Daft Punk Guy Helmet: Final p.16, TRON p.20

Re: Daft Punk Helmet Build

I just registered to let you know how amazing your work is. Simply beautiful. Can't wait til it's finished with all the electronics.

Progress bump?

Good call! Tedious work in this update, but it needs to be done.

I found out during fitting that the rear wire dome interfered with the lighting array, so I had to cut a scallop into it to get everything to fit properly. This meant I had to pull up the wires and trim and... ugh, lots of little wire punctures on my fingertips.

4471925936_7b737b38e3_b.jpg

4471926102_4e731bc572_b.jpg

Screw posts with short allen screws hold the dome in place. These are anchored with epoxy resin and capped over with small bits of apoxie sculpt for strength. Overkill possibly, but better than it coming loose. This shot was from before the wire dome was scalloped.

4442579714_31b5c4a1cf_b.jpg

I used the same screw posts to anchor the lighting bars into the helmet as well. This was a test fit before working on the alignment a bit

4471926284_3a38e62a7a_b.jpg

After that, I moved on to the EKG pattern and EQ bars in the ears and chin. Originally, I figured I'd try to do these in water-slide decals:

4516451021_9729da0a29_b.jpg

While this seemed like a decent idea, the black wasn't completely opaque and the light leaks looked like crap. I ended up calling a local vinyl shop and sending them the vector files for the EKG and the chin LEDs. They cut the patterns in black vinyl, which looked MUCH better:

4533158375_ba5ac05e06_b.jpg

Hard to get a shot of this, it looks much better in person. The yellow bars aren't illuminated, because they're animated. The top white LEDs also marquee left and right. With my junk camera, this was the best capture I could do.

4542384812_40d910da07_b.jpg

I'm still after this, and coming in on the home stretch!

The feelings I get from seeing these images can best be described by this image:

noyphh.jpg

Great work. I can't wait to see this thing all put together and animated.

Thanks for chronically your build for us nerds.

-Nick

Shame you can't sell these, but can you sell a blank/mold and let people build the rest themselves?

Well, I can sell these, I just really, really don't want to make any more of them. This one has taken me over a year to get to this point and has given me quite a bit of headaches in the process. Thats not to say a second one wouldn't be easier (After I've finished this one for my client, I have plans to make one for myself) but they just take up so much time that I don't really have to spare.

My current pricing for another replica is a briefcase filled with money. To date, nobody has taken me up on that offer.

That being said, I do sell blank casts for others to make on their own (see below.) I've sold several of those since taking orders.

4279371846_1848958bba_b.jpg

Last edited:

The one in the middle looks pretty unique. I'll take that one. Now, would you take a suitcase full of pennies, or does that have to be paper money? :lol

I'm having trouble looking at the details of the blank casts because that dog is so damned cute. What is it? Welsh Corgi?

I'm having trouble looking at the details of the blank casts because that dog is so damned cute. What is it? Welsh Corgi?

heheh, that Louie - I bought him from a breeder in the "bargain bin" because he's a longhaired Corgi and therefore not show quality. Gotta love discount dogs!

As for the suitcase o' cash, I have to insist on paper money... and none of that Monopoly junk!

Finally got around to updating my flickr with all the shots form the past couple days. Figured I should toss this one in here to show the helmet in "static" state.

4572797255_9a3c008843_b.jpg

If the weather will cooperate, I'll be tinting a test visor this week to see how it looks behind the black. Currently its pouring here in Atlanta, but hopefully it'll clear up in a couple of days.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back