Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland Costumes

Is anyone surprised that Helena Bonham Carter is in it?
I like her as an actress but I'm pretty sure that if Tim Burton made this years ago that Lisa Marie would be in it.
I'm not judging him however.

The Wolf

I think trying to replicate the Mad Hatter costume would be another "I'm now broke and cannot afford to recreate this costume!" Therefore I think completing a "close enough" version should suffice. The make up doesn't look too difficult using Ve Neil's Pirate Palette. The contact lenses alone are probably going to run about $150.00!!:eek

Why in the world would you want to recreate that ugly thing? :lol

Is anyone surprised that Helena Bonham Carter is in it?
I like her as an actress but I'm pretty sure that if Tim Burton made this years ago that Lisa Marie would be in it.
I'm not judging him however.

The Wolf

Well, thank god he's married(ish) to Helena, and not Lisa-Marie (who I don't get the point of mentioning).

Ooh, I really like the White Rabbit's look in that second piece of concept art.

And having Matt Lucas as the Tweedles is just genius. :)

To clarify for Darth Mule and others, i mentioned Lisa Marie ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0547273/ ) because she was dating Tim Burton when he made Ed Wood, Mars Attacks and Sleepy Hollow consequently she acted in all of those.
Then he started dating H.B.C. and put her in everything from Big Fish to Alice in Wonderland (and counting).

The Wolf

To clarify for Darth Mule and others, i mentioned Lisa Marie ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0547273/ ) because she was dating Tim Burton when he made Ed Wood, Mars Attacks and Sleepy Hollow consequently she acted in all of those.
Then he started dating H.B.C. and put her in everything from Big Fish to Alice in Wonderland (and counting).

The Wolf

Whoa! My mistake. Totally different Lisa Marie than I was thinking. I was totally thinking of Elvis' Trainwreck of a daughter. Never even heard of this girl.

"Why in the world would you want to recreate that ugly thing? :lol"

Why does anyone do Star Wars, Star Trek, Freddie, Halloween, and many other costumes that I think are ugly!?

Because we can!!!:lol

Thought I had the Contacts for you, but they weren't right. I'm not sure they don't have some Photoshop on them as well. If you look at the picture Depp's are in his eyes crooked.
Laffo.

Thought I had the Contacts for you, but they weren't right. I'm not sure they don't have some Photoshop on them as well. If you look at the picture Depp's are in his eyes crooked.
Laffo.

Yes, I caught that....Mabey his eyes are crooked. :confused

From the HIRES images the hat looks easy enough but requires alot of detailed work. Wire frame with a lace covering sewn into the frame. Possibly the need to darken the lace if isn't available in the black color. The pain is going to be stitching all that thread into the lace to give the hat the patchwork look. Right side appears to be quail/peacock feathers and hat pins can be easily recreated.

Jacket may be a Victorian style that is beat up and distressed. Light pink high collored shirt with lace wrists. The bow tie looks like a woman's scarf and the print reminds me of a famous painter that for the life of me I just can't remember the name.

Lower half will have to wait until more pics emerge!

If you decide to start on a hat, LMK...I was going to do a trial run on make-up tonight, but ran out of time. I need to double check on my stash of colors anyway....

EDIT - And orange clown hair too. :p I bet I could use my real hair. :lol Just need some for the eyebrows....

From the HIRES images the hat looks easy enough but requires alot of detailed work. Wire frame with a lace covering sewn into the frame. Possibly the need to darken the lace if isn't available in the black color. The pain is going to be stitching all that thread into the lace to give the hat the patchwork look. Right side appears to be quail/peacock feathers and hat pins can be easily recreated.

Jacket may be a Victorian style that is beat up and distressed. Light pink high collored shirt with lace wrists. The bow tie looks like a woman's scarf and the print reminds me of a famous painter that for the life of me I just can't remember the name.

Lower half will have to wait until more pics emerge!

For the hat, the lace almost looks leathery. I don't know if that's an effect of it possibly being painted?

Not enough of the jacket to judge, but it's certainly frayed to hell.

Now, the lace wrists may actually be lace just tied around (as it doesn't match the collar) and it really fits in with his character. Hatter is a revolutionary against the Queen this time around. Random tied pieces of fabric seems to fit the personae/aesthetic.

Also searching on the bowtie print.

Here's a larger version of that last one:

34908.jpg

Still not the highest quality, but we can make out new details.
Looks like he's got a sash of thread spools.

Also, check out these sweet stockings:

aiw3.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back