Rorschach: The Definitive Thread

I ordered the hat from that company couple days ago(thanks CTF!:))
Said that the production crew only change the ribbon for the shoot-thats all i know sadly.
Only been looking on several sample for the coat

Last edited:
Just a quick thought: in the tiny screencap of Haley wearing the purple suit, is it possible that he's wearing a three-piece, with the jacket open and the vest giving us a false neckline?

I had a thought while looking at the tiny pic. Rorshach's suit (at least in the movie version) looks very 1970s. From the line, to the cravat. I think that's something to go on in the way of cut. Think Austin Powers. That's what that little thumbnail looks like.

I'm still inclined to think its a single breasted. Like I said. Double breasts tend to have a higher neckline, not a lower one. Compare the two pics in the same thumbnail. See how much higher the neckline on the double breasted trenchcoat is? That's a pretty major frame of reference right there.

His hat is a Bogart style fedora. This may help in the search for a cheaper alternative than the existing source.

Dont know if this helps or not, but it shows some detailing / texture on the coat

1-2.jpg

I don't know if this helps but I'm working on both a rabbit and a beaver version made using the same felt and ribbon. I hope to have the price come in under.

I had a thought while looking at the tiny pic. Rorshach's suit (at least in the movie version) looks very 1970s.

It was during the '70s when Rorschach snapped and stopped taking care of himself, so that's a great point. And double breasted does indeed sit a lot higher.

I'll edit the OP to point out those details while we wait it out for concrete info.

I ordered the hat from that company couple days ago(thanks CTF!:))
Said that the production crew only change the ribbon for the shoot-thats all i know sadly.

Congrats, can't wait to see pics! And if that's true about the ribbon then I think we'll have a much easier time making it accurate. I've been looking all over for the right color, and I've been eyeing "redwood" as a potential, but unless someone else jumps in with better info it's going to be hard to nail.

I don't like the idea of the dart under the chin because it is very visible when not "on camera". The mask will obviously have the seams running up the sides, but I might be able to get away without the two seams running to the forehead line. Those wont matter as much seeing as they are covered by the fedora.

The hat will definitely cover the forehead darts, but a face shell making the chin more pronounced may likely disguise the chin darts as well.

And Rock Bottom, another fantastic pic! I thought I had all of the released promotional images (aside from the Art Of book) when I started this thread, it's encouraging (and somewhat disconcerting for my detective skills) to see this is not the case. :)

EDIT: Added some info to the OP; it looks like the blotted and blot-less masks had different chin darts and the pics have been updated accordingly. Added some suit ponderings and updated the hat info along with some miscellaneous trench coat info and scarf possibilities.

I'll start cataloging the posters who contributed info and thank them accordingly in the OP, but that'll wait a bit as this stuff is all over the forum.

Last edited:
Right I'm pretty much convinced that the scarf is a hemp french terry knit. I have some on the way and will get picks up some time next week hopefully.

Looking forward to seeing bendingoak's hat.

This is the hat I have at the moment I think the ribbon is spot on. It's a Stetson Medalist and may be able to be found quite cheaply . It's definetly not as accurate as the Texas Hatters.

007.jpg

0052.jpg

Believe it or not but the ribbon is brown it's just that it has a shine to it and shows up looking lighter.

Here's a shot of a hat I made for someone using the same felt and ribbon.

IMG_0545.jpg

Remember I'm just showing this for ribbon color.

The color is showing up much lighter than what it is because of the shine. The rorschach hat is a pecan color with a brown hat ribbon that has shine to it making it look lighter in some light.

Last edited:
That hat looks pretty damn good, NoTsOsErIoUs. Can't find any online sellers, though, my Google-fu is weak at the moment. And update us when you get the cloth, settling that will be nice and allow us to focus on the rest of the outfit.

Hm, never would have guessed brown for the ribbon, I was totally thinking redwood.

Face shells seem to be the rule rather than the exception when it comes to cloth masks in film. Do have a link to the vid? I can't seem to access all of them from my comp.

I thought it was the video diaries on the Watchmen blog but I was wrong. Now I can't remember where I saw it. I think I might have read it rather than seen it.

I thought it was the video diaries on the Watchmen blog but I was wrong. Now I can't remember where I saw it. I think I might have read it rather than seen it.

I'm going to pick up the latest issue of Cinefex tomorrow, hopefully it'll make more than a passing mention about the non-CGI portions of Rorschach's mask.

Regardless of whether Haley wore a shell or not, I'm going to have one. Having confidence in the profile of my face while also not having my nose smashed up against the mask? Why go without?

Nope.

It's a stingy brim fedora.

And a big fat, rudely self important "NOPE" right back at you (even though we're both partially right)

Although both the Bogart and the Stingy brim fedora are very similar hats, there are subtle differences. A true stingy brim will have a brim about as narrow as the Rorshach hat (usually in the 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" range). However, in most cases, it will have a distinct center crease as opposed to that of the teardrop shape and high front crown of our favorite heroic nutjob. The Bogart and Sinatra fedoras are also fairly close in style. Typically by the raised area in the teardrop.

So the hat does have elements from both styles, but it more or less a Bogart with a "stingy" brim. So a lower cost alternative would be to purchase a pecan colored Bogart and trim back the brim and add the correct color trim.

Last edited:
the cloth??? I have everything in hand just need a little free time from making customers hats to make the prototype. I will keep everyone one posted.

Keep me posted about the mask. I'm very interested.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back