Did PVC pipe change size?

BlindSquirrel

Sr Member
...or am I nuts?

I built a rifle last summer with a 1-1/4" pipe that was inserted into a 1-1/2" pipe. Slid right in, no problem.

I go back to Home Depot, picked up the same sizes and now the 1-1/4" is 2 mm too big to be inserted.

I can't imagine that they'd change something like that but I'm stumped at this discovery.

PVC has a consistent OD with old cast iron pipes, so no they have not changed sizes ever it's a long standing standard...

ID on the other hand varies from brand to brand and even run to run, it's close but not always the same... There are also different schedule (SCH) ratings and this directly relates to the wall thickness...

PVC has a consistent OD with old cast iron pipes, so no they have not changed sizes ever it's a long standing standard...

ID on the other hand varies from brand to brand and even run to run, it's close but not always the same... There are also different schedule (SCH) ratings and this directly relates to the wall thickness...

Aaah, that makes sense! Thanks!

pvc .and cpvc which look similar ,are different as well

Yes, CPVC comes in two flavors, one (CPVC tubing) is dimensionally consistent with copper tubing OD, but it still comes in the standard schedules (CPVC pipe) that regular PVC comes in as well, that being consistent with cast iron OD...

Like I said the biggest issues is that there isn't a set hard held dimension for the ID...

I don't think you can get CPVC at over 1" at home depot. I don't know if there is a big difference between the thickness of foamcore or solid. They carry some funny gray pipe at that size over by the sprinkler stuff, and they also have some funny DWV stuff just for condensate drains.

That electrical conduit comes if sizes that large as well.

There are so many different plastic pipes now it's hard to say what you had without keeping some of it around after you did your fabrication. If you figure it out please PM me I'd like to know what pipe that is, see what the rating is and cut a piece up to use as couplings to save money. Fittings is expensive.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back