Outer Limits - Don't Open Till Doomsday

DrMcoy

Sr Member
Always was spooked by this creature as a kid -- never saw a garage kit of this one, so i finally broke down and made one myself. It's not 100% but pretty close.

1490140.jpeg

Made out of sculpey and one of those novelty floating eyeballs.

Thanks for kind remarks -- it truly is a goofy creature, but this show was one of my favorites growing up. While this particular episode is NOT one of my favorites, the creature certainly is. I was also into the ECK energy creature and most every other odd "bear" created for the series. It still holds up today, despite the advances in special effects, I still often prefer the simplicity of the original series -- and being in black and white lends it a certain level of creepiness that's sometimes difficult to define.

Anyways, thought a few people here would get a kick out of it -- would love to hear anyone else's memories of the show.

...and don't forget, when you are in the box with it, it's as big as you. :eek

4660-dotd1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for crisp screen cap -- the head on mine is too large and eye too big -- as I said in first post, my little sculpture is close, but not dead on. I may go back and redo head some day....once I finish about 200 other projects sitting on my basement shelves begging to be built.

I originally was going to make him about 4 or 5 inches tall and put him in a box with a little round viewport, so you had to look in box to see him -- but that would involve rigging box with a light -- would be cool if it was a black light inside and he was painted with flourescent paints.

And yeah, he was 6 or 7 feet tall once you got into the box with him.

Maybe I'll do ECK next -- just cut him out of sheet plastic!

Zanti misfits have been done by Sideshow and garage kits.

I'd be curious to hear other people's favorite creatures.

I'd be curious to hear other people's favorite creatures.

There was that parasite creature that you never saw well from the two part episode THE INVISIBLES...that was pretty scary.

The growling was a big part of the scary, as I remember.

Last edited:
I made a "Don't Open Till Doomsday" box with a "knock back" circuit. If you knock on the box, the box will knock back in the same pattern and speed. This will give the illusion that something is truly alive inside. I just got some Sculpey III to make the creature. Its the translucent stuff. If I make the creature hollow I should be able to light it up with leds. This will be my first experience with Sculpey III. Any tips anyone? Here is a link to photos of the project. More will be added. That lens is an old German 3 inch projector lens.
IMG_6404.JPG

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back