BTTF Nike Air Mag Replicas...my new project

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Since these are more of a prop than a costume I hope this thread stays in the PF.

I bought these magnificent replica 2015 Air Mag Nike shoes from our very own Markpoon. I told him I would write up a review, so here goes...

These came shipped, very well packed and arrived at my doorstep from Singapore in about 7 days (Very Fast). These are size 9.5 and I actually could fit my 10.5 foot into them but probably would've stretched them out walking around, thought they are quite comfortable.

The accurate parts are the colors of the sole and top part of the shoe. The actual design of the shoe is REALLY great! From 3 feet away these look like the real prop shoes. These are simply well made and are THE best BTTF Air Mags out there. I doubt if anyone will match the quality of these for the price.

There are obvious differences between these and the screen used shoes. The fabric is a grey metalic lycra and has a seam on the inner side of both shoes. I assume the seam is there becasue it was the only way to get the fabric to wrap around the shoe. The other deifferences are the toe sits a little high instead of having a lower profile. The soles of the shoes are darn near spot on to the real deal with the exception of less blue splattering on the grey part and the "aged" look of the yellowed checker sole part. The last difference is that the top white material should be leather, instead these are made from a shiny white lycra.

I am extremely happy with these and I happily add them fo my collection. I will add more pics as I progress. But you can see these here Half way down the page)...

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=55205&highlight=nike

These shoes do not come with any LED's, EL sheet or NIKE logos. But this is where my project begins...

IMG_7275.jpg

I have these also, but i purchased mine when they still included the Nike swoosh and light-up Nike logo.
I assume the seller stopped making the 'Nike' versions due to legal troubles?? Not sure - but I hope he would be willing to make the Nike versions upon request.
These are the best replicas made to date - not an easy task to make replicas of shoes. These were made by a professional sneaker manufacterer - a costly venture that I am happy SOMEONE took the time and financial effort to go after.
They are not perfect, but honestly, for how great they turned out and how hard it would be to top them, they are damn awesome and I am very proud to have them in my collection.

When I take a look on the nike shoes, you can buy some time ago, I must ssay that these shoes look a lot better than the other pair... Great work...

So, I hope we can see progress soon...

Will these shoes be still wearable, when you add all the LEDs and Logos?!?

I think about to order a pair, just for wearing, and after some time I can put them in my display... :) But size 9 dont fit...

Last edited:
So, I hope we can see progress soon...

Will these shoes be still wearable, when you add all the LEDs and Logos?!?

No, these won't be wearable with the lights turned on because of the batteries required to run all the LED's and EL sheet converter.

You can remove the batteries and then they are wearable.

Thanks,
Brad

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the review :lol Glad you like the shoes & good luck with your conversion project! The shoes can be worn with the lights on... from what I know, the battery pack was strap around MJF's waist & the wires runs from the shoe, round his feet & to his waist, pretty cool idea huh :)

Hi GeneralFROSTY,

These shoes are individually hand made, not mass produced in a sneaker factory & they don't come with any NIKE logos :cry

Last edited:
Hi Brad,

Thanks for the review :lol Glad you like the shoes & good luck with your conversion project! The shoes can be worn with the lights on... from what I know, the battery pack was strap around MJF's waist & the wires runs from the shoe, round his feet & to his waist, pretty cool idea huh :)

Hi GeneralFROSTY,

These shoes are individually hand made, not mass produced in a sneaker factory & they don't come with any NIKE logos :cry

So WHO did I buy my shoes from??? Mine are the SAME shoes you are selling, only they came with ALL the Nike details AND the light-up EL logo.
I was told only 500 pairs were made - I even was sent pics of the prototype sole of the shoe. I want to know what happened to the seller who was offering these with the missing details - because strangely, the pics we see on Ebay of the shoes now look exactly like the pics we had seen before when the shoes were offered with the NIke details. This leads me to believe that it is from the same seller, which would suggest that he was slapped by Nike....
Any thoughts on this???

Thanks Alec and Mike. Here is the progress.

I made a little more progress. I also ordered some turquoise LED's. I will see how these work.

I splatter painted the soles and added the vinyl white NIKE swoosh. I will be doing the light up soles and the rear logos next!

IMG_7289.jpg

IMG_7290.jpg

Brad

JediFyfe,
I have these shoes and would like to customize them a bit as you have. Can you share with me what color and brand paint you used for the speckling - as well as the method you used to do it.
My shoes have all the logos on the heel which may be tough to work around - however, they are made out of a thin rubber material and look like they can be peeled off.
Will you be making a more accurate raised logo detailing for your shoes?? If so, I would like to get in on that if I could - also, how did you achieve the lights on the side? If you could help me with my shoes that would be appreciated.

Jedifyfe,
I need some help customizing my shoes as you have yours.
Mine have the light-up Nike Logo and the logos on the side and back, but I want to achieve the same colored speckling you did - I also want to add the lights on the side like yours.
The logos on the back of mine are made of a thin foam-rubbery material and look like they can be peeled off easily. Not sure what you have planned for your shoes, but the real shoes have a more raised logo detailing on the back.
If you come up with a great solution, would you be willing to help customize mine?
Let me know what you can do - I look forward to seeing what you come up with...

JediFyfe,
I have these shoes and would like to customize them a bit as you have. Can you share with me what color and brand paint you used for the speckling - as well as the method you used to do it.
My shoes have all the logos on the heel which may be tough to work around - however, they are made out of a thin rubber material and look like they can be peeled off.
Will you be making a more accurate raised logo detailing for your shoes?? If so, I would like to get in on that if I could - also, how did you achieve the lights on the side? If you could help me with my shoes that would be appreciated.

No problem,
Here is what I did:

For the speckle painting I just bought Testor Enamel paint: Dark Blue, Gloss White and Green (those are names of the colors on the bottles). I mixed about 1/3 white into the dark blue and added a tiny bit of green to make it that turquoise blue color and just did it by eye. I diluded it with thinner and then I used the old toothbrush method. You definitely have to mask around the top part and all of the "clear" cloe part. It goes pretty easy. The paint takes about 20 minutes to dry.

As for the LED's what I did was, I used an exacto knife to peel off the clear ankle light cover (it peels off fairly easy) After I did that I used the exacto knife to poke the three holes in the ankle light area and make the 3 holes large enough for the 5mm LED's. You have to cut a 2 inch slit in the interior shoe fabric to access the ankle lighting from the inside. I bought a package of assorted LED's from Radio Shack. It comes with Red,Yellow, Green and Orange (but you only use red,green and yellow). I also bought a package of 220 ohm resistors, 9V battery connectors and 2 9V batteries.

Test fit the 3 LED's into the ankle holes that you made from the inside out. Then you just solder them together with the resistor and 9V battery connector like this:

LED3.gif

Then just poke them through the holes and hot glue the clear ankle light cover back on.

What I will be doing when I get the turquoise LED's for the soles is attaching a switch so I don't have to unplug the battery to turn it off. I also am getting an EL sheet for the NIKE strap logo.

As for the rear logos. I am not sure what I will use. I am looking into materials.

I hope this helps.

Brad

Brad, you should offer an accurization kit for the rest of us who can't cut or wire to save our lives! :lol

You know waht is funny is that this is the first time I have ever worked with LED's. It is SOOOO easy, really. I can help anyone with this. The most expensive part of doing this is buying the cheapest $8 soldering iron.

Brad

You know waht is funny is that this is the first time I have ever worked with LED's. It is SOOOO easy, really. I can help anyone with this.

I can vouch for this statement. Honestly, the hardest part of making a simple LED set up, is working out the correct resistor(s) needed for the power supply you'll be using. But all you have to do is hop over to the LED Calculator website, and it'll do all the work for you.

It's darn near impossible to muck up soldering an LED to a wire. Just let your iron heat the wire and/or lead just enough to melt the solder when it touches them. Capillary action takes care of the rest. Then seal everything up with some shrink tube or electrical tape. It doesn't need to look pretty. It'll all be hidden inside the shoe.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back