BTTF 3 : Train Time machine ? Already done ?

Randy Cooper's model looks like it's built from a "G" scale (aka large scale) train--probably a Bachman 4-6-0 with tender. I have the same train--crappy train, but would make a fine model with Randy's inspiration. I lke the display of the train flying above the tracks.

Don G.

Will have an eye...
Can we do something in that dircetion? What kind of train is it?!? Maybe with some work its possible to make it from a normal train model...
Does anyone know what happened to the full sized mockup of the time machine? I saw it around 1993, the only time I ever went to Universal. I remember taking a very good look at the time and it looked very solidly built. I have photos of it somewhere around here.
Making a HO scale model of it wouldn’t be too tough, as there is a easily-obtained model of Sierra RR # 3, the 4-6-0 they actually used in the film and was the basis for the mockup time machine. What you’re looking for is the TYCO “1890” 4-6-0 which can be found on eBay with little problems: http://tycotrain.tripod.com/steamengines/id6.html The prototype for it is the engine used in the movie. Sierra # 3 is a standard gauge engine built in 1891 by Rogers locomotive works. She was retired in the 30s and rebuilt for operation by the Sierra in the late 40s for use on their line and all the movie work they were doing by then. She’s probably the most well-used locomotive in motion picture history: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24487
The Bachmann G scale 4-6-0 would be a bad choice for a time machine model, as it is very off in proportions for the Sierra engine. That model is actually a model of one of the Baldwin narrow gauge (3 foot) engines built for the East Tennessee & Western North Carolina RR, one of which (#12) still exists at Tweetsie RR at Blowing Rock, NC.

It was still there in '98 but that was before the ride was removed.

BTW, the Delorean that went with the train was on the ceiling of Planet Hollywood Honolulu as late as 2002.

main construction material is galvanized iron for strength and easier processing, then plastic, wood, aluminum and fiber glass
largest model scale 1 / 14 for display in the garden (few details)
model Scale 1 / 18 for display at home (full details)

I watched BTTF 1-3 over the past days, and asked myself the exact same question this morning. All my searches came up negative, including for a possible Aoshima.

Bumping the thread to check maybe if anybody knows if a replica model of the train is available / was ever made (toy of course) ?

Over the past few months in my spare time ive been modeling up the Time Train in SolidWorks in 1/24th scale... My plan is to print out some of the components on a 3d printer and most other parts will be scratchbuilt... Ive always wanted one in my model cabinet parked next to my delorean models... Still working on the correct proportions so here is a rough pic...

93452278.jpg

Last edited:
A Time Train? That would be an awesome addition to my collection! Too bad that I'm not that mechanically inclined to know how to build my own.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back