Metropolis False Maria Sculpt: New Completed Torso 5/12/11

Re: Metropolis False Maria Sculpt

I had heard a year or so ago, that a print of Metropolis had been found that contained most of (if not all of) the missing footage, so finally a complete version of the film could be made. I can't remember the details.
- k

The nearly-complete print of "Metropolis" had been found by Paula Félix-Didier, director of the cinema museum in Buenos Aires, 80 years after it was thought a quarter of the film was lost forever. The print arrived in Argentina in 1928, and was hidden in the Museo del Cine since 1992.

After its restoration, the Murnau Foundation, owner of the rights, will release it to festivals, theaters and DVD.

Premiere is on February 12th, 2010 in Berlin's Friedrichstadtpalast during the Berlinale film festival.

Opening today is a corresponding exhibition in the Deutsche Kinemathek - Museum für Film und Fernsehen (also in Berlin), which will run until April, 25th. On display is a model of the Robot, Karl Freund’s "unshackled camera", trick photography by art director Erich Kettelhut and a media installation using scenes of catastrophes from Fritz Lang’s films.

Cheers!
Falk

Re: Metropolis False Maria Sculpt: Boot Pics added 11/21/09

If any of our European members are attending please be sure to send us an update of the events!

Thanks

richie

More here

www.metropolis2710.de

And the Exhibition

http://osiris22.pi-consult.de/view.php3?show=5500008570724

The book with tons of previously unseen photos from the Cinematheque in Paris (ding dong the *******'s dead, we are free at last, damn you to hell Langlois !!!!)

http://www.amazon.de/Metropolis-Ber...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263124506&sr=1-1

And another previously unseen photo :
http://osiris22.pi-consult.de/main....3&Id_Session=bf6d44823dd1b4733ca288a41a72fb4d

And then we have a video about the exhibition on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wRLbnxgzIM

Last edited:

I'd also like to add that I'm completely blind, or stupid, or maybe both ...

For years I have been examining this picture for details on the robot and never noticed.

If anybody watches the movie, the robot does something highly unusual. In the introduction scene she gets up from its throne. Now if you look careful she gets up with a straight back, which is impossible unless you have hydraulic legs or something.

I had noticed a trap door in the throne in this image and figured they gave her a boost.

4295554840_98d4e1c10c_o.jpg

Now because of my previous post I'm looking at this photo and I suddenly notice the wooden frame behind the throne and figure that the guy at the back is there to nudge her to her feet using a long wooden lever.

4295554736_c2591257ac_o.jpg

Last edited:

Ive looked at this pic till my eyes bleed as well. The bottom of the seat lifts up via the long wooden pole. Its a large lever. I wondered how they kept her feet from sliding on the slick surface tho as they pushed her up.?

Patrick. Thanks for the linls!

Richie

Ive looked at this pic till my eyes bleed as well. The bottom of the seat lifts up via the long wooden pole. Its a large lever. I wondered how they kept her feet from sliding on the slick surface tho as they pushed her up.?

Patrick. Thanks for the linls!

Richie

Obviously they put something non slippery on the bottom of her feet such as rubber. She would keep them close to the throne and then simply get up as some of her weight is probably resting on her feet already.

Another thing is that this photo is not cropped like the other ones I have so you see the little lanyard they used to hold the mask in place and another piece that is hard to make out.

4295631996_3cc7704043_o.jpg

Looks like the face "tied" onto her head then the back was attached to the face. Thats interesting. I find it amazing how well they attached all of the peices of the costume and few appear readily visible.

Patrick. Can you copy/paste the "new pic" I cant get the link to open?

Whats the English Translation of the new pictorial book? I cant find it on Amazon?

Thanks

Richie

I remember getting a chill when she stood up in the movie the first time I watched the whole movie recently. Very effective and otherworldly how they made her move as the robot.

Looks like the face "tied" onto her head then the back was attached to the face. Thats interesting. I find it amazing how well they attached all of the peices of the costume and few appear readily visible.

Patrick. Can you copy/paste the "new pic" I cant get the link to open?

Whats the English Translation of the new pictorial book? I cant find it on Amazon?

Thanks

Richie

One possibility is that it was a connecting element between the top of the mask and the helmet to hide her hair or the piece that covers the throat

The book is simply called "Fritz Langs Metropolis" No other info yet.

As for her movements, robot dancing hadn't been invented yet, by making her move slowly and methodically they did convey a kind of robotic menace in the character.

I remember getting a chill when she stood up in the movie the first time I watched the whole movie recently. Very effective and otherworldly how they made her move as the robot.

Absolutely! Having seen this film in a theater setting just a few months ago, I have to say that introduction scene with the robot is still amazing. The movement is so mechanical. You believe it is truly a machine. Amazing work!

Love this thread! I'm a big Metropolis fan! Can't wait to see this finished!
Great work!

Patrick

Thanks for posting that pic..very interesting to see something new come to light!

The back of the helmet appears very "bulbous" .

The back doesnt seem to protrude up into the helmet quite as much as I thought it would. Maybe because shes sitting.

I love seeing that the costume had what appears to be a complete back. I had heard rumors that it never did.

Richie

Some recent updates of my Maria costume progress.

Completed arms:

DSCF4643.jpg

Resculpted upper arms:

DSCF4645.jpg

Back of arms:

DSCF4644.jpg

Full arms:

DSCF4641.jpg

Full front torso. Please ignore the belt! I havent rigged a harness as of yet. This did help me determine how Ill need to do that tho.:

DSCF4640.jpg

There are a few short videos posted on Youtube as well simply search for 41bobafett.

For those that know her that is Kie now all grown up.
Richie

Re: Metropolis False Maria Sculpt: New front Torso/arm pics 3/10/10

Nice progress. Always get such joy seeing the thread having new stuff in it! :thumbsup

Re: Metropolis False Maria Sculpt: New front Torso/arm pics 3/10/10

I can't wait to get home and see the pics unblocked!

Gregg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back