Star Wars: The Clone Wars Obi-Wan costume. V 2.0 Update #19

Darth Mule

Sr Member
Scroll Down for update on post #19

My newest personal venture. I started this wanting to do the previous series version with the full clone trooper armor, but once I fell in love with the new series, it was all over. Less bulk and cooler armor.

forsale%20002.JPG

I started with this as a pepakura file from SPC: Armorhttp://skipspepakuracostumes.blogspot.com/search/label/Armor. He has some amazing stuff. He does charge around $8 bucks per file, but trust me. It's worth it. You get what you pay for and the free stuff is mostly crap unless you're doing Halo.

after getting the pep built and fiberglassing the insideI started to clean, shape, and bondo everything. The pauldrons cleaned up beautifully. Although I have learned one important lesson with the pepakura... Only glass one side so you can remove the paper afterward. The paper tended to come through during sanding and cleanup and caused a few problems. Alternatively, you could just glass the outside since, in theory, you won't need to clean the inside much. I should note that after I layed the silicone to reproduce these I nearly discarded the master outside where it was in the 90s for about 3 days this week. The heat (I assume) caused the buildup to separate further from the paper. Good thing I already have my cast.

pauldrons.JPG

The chest was the scab I couldn't stop picking. I glassed it, sanded and bondoed it, cleaned, shaped, and generally labored over it before I looked at some reference pics that I should have been looking at the whole time. Turns out the pepakura file was slightly off. The three ribs to the sides of the center section ran fully from back to front. The series armor actually only does this on the two outside ribs. A few minutes with the trusty Dremel fixed this, but now the neck opening was too wide. I took a half inch out of the center front to compensate and cobbled it back together. Then I added half inch to the outside edges to bring the shoulders back to a respectable width. I also cleaned up and altered the appearance of the two outside ribs. I also decided to remove the entire back section to make it easy to get on and off, an idea inspired by Chris' (defyitall) armor. I plan on replacing it with magnets. Finally I'm back to where I was before I ripped everything apart and this is ready to go under the rubber.

chest.JPG

I was trying not to take on too much with the legs. I have a plan, but it requires a lot more space and equipment than I currently have. So for now I will settle for temporarily altering my OSCS clone shins. What I did here is secure enough to stay put, yet will be able to be ripped off with some effort. I plan to eventually sell my whole armor set in the near future and get one of the animated sets in its place. I just like the look better... I digress... I basically used scrap styrene to construct some quick and dirty knees to attach to the shins. Turned out pretty well IMO. Will definitely do the trick until I can make some permanent legs.

legs.jpg

The belt is mostly finished. I still need a buckle and to finish the pouches. I got a really nice shape out of them but stopped short of gluing the backs together as I started thinking of different ways to make getting my belongings out of them more easily with a drop down function of sorts. The pouches are fairly thin and while they will easily fit a cell phone, cash and whatever necessities, getting your hand in to get them out may be problematic.

belt.jpg

Next up will be dealing with the soft parts. I plan to use under armor for the bodysuit and the tunic is in the final mock-up stage. I'll have to get some pics of that soon, but I since I lose what outside workspace I have in a couple weeks, the armor has taken precedence. Still have to worry about the arms, but I may have a lead on that.

Last edited:
Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Obi-Wan costume. WIP *Intense pics

Great job, Chris. I'm looking forward to watching the progress.

armor2.jpg

Just a small update... Got the chest armor under silicone last week and started glassing. I actually did 2 pulls in fiberglass, and a 3rd in smooth-cast resin reinforced with glass cloth just for fun. Not sure which will be my final piece. Still need to finish the back panel, but everything is coming along smoothly. Got the shins painted and will get some pics after I do the distressing.

My homage to defyitall's armory. Much smaller though.

armor.jpg

Thanks! Though I'm starting to get nervous. Down to my last week of workspace and I still have to cast and pull the backplate, spot fill and paint the shoulders, and completely finish the chest. Starting to think using my shoulder master for my costume isn't a bad idea as it just needs white paint and distressing.

Still waiting on more pics to flow in. Had to put all the parts together for the first time at Dragon Con. Needless to say it needs a little tweaking. Chest needs some adjustment, The neckseal didn't even fit, so I had to go without. My life went into a place where I couldn't carry things with me, so some stuff had to get packed up 2 months ago to go to a friend that could take it to DC for me.

Not a terribly unsuccessful first run. The next will be better. The legs need replaced soon and the arms were cobbled together last minute out of large plastic drink cups from target.

3910729869_0e4c9a8a0f.jpg

And just for funsies. My stunt arms. I totally cobbled these together without my trusty dremel (which would have made this a whole lot easier).

I had arranged a trade for the arms with another member and may have overestimated the turn around time on the projects we were both working on. Needless to say, I needed a quick solution as the rest of the costume was ready to go and the arms were the only thing I lacked.

Defyitall (or Westside Obi as I call him) gave me his recipe that utilized toilet brush holders from Target. Alas, they no longer exist. Instead I Found these nested cups (44 oz? 32?) at Target for $1.99 for a set of two (One black, one white). I'm currently in NYC working a show, and all my tools are at home in storage, so I was working with an extremely limited set of tools. Pretty much sandpaper, a hacksaw, and tinsnips... I cut off just enough of the bottom of one cup to get my hand through. Then cut off about 2 inches of the top portion of the second cup. Sanded the tops to give the glue something to tack to, flipped the lips to meet, and epoxied them together. Ended up that 5 minute epoxy worked better than either the plastic welder or super glue. I filled the heavier seams with PC-11, then Bondo glaze in a tube to smooth it all. The elbow extension (not pictured in working pics) I cut from the remainder of the cups, then borrowing a heat gun from the shop my office is located in, did my best to get the conical shape out of them before gluing them to the forearm.

That's about it. The biceps were from a plactic bucket. I just them as a straight piece, them overlapped them together. They're terribly cobbled, but you can't tell without getting really close.

3915870840_c97368f2c0.jpg

3915086213_25304cd305.jpg

3915086315_c6970ba9c0.jpg

3915086405_201bde66b0.jpg

Looks great Chris. Pretty much what I did with the toilet brush holders...except they were toilet brush holders not cups. So yeah, same concept. Cones attached at the wide end.

great scratchbuild - love the creativity put into making the arms! very cool :)

Great job! Wow, and at last minute it still comes through and looks great...

I love the Clone Wars armor, but I would probably have to cobble together my own much like you did as there probably isn't anything out there that would fit my shoulders...I'm kind of small...

But really in truly, i loved seeing the progress and great creativity when it came to doing the arms...absolutely fantastic work!

Looks fantastic!! You make a good one too. :)

Thanks all. Wow! This one was dredged up from the depths.

Sadly my schedule didn't allow me to put this whole thing together in the same location. I moved between 3 different states between the onset of the summer and Dragon Con, so I was building things in different areas and left the brunt of what I had finished with a friend in Atlanta so I wouldn't have to worry about taking it on a plane. As a result, Some things didn't fit together when they all met Saturday night at Dragon Con.

I'm currently working on v. 2.0
The chest sculpt is being tweaked for a new FG pull but is falling behind the Ahsoka and Twilek projects in priority. In theory I have something worked out with an animated clone armor-maker for some new forearms, but would eventually like to work it out where I can produce all the parts on my own and even do the chest in vac-form.

The tunic came out flawlessly, but I still want to redo it because I got a notion that I would have rather used a different fabric. I used a lightweight wool crepe, but then decided silk noil would have been a better choice. Silly I know. Armor first. Tunic nitpicky later.

I would probably have to cobble together my own much like you did as there probably isn't anything out there that would fit my shoulders...I'm kind of small...

How small are you? Shoulders don't tend to vary too much. Measure across your back from shoulder socket to shoulder socket. I think mine's about 18".

Otherwise, not to hard to cobble together. Just get some Sintra and go to town.

Sadly my schedule didn't allow me to put this whole thing together in the same location. I moved between 3 different states between the onset of the summer and Dragon Con, so I was building things in different areas

Boy I can sympathize with that, I currently have three costumes in progress and a droid spread across two states and working on them in a pain since I do not have a well established workshop. The costume looks great though and I look forward to 2.0.

Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Obi-Wan costume. Update. V 2.0 post 19

Been awhile since I posted any new costume progress on anything. Thought this was a good place to start. I've been picking at this for the last 6 months or so. Started the new chest with sintra and began building up when I decided I wasn't going to achieve the same curve in the front that I had on my old set, so I chopped the old one up, and married the two. For this set I wanted to do the little turn up at the shoulder as it appears in the series.
4911539817_f9d5106585.jpg
4911539741_c08e3e6f2e.jpg

The shin armor is still in progress. Needs knees. I explored several avenues with this. Discovered that sculpting foam is not my forte. Went to cardboard and built a skeleton. Covered it in posterboard. Cast it in hydrocal and vac-formed that puppy at a friends work. Now I need to make my own machine so I can do this again. So fun.

4912142508_49fc84a578.jpg
4912142546_c7355773d4.jpg

This is just a sneak peek. Hope to have the whole thing finished by Dragon Con. Got a ways to go yet. More pics to come.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back