Batman sculpture work. Chest is Cast Up!

<div class='quotetop'>(DAVIDYR1 @ Jul 11 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]1278942[/snapback]</div>
Ben your post really hit home for me because I'm in your same shoes for something else entirely...however, unfortunatley...all I can say is that in 'my' case...I just wont be parting with any copies....This truly is for my own private and ever growing collection. Sorry buddy. :(

[/b]

No need for Sorry, I'm just happy you posted the pics for us to enjoy.

Thanks for sharing your art with me/us. I love seeing what other artists are doing, especially if they're in a different genre. I'm heavily into the horror side of the hobby, but I really love what you've done. I love seeing alot of the great work posted here. You can get so jaded on some of the other boards, (*bad art + high prices*) it's nice to see on this board alot of people making things just for the sake of making it. I can understand that better then doing it for money, if I didn't make stuff I'd go insane.

Again man, total Kudos, Congrats, and everything else. You've really crafted something very remarkable and beautiful to look at. I'm sure he'll look stunning in your home.

:thumbsup :love

<div class='quotetop'>(Ben_Forsaken @ Jul 11 2006, 08:44 PM) [snapback]1278993[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(DAVIDYR1 @ Jul 11 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]1278942[/snapback]
Ben your post really hit home for me because I'm in your same shoes for something else entirely...however, unfortunatley...all I can say is that in 'my' case...I just wont be parting with any copies....This truly is for my own private and ever growing collection. Sorry buddy. :(

[/b]

No need for Sorry, I'm just happy you posted the pics for us to enjoy.

Thanks for sharing your art with me/us. I love seeing what other artists are doing, especially if they're in a different genre. I'm heavily into the horror side of the hobby, but I really love what you've done. I love seeing alot of the great work posted here. You can get so jaded on some of the other boards, (*bad art + high prices*) it's nice to see on this board alot of people making things just for the sake of making it. I can understand that better then doing it for money, if I didn't make stuff I'd go insane.

Again man, total Kudos, Congrats, and everything else. You've really crafted something very remarkable and beautiful to look at. I'm sure he'll look stunning in your home.

:thumbsup :love
[/b][/quote]

Thanks again buddy.. :thumbsup

A few more.

The back just before I sprayed it..
backptl.jpg

Front...I'm now glossing up the chest bat so those will be the next ones I post..

ryuirii.jpg

And one with my cowl and the licensed kids toy belt. Belt is way too small but still looks cool I think..I will upgrade to a much better one when time allows for it.

iryuir.jpg

More to come.
Enjoy.

David

<div class='quotetop'>(AlpineDarth Maul @ Jul 11 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]1278943[/snapback]</div>
David,

I'm new on here and so I'm just catching up with your work. It's really awesome. A very long time ago I sculpted a Keaton bat-suit (kinda, mask and chest piece only.) And from that, I know how hard it is to get the left and right sides to match. I'm in awe of the work you've done on the suit so far. I still sculpt, but find that it takes me much longer than I think it should. LOL

I'd love to see more of your stuff.. Drop me a PM if you have some extra time and perhaps a link to a site where you have a gallery.

Shawn
[/b]

Yeah, what he said...

I'm a newbie too and would love some deeper insight in to how you put this together and your other work too.

Totally awesome work. As a newbie, I've got some questions...

What are the next steps after you've complete the sculpting?

What goes into your decision as to the materials you'll use next?

Thanks.

<div class='quotetop'>(TheKeeper @ Jul 15 2006, 08:11 PM) [snapback]1281542[/snapback]</div>
Totally awesome work. As a newbie, I've got some questions...

What are the next steps after you've complete the sculpting?

What goes into your decision as to the materials you'll use next?

Thanks.
[/b]

Thanks guys... :thumbsup
Ok..there's a couple of cool questions here..

What materials to use next??? Well that really is something that is planned out from the beginning. What clay to use, how to finish the clay to the surface needed, what solvents can and cant be used considering you dont want to contaminate your clay...what kind of silicone for the mold, and what ultimately will be the casting.
All these things need to be planned out ahead of time. My biggest concern is inhibition from any sulpher that may be in the clay and come in contact with my silicone mold. I only use platinum silicones and they are quite tempermental. Even though Chavant NSP is sulpher free, it still can have small traces in the clay mix so I need to be sure all the steps taken after the sculpt is done will allow for a nice crisp mold surface in my silicone. That's just one more reason why I now spray my sculptures when they're complete.

The next step will be seal the entire sculpt and start with the silicone brush up. It's going to be a tricky mold because of the spacing between some of the edges in the clay areas are pretty close together. Not enough distance from one edge to the other but regardless, that's just standard moldmaking so ultimately it just means it'll take a little longer to do.
Once the silicone brush up is done and keyed up, I start with the mother mold. Fiberglass jacket. 2 part front and back.
Once the mold is done, the jacket is removed, the silicone is peeled off of the sculpt and put into the fiberglass jacket. The clay is removed from the life cast and the life cast is put back into the mold.

Once cast pics of this torso are posted it'll be easier to explain how I actually got it in and out of the mold.

Great questions. Thanks for asking...

David

The chest is finally ready to mold. :)

Been tweaking and adjusting it for a while. This is still the clay sculpture but sprayed black. The last shot of color is high gloss black because it allows me to see any remaining imperfections in the sculpt and to tool them out before I start molding it. No clear coat at this stage either.

I threw the cowl and toy belt on it to see how it would all look.... :)
I'll also try a few more pics with the gauntlets too.

I'll have a few more up by today. Going under the silicone this afternoon...FINALLY.

cowctbk2.jpg

cowctbk.jpg

cowctbk4.jpg

cowctbk3.jpg

cowctbk5.jpg

Just remember...this is the clay sculpt sprayed gloss black. The castings wont be shiny like this...Not at all.

David

David...wow.

I have watched you for the past four years and still...everything I see blows my mind. Congrats brother, that looks gooooooooooooooooood ..

Too bad you can't get your casts to gloss like that...its beautiful..brings a tear to my eye ..

<div class='quotetop'>(Got Maul @ Sep 9 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]1316509[/snapback]</div>
David...wow.

I have watched you for the past four years and still...everything I see blows my mind. Congrats brother, that looks gooooooooooooooooood ..

Too bad you can't get your casts to gloss like that...its beautiful..brings a tear to my eye ..
[/b]

Thanks buddy..
It's always a learning process and it sure is fun to share my work with you guys. Always has been. :thumbsup

as for the gloss...sure, I can easily get it cast that way...but I'd rather have it with a more matt finish. That is the tricky part, glossy is usually how silicone gets cast anyhow.

:)

David

<div class='quotetop'>(Chewie15 @ Sep 9 2006, 11:46 AM) [snapback]1316517[/snapback]</div>
Looks good man. You've been very busy :D

H
[/b]

Thanks buddy...busy, sure...but the 'buzz' in the industry is that you're the busiest of us all. :)..and well deserved I might add. :thumbsup

Quick edit..:)
Posted the same time you did Wampa. Thanks man... BTW been watching your latest works..you're really kicking arse....

David

glad to see you finally at the stage, looks really great.

I have a casting question. I understand the silicone, mothermold and the life cast being put back but how do you actually get the casting material in the gap?

Thanks guys for the kind words. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(fettster @ Sep 10 2006, 06:45 AM) [snapback]1317000[/snapback]</div>
glad to see you finally at the stage, looks really great.

I have a casting question. I understand the silicone, mothermold and the life cast being put back but how do you actually get the casting material in the gap?
[/b]

Great question...
Well, before molding I sculpt in series of bleeder tubes extending off of the sculpt that are molded into the entire thing. What these do is create channels for air to be pushed through so none of it gets trapped in the actual casting. Much like aluminum or bronze casting if anyone's done that...then they're just trimmed off in the end casting because the will get material into them.

At the same time, consider a strategically placed area in the hollow life cast that the injection gun can be placed into. When the gun which is nothing more than a huge seringe pushes the material into the mold all the air can be forced out and the material swells into the mold. In this case the injection point is in the mid ab area.
I hope that makes sense. I dont want this to sound more complicated than it really is. Is it tricky? Sure, but no more than any other kind of casting that you all do here. I want this to work well for foam latex also. I'm pretty comfortable with all types of cast rubbers by now but still dont have that comfort zone down with foam latex. Still playing around with it but...I do expect to elevate to that very soon. I wont substitude foam with some of the silicones I use because of long term use with foam and the problems it can encounter but I would like to broaden what I do and I see foam latex as the next step..and a fun challenge.

I cant thank you all enough for the support, critiques and all around feedback I've gotten here on this board. You guys are great and really help keep this stuff 'fun'.
:thumbsup

David

Wowie, wow, wow. This is the coolest batsculpt I've seen to date. You do some awesome work. I got to see your batgirl (that was you right? my memory isn't failing yet) on Miracola at D*Con. Awesome.

If you ever do a sculpting seminar anywhere close to Virginia, please let me know.

This actually makes me want a batsuit.

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Mule @ Sep 10 2006, 12:00 PM) [snapback]1317109[/snapback]</div>
Wowie, wow, wow. This is the coolest batsculpt I've seen to date. You do some awesome work. I got to see your batgirl (that was you right? my memory isn't failing yet) on Miracola at D*Con. Awesome.

If you ever do a sculpting seminar anywhere close to Virginia, please let me know.

This actually makes me want a batsuit.
[/b]

Cheerse Darth Mule..
Thanks man...

Here are the last pics I took of it before getting it under silicone. The gauntlets you see on the sculpt are just quick slush casts and by no means perfect but I did use them regularly to help with proportions. Below you'll see a few pics of what they look like cast up properly.

congaunt.jpg

congaunt6.jpg

congaunt5.jpg

congaunt4.jpg

congaunt3.jpg

congaunt2.jpg

Proper casts of guantlets..
progaunt2.jpg

progaunt.jpg

The next pics I post are of the rubber chest casting...this has been a loooong road.... and almost over...:cry

David

David, feel free to send me every cast that didn't turn out good, I will pay the shippings :D
Because if the first gauntlets are just "slush casts and by no means perfect" well I'm curious to see a similar quality cast of one of the suits... :D
Maybe are the pics, but everything you did looks terrific... ;)
BTW the last gauntlets and the sculpt of the torso are outstanding.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back