Rorschach: The Definitive Thread

Big update to the OP! A great collection of screen-used costume pics popped up on flickr and provided fantastic reference for Rorschach's boots and suit material. Check out the OP for the skinny on that stuff...

Every little bit helps, and we're a lot further now than when the thread was started. In just three and a half days we've seen progress, I think we'll have this costume filed under "Complete" before the disc even comes out. If the flick was actually made during the '80s (as originally intended) we'd probably still be trying to finish this thing!

Great job, everyone, your efforts are much appreciated. :D

Just googling around
Snyder also wanted to have shades of gray in his blots rather than the stark, hard-edged black spots found in the graphic novel. Getting the right look and saturation was a long process of experimentation with different types of fabric and ink. DesJardin and costume designer Michael Wilkinson finally settled on a stretchy, four-way latex material, which—in addition to having the fibrous look Snyder wanted—helped create Rorschach's smooth eggshell silhouette. They printed the blots on the material using a special process developed specifically for the latex.
some of the interview from here http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4307536.html

Also theres several video interviews with michael wilkinson the costume designer
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/dor/objects/34260/watchmen/videos/watchmen_journal2_051308.html
http://www.michaelwilkinsondesign.com/Watchmen.html
http://www.vimeo.com/3260774
It loads very slow on my computer,also my english is waaaaaaaayy beneath normal:lol
Maybe someone can review these videos?

As far as your theory about the production team dying found fabric for the suit...

When I was making my Joker costume last year, I got a color combo very similar to your reference picture by taking chocolate-brown wool pants with tan pinstripes and dying the whole mess purple.

Might be worth a try!

Here, the first several pictures in my photobucket album might give you an idea. I tried photographing them in different lighting, but it never quite captured the color. Gray-brown-purple, depending.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/MrPaco2/Joker/

Last edited:
And a big fat, rudely self important "NOPE" right back at you (even though we're both partially right)

Although both the Bogart and the Stingy brim fedora are very similar hats, there are subtle differences. A true stingy brim will have a brim about as narrow as the Rorshach hat (usually in the 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" range). However, in most cases, it will have a distinct center crease as opposed to that of the teardrop shape and high front crown of our favorite heroic nutjob. The Bogart and Sinatra fedoras are also fairly close in style. Typically by the raised area in the teardrop.

So the hat does have elements from both styles, but it more or less a Bogart with a "stingy" brim. So a lower cost alternative would be to purchase a pecan colored Bogart and trim back the brim and add the correct color trim.

The rorschach hat has a porkpie crease not a center dent or a c-crown.

The rorschach hat has a porkpie crease not a center dent or a c-crown.

I think we're going to need a good clear shot of this to have any concrete proof, but I stick with my previous statement. I'm looking at an old black bogart that I own and the teardrop recess on top dips in and then rounds back up again toward the rear. That's what I'm seeing when I look at the hat. A pork pie has a recessed ring around the inner edge of the top of the crown. Not what I'm seeing in any of the production stills.

Does anyone have a shot of the top of the hat? That would solve this once and for all. This seems to be a point of contention.

I think that there are elements of all of these hats IN the rorshach. The overall shape is fedora though. These pictures illustrate the difference between a porkpie and the two styles of fedora that were mentioned. I think to adamantly state that the Rorshach is porkpie is a bit ignorant for a milliner.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here. Just trying to assist the furthering of knowledge in this research for those that can't afford the texashatters piece, and would like to find cheaper alternatives. I still think the best way is to get a Bogart and trim the brim.

Porkpie:
ch07.jpg

Bogart Fedora:
151625.jpg

Stingy Brim:
dobbsrocky2-300.jpg

Last edited:
I think for the color for the fabrics depends on where the suit seen. Can be 2 types we could divide
1. As seen for production
2. As seen on-screen :)

No cure for this one :p

I understand that. I said this hat was a porkpie bash with a front crease. Thats how one would go about achieving this look.

Up.....any news on anything?!?!? I knew the guy on you tube who made the mask with the heat sensitive paint would disappear. I've messaged him many times with no response. Annoying as hell when someone takes a good idea like that and keeps it all a secret. I have many good ideas on how to get 3 or 4 patterns on one mask with that paint but all I need is the damn paint!!

Up.....any news on anything?!?!? I knew the guy on you tube who made the mask with the heat sensitive paint would disappear. I've messaged him many times with no response. Annoying as hell when someone takes a good idea like that and keeps it all a secret. I have many good ideas on how to get 3 or 4 patterns on one mask with that paint but all I need is the damn paint!!

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/eclipse/eclipse_prodinfo.htm

I continue my quest to find the damn shoes, but I've come up with nothing. Since the movie's come out the info well has all but dried up... I know we can do this with the available reference, but we need a major discovery to kick people back into gear!

FOR THE HEAT SENSITIVE INK!!
go to ebay and look for the seller "consiliumdesigns" then search their items for "Smart ink". It is a pigment that is safe and it is pretty cheap About $4 for 5ml . They sell out of black VERY fast. Just paint one design on ni black fabric paint and the second with the black thermo pigment. Pretty simple, will likely cost under $20 with fabric and shipping totals.

FOR THE HEAT SENSITIVE INK!!
go to ebay and look for the seller "consiliumdesigns" then search their items for "Smart ink". It is a pigment that is safe and it is pretty cheap About $4 for 5ml . They sell out of black VERY fast. Just paint one design on ni black fabric paint and the second with the black thermo pigment. Pretty simple, will likely cost under $20 with fabric and shipping totals.

THANKS BRO!!!! I'll check it out!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back