2009 Movie Phaser - MODIFICATIONS complete...

Re: 2009 Movie Phaser - MODIFICATION begins...

Looking forward to this one! I picked up the playmates phaser last night myself. I'm repainting mine as I just can't stand the chrome on the bottom part. It looks too much like a toaster to me.

Anyone know what kind of paint would simulate the duller look of the top portion?

Oh...and anyone looking to repaint theirs....EASY OFF will take off that chrome in about 10 seconds flat and not damage the plastic. I found this out the hard way after I sanded most of mine and resorted to Easy Off to get the chrome out of the panel lines...:wacko

I just finished mocking up the Motorized Stun / Kill Nozzle modification.
Here is a youtube video of it's function so far :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aYgixTSNCY

A long ways to go still.........

propmaster2000

Thats nice work! What kind of motor did you use? It'd be great if you could post a tutorial on how to complete this mod as i'm sure most members here will be a bit disappointed with their nozzle flip after seeing yours!

It would be mighty tough to show ''step by step'' modifications on the movie phaser since I am doing it pretty much on the fly.
I am using surplus parts I find around the shop and basically just using the force.
I guess if anyone is interested in modifying there own phaser, they could see what I am doing with mine (via the pictures in this thread) and engineer a much easier way to do it :)

I will have to use a "worm gear" and modified center shaft on the nozzle assembly as shown below:

img1654a.jpg

The motor will have to be put in at a slight angle to accommodate its size and location and a portion of the internal plastic was also dremeled out.

I am still trying to keep the orignal electronics intact, but its becoming a real challenge. The wires for the red and blue leds will now run through the bottom shaft, originally they ran through the top shaft.
I also had to create a new pivot point for the nozzle assembly in the outer shell as well.

img1656a.jpg

Will now have to add two super-micro switches to stop the motor at each stopping point.

Depending on which nozzle is forward.

propmaster2000

Last edited:

It would be mighty tough to show ''step by step'' modifications on the movie phaser since I am doing it pretty much on the fly.
I am using surplus parts I find around the shop and basically just using the force.
I guess if anyone is interested in modifying there own phaser, they could see what I am doing with mine (via the pictures in this thread) and engineer a much easier way to do it :)

I will have to use a "worm gear" and modified center shaft on the nozzle assembly as shown below:

img1654a.jpg

The motor will have to be put in at a slight angle to accommodate its size and location and a portion of the internal plastic was also dremeled out.

I am still trying to keep the orignal electronics intact, but its becoming a real challenge. The wires for the red and blue leds will now run through the bottom shaft, originally they ran through the top shaft.
I also had to create a new pivot point for the nozzle assembly in the outer shell as well.

img1656a.jpg

Will now have to add two super-micro switches to stop the motor at each stopping point.

Depending on which nozzle is forward.

propmaster2000

Thanks for posting your WIP pics :) Gives me an idea where to start! Have you thought about using reed switches for the nozzle?

Well it seems that there are many ways to make the nozzle rotate from Stun to Kill and back again. I have done it two different ways.

(of course another way would be how they did it in the original phaser prop).

The first way would be to but the motor ''in'' the nozzle body, as I did to begin with.

img1692a.jpg

The second way would be to use a worm-gear assembly and have the motor drive the nozzle rotation from the phaser body (as shown below):

img1656a.jpg

In fact, that is how it is now and I think I will leave it :)
I did add the micro-switches to the ''stop rotation'' and it all works great!
Here is a video of the worm-gear motor enhancement on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsXsfx1Icxk

I still have to put a ''direction of rotation switch'' in the upper control adjustment on the phaser, but that shouldn't be to tough. I think the hardest part was making the nozzle rotate and not crap out...

Next I will start putting the original electronics back in and get the sound and LED's functional again :)

Propmaster2000

Last edited:

That is some amazing work! :thumbsup

The Achilles heel of this whole thing is that the Playmates phasers will require a lot (!) of sanding, re-finishing, and the addition of some weight to be brought up to a "prop quality" state. How are you planning on finishing your phaser once the electronics are finalized, etc.?

Looking forward to this one! I picked up the playmates phaser last night myself. I'm repainting mine as I just can't stand the chrome on the bottom part. It looks too much like a toaster to me.

Anyone know what kind of paint would simulate the duller look of the top portion?

Oh...and anyone looking to repaint theirs....EASY OFF will take off that chrome in about 10 seconds flat and not damage the plastic. I found this out the hard way after I sanded most of mine and resorted to Easy Off to get the chrome out of the panel lines...:wacko

I'm gonna try a light dusting of Krylon Flat Clearcoat. I have this cheap chrome sword I got at Disneyland to test it on before I try it on the phaser. I'll let you know.

If your looking for a source for the chrome paint look try alclad, they use it on model trains and such for the chrome pieces, they also have a dull chrome, gunmetal and other finishes, they come out looking perfect with a mirror smooth finish.

I've used it once, it comes in small vials, so you might need to order more than you think but it's pretty cheap, you have to do a black coat underneath first, and you have to use the alclad black coat, not just any black primer, other than that it's just spray, long drying time, and if you don't get even coats on it gets thick and won't look right, it's took me about 3 trys before I got it, but haven't used it since, maybe someone else has had better outcomes, but I'm not very used to using a airbrush in the first place

Thanks Jet Beetle :)

I think over the weekend I will see how much of the original electronics I can stiil use...

propmaster2000

Man, it looks so good. Once you get yours completed, are you going to be offering to do modifications at cost, or is it too much of a time consuming/expensive process?

I would consider modifying other phasers, but since I used a motor and worm gear combo found around here (surplus), it makes it difficult to take on the project.

I think if I come across another motor and gear, I would modify a phaser (do a one off) then put it up for auction....

Since I have already done the prototyping (and taken tons of pictures of the procedure), doing future modifications should go smoother, keeping the time and expense to a minimum :)

Last night, I was able to get the original electronics circuit, speaker and switches back in to the phaser. The red and blue led's light up, but I have to paint the nozzles better because the light shows through the paint, doh! :confused

propmaster2000

Last edited:

Looking good! Did anyone notice if they touched the top of the phaser to rotate the barrel in the movie or was it the same button used as the toy? If so where would the phasers trigger be?! To me it makes more sense for the dial on top to adjust the setting/barrel position. I'm looking to remove the nasty toy looking trigger button as it's not present on the real prop.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back