2001 Discovery pod seen in SW-Ep1?

Bryancd

Master Member
I don't know if anyone here gets Star Wars Insider, but this months issue is a celebration of the 10 year anniversary of Ep1. On page 30, top left, they have a picture of Liam Neeson and Watto walking out into the junkyard and a caption claims that a large, round piece of "junk" seen on their right is an actual pod from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I though all 2001 props were junked at Elstree way back when? Could this be accurate?

I don't know if anyone here gets Star Wars Insider, but this months issue is a celebration of the 10 year anniversary of Ep1. On page 30, top left, they have a picture of Liam Neeson and Watto walking out into the junkyard and a caption claims that a large, round piece of "junk" seen on their right is an actual pod from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I though all 2001 props were junked at Elstree way back when? Could this be accurate?

It could be from the 2010 movie.... Wait 1 year more and find out :lol

But do it say "actual prop from 2001" or "its from 2001" it can just mean that its from that movie. Like peoples Lightsabers are from starwars but that don't mean that its the actual screen used prop.

I remember seeing that and thinking, "So that's where the Monolith dumped Dave's pod after it was done with him?!" :lol

I remember seeing that and thinking, "So that's where the Monolith dumped Dave's pod after it was done with him?!" :lol

Good one :lol

It also appears on John Knoll' book, "Star Wars 365 Days"

2120.jpg

1172.jpg

That sucks. I'm pissed off that that happened to that prop. That's a very cool item and it should be in a museum. Not set up as trash in a film I do not respect. :angry I feel bad for the guys that originally built this item, their work has been disrespected.

That sucks. I'm pissed off that that happened to that prop. That's a very cool item and it should be in a museum. Not set up as trash in a film I do not respect. :angry I feel bad for the guys that originally built this item, their work has been disrespected.

To the best of my knowledge, all (or most) of the original 2001 props and models were ordered destroyed by Kubrick to prevent this very thing from happening...winding up in other films as modified props. So unfortunately, the wouldn't have been able to be displayed in a museum.

--Don

Oh relax, seriously. No one's work has been disrespected. At least, not in a meaningful way. 2001 can't be trashed in that way, it's made of teflon. No one who knows anything would possibly take this as any sort of reflection on the original.

In fact, what this does is elevate TPM significantly at no cost to 2001 :lol

To the best of my knowledge, all (or most) of the original 2001 props and models were ordered destroyed by Kubrick to prevent this very thing from happening...winding up in other films as modified props. So unfortunately, the wouldn't have been able to be displayed in a museum.

--Don

I have seen pics of the space station model sitting outside in a junkyard in the early '70's.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back