New MR Enterprise problem over time (Dome blotching)

Mine is the same with the blotching on the port nacelle. The Starboard Bussard also seems to spin slower than the other, though that could just be due to not having been run for a while. Mine is LE 703.

One wonders if there will ever be another company that would dare to wrestle with the STAR TREK licensing issues in order to try another authentic TOS model of the MR caliber. Not likely in our lifetime i would guess.
Licensing isn't the issue. It's money, and could a company get a decent return on such a product. The market for these products is very very very small. Which means there are not a lot of paying customers for this stuff.

We were joking it's the curse of the Enterprise. This wasn't the first time a product like that was offered. I know of several failed garage kit attempts at a 350 E. Then there was the Unobtanium E.
Hopefully PL will put out their 350 kit, but that is still up in the air(last I heard). Which I think they will make money on(since a lot of us are going to buy more than one).

Licensing isn't the issue. It's money, and could a company get a decent return on such a product. The market for these products is very very very small. Which means there are not a lot of paying customers for this stuff.

We were joking it's the curse of the Enterprise. This wasn't the first time a product like that was offered. I know of several failed garage kit attempts at a 350 E. Then there was the Unobtanium E.
Hopefully PL will put out their 350 kit, but that is still up in the air(last I heard). Which I think they will make money on(since a lot of us are going to buy more than one).

But didn't MR sell out on these, and fairly quickly? Granted many were returned... but still.

But didn't MR sell out on these, and fairly quickly? Granted many were returned... but still.
Yes and no, MR wasn't in the business to make products, but to sell products. They were like Nike(they don't make shoes, just sell them). They initiate the creation of products, import the product, and get the product to the customer. Now the customers are both wholesale and retail(They offer product to the general public and stores who sell to the public).

Now here is where you can look like your selling out a product more quickly. MR want's to sell out it's inventory as quickly as possible, one way to accomplish this to sell as many units as possible to their wholesale customers. To facilitate that, you offer wholesale customers a lower price if they buy a higher quantity. Which is normal practice for most products.

That is if the wholesale customer is interested in the product. In the case of the Enterprise that is a guaranteed seller. But they can only sell so many, because not that many people want one or could afford one. So the production run is limited, at a number where MR thinks it can make a profit.

Here is where things can get a little screwy, a friend of mine used to own a retail store that sold collectibles. He did carry MR's products(including the E) but couldn't compete with some of the retail stores selling online. The online sellers(selling on E-bay) were selling units lower that his wholesale cost. Why? Because MR gave the online seller a better wholesale cost. And the online seller passed that savings on to the customer. Now this does move product, but it put my friend in a bind, because he couldn't get a good return on his money.

Mine is the same with the blotching on the port nacelle. The Starboard Bussard also seems to spin slower than the other, though that could just be due to not having been run for a while. Mine is LE 703.

Doesn't it seem that Factory Entertainment ought to carry some responsibility for this product since they bought MR?

Last edited:
Darn it! I checked mine again after this thread resurfaced and it has the blotching, LE #300. It really isn't that noticeable but I wonder what if will mean long term.

Darn it! I checked mine again after this thread resurfaced and it has the blotching, LE #300. It really isn't that noticeable but I wonder what if will mean long term.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who does NOT have blotching on at least one nacelle dome.... :unsure

I wonder if there is anyone out there who does NOT have blotching on at least one nacelle dome.... :unsure

My left nacelle dome-blotching has really gotten worse over the past year or so. It now looks like my E is winking: one nacelle is frosted-white and the other is almost entirely frost-free dark and "oily." :confused

My left nacelle dome-blotching has really gotten worse over the past year or so. It now looks like my E is winking: one nacelle is frosted-white and the other is almost entirely frost-free dark and "oily." :confused

I'm still too chicken to cut it open.

Maybe introducing more oil to both such that they appear the same, then extra frosting the outside.

Last edited:
My blotching is on the rarely filmed side so I'm just not looking at it from that angle!!

I won't be cutting mine open unless someday it quits working.

Cutting is what we do here... just cut it already! :) I mean, the point of displaying replicas is for the sheer magnificence of it all. Flaws should be fixed... :)

C'mon, anyone in here can do a better job of putting that darn thing together as compared to a mass production crew in China... or wherever it's made. CUT IT OPEN! :)

C'mon, anyone in here can do a better job of putting that darn thing together as compared to a mass production crew in China... or wherever it's made. CUT IT OPEN! :)

Well, let's be honest, the China crew did extremely well--at least on most models--or they wouldn't fetch such a high premium of $2k-$3k these days. With all its flaws it's still the definitive 1/350 TOS Ent to date. And look ma, no decals!

Last edited:
Well, let's be honest, the China crew did extremely well--at least on most models--or they wouldn't fetch such a high premium of $2k-$3k these days. With all its flaws it's still the definitive 1/350 TOS Ent to date. And look ma, no decals!

Actually, on mine they used a decal in one spot (and not put on exactly straight) as they must have not gotten the marking printed fully.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back