Lightsaber calc bubbles

Clutch

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Finally decided to crack open the calculator and get the bubble strip out. There is no comparison between the real deal and a repro. The bubbles are crystal clear and not as squashed together.

First, I unscrewed the back over and removed the main assembly from the case. The clear strip is held in place by plastic pins that are melted into the circuit board. I took a small needle file and popped it off by sticking the tip between the plastic and board.
exa01z.jpg

Here you can see the pins and how the bubbles are in a recessed area.
exa02z.jpg

I masked off the bubble area and cut the pins off with an exacto knife.
exa03z.jpg

Compared to an already finished one, you can see that the recessed area is the exact length the strip needs to be.
exa04z.jpg

I put the strip in a mitre box and carefully sawed the ends off.
exa06z.jpg

Now it is personal preference. Leave the strip tall or sand it down. I wanted mine to fit in the clamp better, so I sanded the bottom down. To do this, I started with 100 grit sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood. I then slid the strip back and forth to sand it down. I made sure to flip it every now and then to get an even sanding. I then worked my way up to finer and finer grains of sandpaper. Once sanding was finished, I completed it with some Novus scratch remover and polish.
exa05z.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I dont build Lightsabers, but how the hell did someone ever figure out this is what the 'bubble strip' was from :confused

Nice 1 Clutch!:thumbsup

I'm still looking for the correct calculator, I keep missing them on the bay:cry

Any sources? where I can get 1:love
Mark.........

I found a case of mint ones in my grandfather's attic.

Not! lol! I got mine from fleabay as well.

Ok, I dont build Lightsabers, but how the hell did someone ever figure out this is what the 'bubble strip' was from :confused

That would be a fun story to hear. Not hard to believe that someone who was into props had once taken apart a calculator and knew how the old LED style was set up and just looked for one with the right number of lenses.

IMO the most amazing discovery was the balance pipe. The obscure nature of the drawings that had to exist on the net in order to be searched, and the tiny little part in an exploded drawing which was the first clue. The false starts, wrong variants, uncertainty, and the many people involved--that was an amazing investigation.

I looked around too. Everyone who sells them apart 1 sells them too long. Maybe someone her should start an accurate run for all the lightsabers that Russ has made lol Mmm....there's and idea;)

Regards
TAZ

The ones from Blast-tech are fine but I've wished for years that someone would either make a pressure cast of an un-modified real bubble strip in a high density crystal-clear resin or have them milled and machined out of clear acrylic or lexan.

I've never seen a replica bubble strip that even comes close to the correct shape and profile of a real one.

The ones from Blast-tech are fine but I've wished for years that someone would either make a pressure cast of an un-modified real bubble strip in a high density crystal-clear resin or have them milled and machined out of clear acrylic or lexan.

I've never seen a replica bubble strip that even comes close to the correct shape and profile of a real one.

You've nailed it. It's a shame because the Parks incorrect strip is probably the best in this respect. IIRC it has all of the correct elements on the back.

That's just it, they are OK, not great replicas.

But thats probably the best they are ever going to get. I dont think this is one of those items that really merits an all out "deluxe" version. I doubt enough people would want to pay more than what they already do for a replica calc bubble set. After all, its not like these are really that hard to find and when you do find them, they dont go for outrageous prices, either. Heck, I was even able to recoup a good portion of the money I spent on the vintage calcs by reselling them on eBay. The guy who runs that vintage TI calc website bought them. And yes, I fully disclosed how I had "modified" them.:)

I was even able to recoup a good portion of the money I spent on the vintage calcs by reselling them on eBay. The guy who runs that vintage TI calc website bought them. And yes, I fully disclosed how I had "modified" them.:)

Really? People are willing to buy them with the strips removed? Good to know.

Really? People are willing to buy them with the strips removed? Good to know.

From what I've been told, the replica calc bubbles we normally use for our sabers will also work in the calcs. Assuming you didnt damage any of the electronics when removing the strip and that it worked in the first place, I guess it can be made to work again with a replica set.

From what I've been told, the replica calc bubbles we normally use for our sabers will also work in the calcs. Assuming you didnt damage any of the electronics when removing the strip and that it worked in the first place, I guess it can be made to work again with a replica set.

SWEET! :love

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back