NuBSG Rank Chart v7.1

137th Gebirg

Hello all...

After many months (actually, probably over a year now), I've gotten back to upgrading my NuBSG ranks chart to include all those devices that are now known post-auction, including the Warrant Officers. I've also done considerable accurization on the ones that have been more well-known for some time. Many thanks to those generous fans who purchased them and provided photos of them. Without further ado, the latest (and hopefully final) version of the ranks chart. Enjoy!

Great work as always! :D But not to nit-pick it, but I'm pretty sure the "Warrant officer" rank was called a LT Colonel pin by production/cast. :)

Great work as always! :D But not to nit-pick it, but I'm pretty sure the "Warrant officer" rank was called a LT Colonel pin by production/cast. :)

Thanks much to all for the kind words. Most appreciated.

Re: WO/Lt.Colonel:

AH, yes! You have no idea how many discussions I've gotten into about this very subject in the past 2 days.

This pic of Fisk in "Razor":
fiskt.jpg

Indeed does have a -slightly- different look to it, and there are some production notes to this effect. Problem is, it's also the exact same anomalous device used by "Lieutenant" Dualla in "Lay Down Your Burdens Pt. 2":
dualla.png

It is, in reality, originally a standard Warrant Officer grade (on my chart). The Lt. Colonel confusion was exacerbated in the recent auctions of the props and costume devices. These auctions also unfortunately give reference to bizarre never-heard-on-screen grades such as "Crewman Apprentice", "Crew Sergeant", "Crew Senior Chief", "Sergeant 1st Class", "Junior Lieutenant", "Senior Lieutenant", etc. - names that had nothing to do with reality, unfortunately.

There was also the fact that Seelix was made an Ensign in order to be a pilot, yet they used Lt.JG devices on her collar, hence the usage of the same design in my chart, just all in gold, rather than the usual gold/nickel finish that's on all the others.

Several other such strange inconsistencies occured throughout the show's run - in "Captain's Hand", Apollo wore both Captain and Major devices, flipping back and forth while all the while being addressed as Major in the same episode. The costuming department also couldn't decide if he should have the Senior Pilot Quailification Badge once he was promoted to Commander of Pegasus. He did early on in late Season 3, but then flipped back to the Junior Wings at the beginning and remaining run of Season 4.
majorcomparison1ws.jpg

I can tell you it was a real bear to try to reconcile this chart with all the inconsistencies that the costuming department introduced throughout the series. Every time I thought I had something nailed down, they do some other weirdness that will force me to either change the chart or throw my hands up and say "they frakked up".

I played on Officer on Galactica in season 4, and was able to put together the following rank charts:

Rank-Officers.jpg

Rank-NCO.jpg

based on seeing the actual boxes the props used to keep the pins in...some of which I got pictures of:

16.jpg

17.jpg

17a.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

26.jpg

25.jpg

And a picture I took of the Lt. Colonel rank pin on someone's collar. A Warrant Officer would never have been in Duty Blues on the show, the Warrant Officers were only ever in the Tan BDU's.

27.jpg

Last edited:
I played on Officer on Galactica in season 4, and was able to put together the following rank charts:

26.jpg

25.jpg

Oh man... seeing those boxes of pins, it's like being a kid in a candy store. Awesome. I really hope I can grab a few more on ebay before the auctions end.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back