Rorschach: The Definitive Thread

This is a total shot in the dark, but I figure any bit of info could potentially be helpful!

It's not identical, but the construction of Ror's trenchcoat reminds me very much of a Korean War-era trenchcoat I used to have. Here's a picture of a coat of the same make and model, so to speak:
odover5.jpg

It's got lapels and collar that extend pretty far out, the little bands around the wrists, larger buttons on the front than on the epaulettes and cuffs, the belt with parallel-line stitching all the way down it, slash pockets on the outside, and a relatively short length - maybe not 3/4, but not as long as your traditional trenchcoat.

...If anything, it would probably be a good starting block for somebody creating a pattern from scratch, considering trenchcoat patterns for men are hard to come by.

Like the title say's. It's the Penman Rorschach hat. This first one is made of pure rabbit felt. I can make it either in pure beaver or pure rabbit. I'm using the same felt and ribbon as the film hat. Sorry but you have to look at my mug under the hat.

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

Do you have any larger pics? The front looks a bit tall, but that may just be me.

Having an alternative to Texas Hatters is great and I'm always happy to see some follow-through on here. :D

I havent got any news whatsoever from Texas Hatters after i gave my measurements:unsure hoped everything would be fine
Anyone who ordered from them got any news?

Last edited:
Nice hat Oak. Looks as if the brim can be even smaller though judging by that last large closeup of Rorshach.

Nice hats on your site as well.

Heres what I got back from RorschachMask.com:

"Hayes,

Offering masks with blotchier-looking inkblots is a very interesting
idea. I'm sure our customers would enjoy having the freedom to choose
whether they want their mask to have a blotchy (movie style) inkblot
or a clean (comic style) inkblot. We will definitely take this
suggestion into consideration.

Regarding the inkblot image you linked to (I sent them an image of the "popular" movie pattern), that was actually one of
the top five or six inkblot patterns we considered offering on our
site. It didn't make it into our final four, but perhaps that inkblot
will one day appear on our site if we ever should decide to offer more
than four masks.

Thanks again for contacting RorschachMask.com!"

I think if enough people e-mail them asking for blotchy style masks they would add them to their inventory. So get e-mailing :)

I wanted to start with the brim a little wider than smaller. I can't put on but I can always trim down. I think with this prototype I'm going to leave it until someone can clearly say what the specs are.

Question , Do you think the crown height from the top of the ribbon to the top of the hat is more, less or the same as the ribbon? On the movie hat not mine?

I agree the ribbon width is a bit too tall, thus making the overall height of the crown is a bit too tall. But regardless your hat looks great, with a minor tweek to the height it would look perfect.

Thats not what I was asking. I was asking on the movie hat not mine. I'm asking if the crown height from the top of the ribbon to the top of the hat is the same, less or more than the ribbon height.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back