New MR Enterprise problem over time (Dome blotching)

CessnaDriver

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
WTF do you think is causing this?????

It's like oil got inside the dome. It doesn't seem to be on the outside frosted area.

Something squirt out of the gear box?

How the **** am I supposed to clear that up?

IMG_4163-1.jpg

Mine has been doing that same thing almost since I got it. Most of mine is on the bottom of the nacelle and you can't see it when it's running. Really sucks though. A little more quality control would have been nice. It took me a couple to get one with grid lines I could live with but I won't get started on that!

Will

Mine has been doing that same thing almost since I got it. Most of mine is on the bottom of the nacelle and you can't see it when it's running. Really sucks though. A little more quality control would have been nice. It took me a couple to get one with grid lines I could live with but I won't get started on that!

Will

Yeah, same here, cannot see it when running.

I am guessing it is lubricant from the gearbox somehow getting out.

Man,

Polarlights, just hurry up and make the damn 1/350th kit already!!!!!

I want to build my own badly and avoid all this lame ass stuff.

Cessna don't feel too bad, on mine it's about half of the dome that has lost its "frosting". It looks pretty ridiculous. :thumbsdown

Is this something you could remove with a paint prep cleaner/degreaser? Not sure if the frosting is painted or sandblasted on.

Is this something you could remove with a paint prep cleaner/degreaser? Not sure if the frosting is painted or sandblasted on.

I think if I could get the dome off, I could probably clean it out.

I am pretty sure it is on the inside.

Will it evaporate over time perhaps?

I doubt it.

It just has to be oil from the gearbox leeching out or something.

I mean this dome was fine all this time until just now.

Last edited:
Just checked mine. Yup, similar thing. Not too noticable from the side, but very obvious from the top.

Just goes to show you that, in my opinion, they should never have made this with lights. Yes, I know, a lot of people have hard-ons for their studio-scale models to have them, but as seen with the Enterprise and the Falcon, there's just too many problems with them. Additionally, the Enterprise looks pretty lame without the lights on, as the domes are just clear frosted when displayed without power on, and it throws the look off. Man, I would have been so happy with just a static model, and it would have been a lot cheaper, too.

Ok, sorry for the rant.

I think if I could get the dome off, I could probably clean it out.

I am pretty sure it is on the inside.

Will it evaporate over time perhaps?

I doubt it.

It just has to be oil from the gearbox leeching out or something.

I mean this dome was fine all this time until just now.

I don't have an Enterprise to look at, but how is the dome attached? Thought I saw a thread where a fellow RPF'er took his nacelle apart. Might be worth doing a search for.

Couldnt the nacelles be removed, cleaned of grease, and replaced?
Not sure what a fiasco that may be, but if its possible, and you can get it out, could be worth flushing out the gearbox with a bearing flush, TBH, im pretty sure a mech like that wouldnt need that crazy amount of grease inside.

lee

I don't have an Enterprise to look at, but how is the dome attached? Thought I saw a thread where a fellow RPF'er took his nacelle apart. Might be worth doing a search for.

Yeah, a little drilling was involved if I recall.
Not sure I am at the point it bothers me that much yet though.

I remember he actually had to cut off the nacelles . . . . I DON'T want to cut them off! Here is a photo of the front of the nacelle without the dome:

nacelle_lit_up.jpg

Will

Yeah, you can see the clear plastic on the inside of the ring. I hope this crap doesn't happen to mine. If it does I am leaving it.

Count in another one. Mine has the same issue.
I don't think MR will do anything about this.

I will ever buy another one of these replicas again.
As long as they are made in China. It's not worth the price tag.

It's not very comforting to know that a company won't stand behind a product that has obvious cronic design flaws. I'm thinking the Grids, noise, engines freezing up, oil in the dome not to mention the problem with the headlights on the Falcon. These things are NOT cheap and MR should stand behind them and fix these design deficiencies. That's the way to build loyal customers, not to basically give us the finger. I know, blah, blah blah, it's all been said before but it's still the truth.

Will

It's not very comforting to know that a company won't stand behind a product that has obvious cronic design flaws. I'm thinking the Grids, noise, engines freezing up, oil in the dome not to mention the problem with the headlights on the Falcon. These things are NOT cheap and MR should stand behind them and fix these design deficiencies. That's the way to build loyal customers, not to basically give us the finger. I know, blah, blah blah, it's all been said before but it's still the truth.

Will

No competition is part of the problem.
Only girl in town.

Lack of kits in the same scale is a major problem too.

I just pray to the Trek gods that that polar lights 1/350th TOS E does indeed get produced, and it is all but certain that after market lighting kits will follow.

It clearly looks like evaporation of the lubricant for the mechanical parts or release residue left inside of the model that is causing the film that you guys are seeing on the clear dome, not really a quality control issue, more like the choice of chemical they used or climate you are in :-( :confused:confused

The contractor sure screwed up.
scaled.php

It's another bad mark for MR. (The Curse of the E is still lurking out there.)
Mine was #24, what numbers do you guys(with this problem) have?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back