictures and videos :)

The chin looks a lot better now. I am wondering, do you think the back bar on your helmet needs to stick out a little more?

Like I said on flickr here are pictures I have from my large collection of DP photos that show the back of Guy's head. Hope these help!

I also have pictures of the back of Guy's helmet from the "Discovery era", if you want them. Also if there are any other details/angles your looking for let me know, I have about a whole gb of just daft punk pictures and videos :)

The chin looks a lot better now. I am wondering, do you think the back bar on your helmet needs to stick out a little more?

OH HELL YES! These are awesome man, thanks so much for the help!

Especially that one shot of the back and those... weird little plates that look like they're sewn into the head sock. I couldn't find ANY of those things. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to make them.

As for the rear hoop, it does look a bit shallow in the shot above but I'm pretty confident that it protrudes the right distance. I took the rear 3/4 and did some quick photoshop edits to show where the "wire dome" and rear parts will be trimmed. I think this makes the back look much more "complete" (that being said, I know you watch my flickr like a hawk, and probably have already seen this, haha!)

3700913527_07fe3be7ef_o.jpg

Here's a better shot of the side, although the rear bar still looks a bit shallow, I'm pretty sure this is the correct depth. I'll try to get some better shots after the next stage of sanding and primer.

3701579424_65877eea50_o.jpg

I'd love more shots if you have them, shoot me an email at volpinprops@gmail.com when you get a chance. Thanks again dude!

I might have 1 or 2 pics that might help. I DJed an event that they were at awhile ago, ill see if there is any detail in pics...in the meantime if you have $65,000 laying around and get their permission the company that made them will make them for you :) Here are some specs: Which im sure you already know

Daft
Punk owns the copyright and concept rights to the helmets, so there may be additional licensing fees to pay. In short, yes, we can build you a helmet, but it will cost you thousands of dollars and take a year to produce. Here is how the helmets were made:
1. A model shop cast the face of the musician. This was used to create a bust which was
used as a template for the design.
2. The next step was to modify a motorcycle helmet. The body was cut away to allow for
cables and electronics. Two pin holes were provided so the wearer could see out.
3. Clay models were created for all the unique parts. This included a back pack and an arm
band controller.
4. Electronic displays were designed using prototype PC board materials.
5. The LED display panels were assembled by placing each LED one-by-one into a plastic
sheet and glued into place. Each LED required three feet of wiring to connect it to power
and control circuitry. The finished panel was bolted to the helmet frame.
6. The LED cabling was routed around the “ears” of the helmet and out the back. The
helmet cables led down to the backpack where the main controller board was located.
7. The system was originally powered by batteries, but this was later switched over to a
power cord system.
8. The control keypad on the armband was a custom manufactured PC board.
9. Exterior plastic molding and finishing materials were custom manufactured by a special
effects studio to complete the helmet. Once these pieces were added, the helmet details
were touched up with paint.
The helmets were used to produce a music video. As far as we are aware, the units are
still in use for performances.

The company is called LED Effects....heres their website if you want to ask any questions http://ledeffects.com/ - they only did the effects
The actuall helmets were done by http://www.alterianinc.com/
And if you are going all out, the jackets were designed/made by Hedi Slimane for $12,000 here is her site http://www.hedislimane.com/

Last edited:

I just have to point out that for all that money they charge and the sophisticated tools avilable to the company that made them, this guy is doing all of it by himself, and a damn good job at it. Plus they said they modified a motorcycle helmet and he started this from scratch.

I just have to point out that for all that money they charge and the sophisticated tools avilable to the company that made them, this guy is doing all of it by himself, and a damn good job at it. Plus they said they modified a motorcycle helmet and he started this from scratch.

Oh i agree 100%, i think this project is coming along greatly. But no one really knows how in depth all the LEDs are and how they actually program them on the fly from their wristbands. Im just amazed that DP did away with battery packs and just "plug" themselves in now.

Oh i agree 100%, i think this project is coming along greatly. But no one really knows how in depth all the LEDs are and how they actually program them on the fly from their wristbands. Im just amazed that DP did away with battery packs and just "plug" themselves in now.

Well, I imagine that would be easier if you we're in a stationary position, or didn't plan on doing alot of moving around. I would think that a system where you could either 'plug in' to avoid the need for draining a battery, and then still be able to 'unplug' to move around while powering it with some type of rechargeable pack.

To the wristband thing, I can't recall off the top of my head exactly what kind of effects are involved with the helmet so I can't say how complicated the circuitry would be. I would certainly like some pictures of the wristband/powerpack setup.

Well, I imagine that would be easier if you we're in a stationary position, or didn't plan on doing alot of moving around. I would think that a system where you could either 'plug in' to avoid the need for draining a battery, and then still be able to 'unplug' to move around while powering it with some type of rechargeable pack.

To the wristband thing, I can't recall off the top of my head exactly what kind of effects are involved with the helmet so I can't say how complicated the circuitry would be. I would certainly like some pictures of the wristband/powerpack setup.

These videos show some of the LED capabilities of the Discovery helmets, and in the first 2 videos you can see the arm controllers/wrist bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8RgMU9YYvA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5gDlGDqXlY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZeRqcTO_do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM4neTsgTZo

Here are some pictures of the Discovery helmets with the LED systems being installed by LED FX

daftpunk28.jpg

daft.jpg

I also have a recording of an hour long french documentary on DP that reveals some "relatively unknown" features of the helmets, such as Guy-Man's helmet's ability to scroll text like Thomas'.

I have an entire DP helmet history that I came up with a few months ago, in attempts to try to educate all the 12 year olds over at thedaftclub.com . I'll share it with you guys if you are interested :)

That second video gives a great look of the wrist band controls

Yea but one thing im noticing, it looks pretty huge in that video and in the Japan interview they don't have anything like that on thier wrists. There's no way they could have something like whats in the second video, underneath thier jacket sleeves in the Japan interview because there would be a big bulge.

If you notice in the japan video the helmets don't do anything while they're walking around. They just set it to a default.

Man, that's so sweet!!
My wife is gonna freak when she see's this thred!
Great job on your build :thumbsup

@Spike - you're definitely right about the missing wrist controls, but those last pics you posted are just filled with all kinds of awesomeness

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back