Daft Punk Guy Helmet: Final p.16, TRON p.20

Re: Daft Punk Helmet Build

It's pretty warm, yes - but not terrible.

Another update:
New video!

I tinted a scrap visor and tossed it on to see how the lights show through the tint. VERY happy with the result. Not long now...

HOLY CRAPOLA MAN!!!!

I...

Uhhh..

abuh....

but......

:confused

How the....

That's exactly what I said out loud when I saw that video.

you blue screened my brain with that, I can't even come up with a compliment!

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is one of the coolest props I've seen recreated!

You should be proud of your work wish I had one that is sweet!

Love it, my only comment would be to make the pulsing faster on the ear cone BPM effect.

Love it, my only comment would be to make the pulsing faster on the ear cone BPM effect.

Yeah, its running older code right now, but thats been corrected in the most current version. I need to pull the arduino and upload the new code soon.

Awesome. When/if you get around to making another video, I wouldn't mind seeing it in the 'idle' mode. (color bars all lit up solid, equalizer lit up solid with the ear cones pulsing and the LED row above the eqalizer scanning back and forth)

That video is officially the coolest thing I've ever seen. I'm gonna watch it again now.

ugh im jealous i would definitely like to have one of these haha

Just ONE!? I want 12! So I can start my own Guy Man army.

Volpin, I don't know how you do it, but each update impresses me more and more. (And I was pretty blown away when I first saw those early red-primed shots of you wearing the original sculpt) Normally, I'd say keep up the good work, but I'm not sure I could handle the awesomeness if you do. :p

This has definitely set the bar pretty high for me now that I'm finally making forward progress on my Thomas Bangalter (Silver Daft Punk Dude) helmet again.

I can't wait to see this finished!

-Nick

Stumbled upon this in google and had to give serious props (I've read your blog in the past and have been thoroughly impressed but this blows my mind).

Also I love your Corgi!

Update!

This is more about the handplates than the helmet, so sorry for the lack of pretty-pretty lights.

After seeing the vac-formed method a couple pages back, I decided to finally get off my ass and make my own vac-former. This was also inspired by the gift of a new toaster oven that my wife and I received for our wedding - the old, crusty oven donated its heating elements to my new oven box.

4659671449_eff3d27302_b.jpg

She's a small machine - 14"x14" bed - but I wanted to start small on my first attempt. If you're interested, you can read about the build process here.

SO! I decided to make a couple casts of my hands and sculpt out the gloves. The left hand will receive the same plates as the fingers on the right, so I only sculpted the back handplate there.

4705413958_c10b927771_b.jpg

4705414068_2d0abab5c7_b.jpg

Then I did something VERY disturbing, and fed all of them into my bandsaw. This was a very, very weird thing to do. About halfway through cutting them I noticed I was grimacing, too. I suppose thats the natural reaction to feeding a hand into a moving saw blade.

4736147216_98138fb683_b.jpg

After sanding the bases flat (meaning cutting off all the fingerprints - also weird) I trimmed each piece apart from one another and set them out on my vac-table. The numbers and letters are coded so I know what segment they are. "i1" = Index finger, first section.

4736147318_bc1b665daf_b.jpg

And the pull! This is done in .080 styrene. Turned out a lot better than I had hoped, especially considering I didn't build up any drafts or raise the pieces too high off the bed.

4736147386_817f737956_b.jpg

Ran out of styrene before I could do the hand plate backs, but I should be able to pull those later today. Then I have to figure out how to get these out to the chromers... I'm thinking of making a parts tree similar to model kits so these can be sprayed more easily. We'll see...

i give you so many kudos for this project
awsome jigs and skills used man, ive learnt alot reading this

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back