Blade Runner Pflager Katsumata PKD - (Pic Heavy)

KramStaar

Sr Member
Recently I was inspired by the photographs of the original Blaster up for auction (and naturally also Karl T's stupendous resource) to upgrade the 2nd hand PKD I had tampered around with a number of months ago.

I stripped the piece down and worked from the ground up replacing some elements (like the trigger guard) and repairing others (the original LED's that had been removed by the original owner).

I never liked the cut wires seen in Karl's original pictures because I felt it looked like the blaster would malfunction but, after seeing them (badly) repaired for the auction, I decided to insert a set. I felt a slightly lighter gauge wire than those featured in the original was called for and I also opted for 2 wires instead of 4.

I also never felt comfortable with the "On-off" switch because it smacked of something foreign to a firearm and certainly unlike anything I was used to with the weapons I used to carry, so I left the switch off.

This is still a WIP because the triggers need to be changed as do some other components. This is not intended to be a screen accurate version, but rather a hybrid piece and a celebration of one of the most beautiful replica's made by the especially gifted Rick Ross (http://www.pflagerkatsumata.com/).

I hope this is of some interest....

Raats001.jpg

Raats002.jpg

Raats003.jpg

Raats004.jpg

Raats005.jpg

Raats006.jpg

Raats007.jpg

Raats008.jpg

Raats009.jpg

Raats010.jpg

Raats011.jpg

Raats012.jpg

Card Reproductions:

Raats013.jpg

I've moved the cards to the Paper Prop thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?p=868446#post868446

Last edited:
Re: Pflager Katsumata Series D PKD - (Pic Heavy)

Many thanks for the kind words guys..

For those wanting copies of the card, herewith two versions - one new and the other old and buggered. The details are as accurate as my old eyes can determine.

The main font (square) is accurate and I recall that it was popular in the late 70's and early 80's. The body font seems like it could be a Humanist variant. I can't recall if this was popular back then but hopefully it will suffice.

Edit: The card artwork has been moved to the Paper Prop thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?p=868446#post868446

Enjoy..

Last edited:

Your Pflager is Pfantastic. :cool

And thanks for the shout out! I'm always very pleased to see the fine replicas that have been done from, at least in part, my photos. :thumbsup

Regards the wires, if what we are told is to be believed, the wires were always there but covered with black electrical tape! The Tomenosuke Blog has a photo of the actual electrical tape! :lol

http://tenshu53.exblog.jp/tags/Profiles+in+History/

- k

Last edited:

Your Pflager is Pfantastic. :cool

And thanks for the shout out! I'm always very pleased to see the fine replicas that have been done from, at least in part, my photos. :thumbsup

Regards the wires, if what we are told is to be believed, the wires were always there but covered with black electrical tape! The Tomenosuke Blog has a photo of the actual electrical tape! :lol

http://tenshu53.exblog.jp/tags/Profiles+in+History/

- k

Cheers Karl, without sounding over the top, your pics revolutionized the entire franchise because it was the first good look at something we had generally thought had been lost. I think its also vitally important for the rest of us to remember how difficult it is to shoot a model of that kind and still keep the important bits sharp and clear - especially since I'm convinced that you had only a very limited window of opportunity open to you. You not only provided good images, but you provided far more than any of us could have hoped for...

Yep, I saw the entry re the wires and I have read other people's observations on the use of tape. I think what worried me about the cut one's was that they were just that - 'cut' and broken or cut things on a weapon just didn't work for me. Seeing them restored rested easier with me - even though they were so badly restored - because it implied something that 'functioned'. My own thoughts were that the heavier wire looked out of place and a little heavy handed - and thus my decision to use a lighter gauge wire.

Mate, cheers again for your comments and for sharing your pictures with the rest of us..

I have to admit I really love your builds and your photos, as I told you on propsummit. I just had to say it again here too. You really put a lot of nice touches into your photo shoots with the photo frame text like Leon's photos, and the title card taken from the 1981 shots. Top notch work from top to bottom.

Andy

I concur, the rust really makes this piece! Excellent weathering, I must remember this for future projects. :)

Jay

I have to admit I really love your builds and your photos, as I told you on propsummit. I just had to say it again here too. You really put a lot of nice touches into your photo shoots with the photo frame text like Leon's photos, and the title card taken from the 1981 shots. Top notch work from top to bottom.

Andy

Cheers again all..

Andy, thanks too for the kind words re the photo's. Although I work in the industry I can't help but confess to being a huge BR fan and your fabulous resource on Propsummit is a treasure trove.

Its a great thing to be able to have access to boards (and talent) like RPF and Propsummit and we owe you guys a debt of gratitude...

Thanks again!

Excellent build! Thanks for sharing. I particularly like the metal finish you got on the top portion of the gun - did you use any special technique? I'm most impressed with the dark rust spots on the flats, to be honest - that's a really cool effect. Thanks also for the card artwork, really cool.

I thought I'd share a pic of a REALLY rusty PKD - you really need to keep these things oiled, or they go south on you! :lol Hope it's OK posting this in your thread. If you want me to pull it, just LMK. This is a build done by Rick Ross, BTW.

P1020654.JPG

P1020666.JPG

IIRC that is real rust, and Rick used a iron based paint and a chemical to make it rust.

Andy

Quote:

I thought I'd share a pic of a REALLY rusty PKD - you really need to keep these things oiled, or they go south on you! :lol Hope it's OK posting this in your thread. If you want me to pull it, just LMK. This is a build done by Rick Ross, BTW.

P1020666.JPG

LOL... Noo, I'm thrilled and intrigued to see this build so please leave these exactly where they are. Cheers a bunch for sharing!

Last edited:

I'll ask Rick about the paint. IIRC he told me he got it at a craft/decorating store.

Andy

I'm sorry but that's too much rust. There's a difference between a well worn patina and something that was found with the titanic.

Pete

I'm sorry but that's too much rust. There's a difference between a well worn patina and something that was found with the titanic.

Pete
If I recall correctly, the back-story of that particular piece is supposed to be that it was unearthed in an archeological dig that takes place like 100 years after the Blade Runner time-line.

So it is honked-up like that on purpose. Notice how the name on the box is "The Relic?"

Rick scratched and gouged the gun as well as poked holes in it to make it look as ancient as he could. As N6 said, it was supposed to look like artifact from the future. He loved the whole playing with Timelines thing, as he played with ideas of alternate realities with the German and Japanese names (Pflager Katsumata) on the PKD to go along With P.K. Dick's 'Man in the High Castle', and the name 'Doppleganger' from the Gerry Anderson movie of the same name (AKA 'Journey to the Far Side of the Sun').

Andy

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back