Rag-Tag Fleet custom build

This model has been collecting dust for over a year. In my living room. Taunting me every day.

Finally started back on it by building some subassemblies seen below.

Thanks!
The black cut-down Sherman hulls in the first pic are going to be mounting point covers for the equipment bays.

Thank you!

Decided to tear off the Phantom drop tank halves:
attachment.php

...and go with part of the Fruehauf Tanker:

attachment.php

Gussied up the exposed edge:
attachment.php

Needed to fill the gap between it and the Saturn stage, so I used the remaining half of another Monogram Saturn part that I had cut down for use on the upper hull:
attachment.php

It didn't reach the bottom, hence the 8rad parts.

But you could still see in there:
attachment.php

...sure, only if you're REALLY looking, and only from certain narrow angles. Heck, the Galactica had big honkin' open spaces visible down its Saturn halves.

But I just had to put something in there.

So I made this ugly thing with sheet styrene* and a rubber tank track:
attachment.php

attachment.php

*another fake sample credit card as seen on the unpainted upper hull earlier in the thread. If it's styrene, I keep it!

There we go.
attachment.php

Looks GREAT!

Man, all I'm doing right now is piping on that Y-Wing - ooooo wwweeeeee does it make those eyes cross!

I'm so happy that I could see your work again.
This is the superb one. Mind blowing !!
I've seen this thread again and again !!

I don't want this finished, I want to see your work forever !

katsu

Gave it a quick paint job. Alternate mistings of Modelmaster Camoflage Grey and Tamiya Insignia White. The latter is rather cool, and the former too warm, but I like them together. You can kind of tell where some areas got more of one than the other, but that's okay. Gives it character. (And there's still weathering to come.)

Last edited:
IT LIVES

(dear jeebus, I started this NINE YEARS ago?!)

I was doing some washes on another model so I dragged this one out. I used Vallejo Streaking Grime. I then did some streaks with India Ink.

Many happy accidents on this:
-A few chips fell off a while back, revealing bare plastic.
-A decal or two also fell off, revealing an earlier paint pass.
-A plate fell off and I decided to leave it off and paint the recess gray (or maybe I originally left it off intentionally, I don't remember at this point!).
-A plate warped and fell off and I glued it back on, even though it's buckled.
-An experiment with a red color on those long pieces on either end of the nose I ended up not liking, combined with pre-masked paint chipping I also didn't like, resulted in a rough texture when I painted gray over it.

I love them all. They stay.

I made some of those ILM ESB Falcon "equal signs" and "L's" and such with extra fine Sharpies (both black and red) and a stencil. Likewise some triangles and other trapezoids.

Also did washes on various mounting point covers:

20180825_143105.jpg

I will do some dry brushing with base color for some highlights, but otherwise painting of the main ship is done:

20180909_155315.jpg20180909_155328.jpg20180909_155413.jpg20180909_155346.jpg20180909_155405.jpg20180909_155256.jpg20180909_155359.jpg20180909_155248.jpg20180909_155307.jpg20180909_155339.jpg

Now to finally paint the engines and decide how I'm attaching them. And come up with a mount for the dish.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back