QMx plans 34" studio scale Abrams Enterprise from new Star Trek

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Didn't see this posted yet...

Presumably this will be similar to the model QMx produced for its "Enterprise Project" art piece...

http://www.quantummechanix.com/Enterprise_Project.html

epriseheader4filtered.jpg

QMx to produce ship models and other memorabilia for reimagined Trek

LOS ANGELES, CA — May 8, 2009–Quantum Mechanix Inc. (QMx) is pleased to announce that it has secured the rights from CBS Consumer Products to produce collectibles for the new Star Trek movie directed by J.J. Abrams.

Among the QMx collectible items will be studio-scale and mid-scale limited-edition replicas of ships that appear in Star Trek.

Already in the works is the Artisan Edition Studio-Scale U.S.S. Enterprise, a 34-inch-long film-quality replica with working lights and a screen-accurate paint job. Like all QMx Artisan replicas, the Enterprise will be 100% made-to-order in the U.S.A. with the finest detailing and greatest precision.

QMx has pioneered the U.S.-based development and manufacture of licensed, made-to-order ship replicas. Each Artisan ship is assembled, wired and painted by hand in a working model effects shop. This process, while more resource intensive and more time-consuming than overseas manufacture, ensures discerning collectors get a replica of unsurpassed quality.

QMx also plans to produce mid-scale replicas (~10 inches) of ships seen in the movie. These mid-scale replicas combine the best qualities of mass-produced studio-scale models – accurate design and hand-painted detailing – for a fraction of the price, offering the demanding collector a terrific value.

"J.J. Abrams’ vision for Star Trek – sci-fi’s most-venerated franchise – is nothing short of transcendent," said Andy Gore, QMx's president. "We’re deeply honored by this opportunity to develop collectibles that we hope will surprise and delight Star Trek fans."

Star Trek collectibles will be available in comic, collector and specialty stores around the country, and are also available directly at www.qmxonline.com.

Last edited:
Why cant they just do a kit, why do they always think things have to be built. I see MR all over again..Kev:angry

I have been seeing people post that question for YEARS and they always have the angry face. :angry :angry:angry:angry:angry

I have answered this several times before but since you may have missed it, here it is again...

The studios treat licensing for model kits VERY differently from replicas. When I was at MR, we had SO many ships that were made from injection-molded parts, I always said it would be a DUH to just sell them as kits...after all...all of the development and tooling is already done...slam dunk, right?

For whatever reason, the licensors always use the same 5 or 6 model kit companies and almost never (or rarely) allow other companies to get a kit license. We begged Lucasfilm to let us make kits. Many times. They either said "no" or told us it would be another several-million-dollar advance AND a new contract.

I have NO idea why licensors treat the kit licensing this way. It is the same with the "master toy license" They treat that one like the holy grail and whoever gets it pays WAAAAY more than the rest of the licensees pay for advances.

It isn't like the licensees haven't asked or tried. It is just that the licensors make it so difficult and expensive to obtain, that it isn't worth it.

So...THAT's why.

Cool?

I have been seeing people post that question for YEARS and they always have the angry face. :angry :angry:angry:angry:angry

I have answered this several times before but since you may have missed it, here it is again...

Your avatar pic really goes with that commentary! :lol

Thanks for that info Steve, I missed that was well. I had no idea there was such a "lock" for the model companies and toy companies. No wonder some kits stay with a company or license for literally decades.

Anyone know about how much the qmx model would sell for? I suspect it would be AT LEAST $1,500 considering the custom-build nature of it.

Will the QMX retail model be "custom built"? It seems the handmade ones they did for the "art project" could serve as the "master" for a piece mass produced in China just like the MR replicas.

Anyone know about how much the qmx model would sell for? I suspect it would be AT LEAST $1,500 considering the custom-build nature of it.

I think it will be priced much higher than just $300 above MR's Enterprise LE. I would think $2500 would be more likely considering they'll be custom made to order and produced in low quantities... and will have a much higher grade of craftsmanship and quality assurance than MR's E.

Interesting (and exciting) thread. Will The FX Company be involved in any future releases of the model or was their participation limited only to the display model shown above?

I think it will be priced much higher than just $300 above MR's Enterprise LE. I would think $2500 would be more likely considering they'll be custom made to order and produced in low quantities... and will have a much higher grade of craftsmanship and quality assurance than MR's E.

Wow, if that is the case I don't think they will sell many,

I didn't see anything spelled out in that QMX press release about the phaser. I'd really like to know who, if anyone, is going to be selling a high end collectible of the movie phaser.

Tom

I sent an email along to Qmx asking for a rough figure of how much the model will cost (I am not expecting a reply to this question, however I had to try)
I really hope they can keep the cost down somehow because I love this ship design and watching the movie has me loving it more.

Ive been waiting for my Serenity replica from them ever since I seen the firefly in LA at the Serenity con. and dinner. That was a scam on ebay. Lots of us got burnt on that one. But all us Serenity fans made the best of it. QMX was there.

POLAR LIGHTS announced that they would be making a KIT of the new movie Enterprise at this year's Wonderfest -- scale TBD. They did say to look for it NEXT summer, so we'll have a bit of a wait.

If QMX did a SMALLER version (11 to 15 inches long) I would consider it -- but I am running out of room to display monster size pieces. I own the MR Enterprise and, while I love it, it is the largest piece in my collection and I am having to scramble to find room for things like the upcoming Moebius 18-inch Jupiter II.

So, here's hoping they (QMX and POLAR LIGHTS/R2) offer fans a SMALLER option on the new movie Enterprise for those of us who do not have the room or the budget for the king-size models.

I hope Polar Lights decides on doing the new Enterprise in the scale of thier refit 'A' model.
Rule of thumb: the bigger the model, the better the detail. Large models just look better - but yeah, there is always the 'where the hell do I put this thing?' issue.
I'm one of those fans that wishes for a scale-accurate set of all the Enterprises - the original would be at least the scale of the Master Replicas version - which would mean that the Enterprise E would have to be like....frickin HUGE...ten feet??
Does anyone have a comparison chart that shows the size of all the ships??

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back