Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

For the guys that found the original mud flaps - how / where did you find them? I have a collection of eBay searches I check every day, and I just realized I've been watching my mud flap search for several years now with no luck (although I have sifted through ten million similar flaps in the process). I believe the actual name on the packaging is 'bicycle fender flaps', although I tried to make my search catch variations of that (bike vs bicycle, fender vs mud flaps, etc). Any tips other than waiting? Did anyone figure out the manufacturer?

I did buy a couple sets of replicas already. Just on the lookout for an original set in case they ever pop up.

I feel your frustration with trying to find these. I also have some replicas but wouldn't mind having an original set. One like in the movies sold on eBay back in December and a similar one sold a couple nights ago.

mud_flap2.jpg mud_flap3.jpg

Damn, I guess those $29.99 gray flaps went fast .. I never saw those come up. I did see the black ones the other night, but couldn't find a good reason to bid on those (since they're so different).

Interesting how the jeweled part apparently came in white, gold, and silver. And how gray isn't even listed as a color option. Oh well .. maybe I'll find some in the next couple years ..

I bought that flap, its a blue color and that from looking at the movie close up of the oil squirt scene this is the flap that was used. Does look grey in the right light.

I bought that flap, its a blue color and that from looking at the movie close up of the oil squirt scene this is the flap that was used. Does look grey in the right light.
Is this like that blue dress that looks gold (or is it the other way around)? Ha, my eyes only see gray no matter how I stare at it.

The jeweled part is silver in the movie though right? Looks that way from rewatching anyway. Good catch on the flaps, I hope to be so lucky one day.

I'm glad to hear that flap went to someone on the forum. My worst fear is some of the hard-to-find parts end up on a college kid's everyday bike to be crashed or stolen on a campus.

The jeweled part is silver in the movie though right? Looks that way from rewatching anyway.

I had always thought / assumed that the emblem on the mudflats was silver but I think in reality it was gold. It looks different on my two TV sets but the gold is the most noticeable in the scene after Pee-wee wrecks, recovers from his tumble and then peddles away. Also possible that there were variations used on different bikes using what parts they had on hand. -- BJ

I had always thought / assumed that the emblem on the mudflats was silver but I think in reality it was gold. It looks different on my two TV sets but the gold is the most noticeable in the scene after Pee-wee wrecks, recovers from his tumble and then peddles away. Also possible that there were variations used on different bikes using what parts they had on hand. -- BJ
Interesting! I popped in my Blu-ray today and sure enough in that scene they are very clearly the gold color as above. They might also be in the clown hospital nightmare scene - there are a few good closeups, although the lighting makes it hard to tell for sure.

Unless I'm hallucinating, the Warner Bros backlot chase shows very clearly a silver color instead (best seen when he first gets on, and later for the oil slick). I guess they figured nobody would be crazy enough to freeze-frame the shots 30 years later and compare all the mud flap colors - boy were they wrong! :lol

I have a parts package available if anyone is interested, PM me for more info.

UPDATE: parts package has been SOLD, I Thank everyone who contacted me for their interest, I plan on doing another run of parts in the not so distant future, if all goes well.

Last edited:
I guess they figured nobody would be crazy enough to freeze-frame the shots 30 years later and compare all the mud flap colors - boy were they wrong! :lol

Once you start really scrutinizing the bikes in the movie, you start noticing what a hodgepodge of parts they used to achieve the effect. Makes it all the more interesting to me.

I still prefer silver emblems on the mud flaps. Silver goes better with all the chrome on the bike than gold. -- BJ

Now that I'm nearing completion of the bike, I have been giving the costume more thought. I believe the shoes were Footjoy golf shoes. I found a 1970 catalog page with the shoes that looks just like Pee-wee's with the thick black sole. I'm guessing they made these shoes for several years. They do show up on eBay on occasion, but it is an item that is of course size specific. Usually only the smaller sizes exist. Anyone have any ideas to shoes that are close?

footjoy70_s-19_reduced.jpg

Looks like you hit the nail on the head PWF!

kudos on your unrivaled research/ investigative skills!,

I would've just looked for vintage Italian dress loafers, I would've never even guessed golf shoes?!

I've seen a lot of shoes that are close, but as you said, the dilemma is finding them in your size, and most I've seen can get a little pricey.

So now you have to add some almost 50 year old golf shoes in your size to the quest.

Building The bikes is more than enough fun for me, happy hunting.

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas to shoes that are close?[/QUOTE said:
PWF: Mine are Footjoys as well. I think later in his career his were actually expensive Italian leather loafers but the Footjoys appear to be spot on in appearance. If you keep searching for mens white tassle loafers, you'll eventually find the right look in your size. But larger sizes do seem to be harder to find ... and I wear a 13. -- BJ

always exciting to see vintage Schwinns pop up, I know pickins are getting slim, but, $700 seems a little salty for whats there, especially since someone donated it, I realize most of those places are not for profit, but I wonder how much of that money actually makes it to the intended charity?, definitely has potential though.

What is that lying on the floor behind it?, Higgins or hawthorne mens tank bike?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back