Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

Welp, after searching for a while on Craigslist I found my bike. I had found a guy with a house literally full of bikes, to the point where it was difficult to navigate around. He even had some original prewar bikes, and I never realized how heavy those actually are.
4978_jpg.jpg
This is the bike I bought, a Murray Jet Fire. This isn't the actual bike however, as the guy was originally gonna restore the bike and he just had the sanded frame and the rest of the parts sitting in a box in his bike-filled basement. I don't think I'll actually start painting and assembly until I pick up a springer fork, however.
Thinking about my budget currently and the bike in the long run, I think I'll be going for making a more "inspired by" bike than accurate replica. Or maybe a replica of the Scream Awards bike. Who knows.
The point is, I'm absolutely ecstatic that I'm about to have the best bike in the whole world, and then make it my own.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone made either the 3-speed or the brake lever functional?
And has anyone wired the project box buttons to do something other than light up when pressed? I'm gonna see if I can wire the tail lights to the buttons.

Ha, what a weird thing to poll. I can't imagine it's very accurate, you'd need a pretty large sample group.

I tend to agree. I wonder if they actually gathered the data from original movie sales and old Nielsen ratings for the Playhouse. Maybe it's just sales data for gray suits and red bowties...

I plan to eventually wire the tail lights to the buttons, but that's a ways down the road. The 3 speed wouldnt be hard to do, but you have to run a cable to the rear hub. I wanted to run a bendix 2 speed kickback, but I couldnt drill out the spoke holes to fit the HD spokes. That sucker is made from some strong stuff.

I plan to eventually wire the tail lights to the buttons, but that's a ways down the road.

I have plans to do that as well. I'd like to wire them as blinking lights to make it more practical too. Also, out of pure curiosity, is there someway to reproduce the delta rocket ray possibly with plastic vacuum forming?

I have plans to do that as well. I'd like to wire them as blinking lights to make it more practical too. Also, out of pure curiosity, is there someway to reproduce the delta rocket ray possibly with plastic vacuum forming?
I was wondering that as well. I was also wondering if people on this thread could make the plastic copies and sell them for less than the real ones.

I could do that with silicon molds and resin, but the cost needed in supplies would be high, especially if you want it done right. It wouldnt be a savings over buying a real one on eBay, with the limited market here. Someone might be able to do it cheaper, cut some corners, do it a little more sloppily. Not something I'm interested in though.

Yeah, they were selling two, the first one went for $107, I guess it's would be worth it to get a mold off it, because I think the original ones are rigid?, maybe that's why the corners were cut off of the screen used flaps, the package says it's made of high impact plastic, and the picture shows it bolted flat to the outside of the fender, I don't know for sure, never had a real one.

Last edited:
What is the most commonly used off the shelf spray paint color?

Both Rustoleum Sunset Red and Apple Red can get you good results. If you want to spend a little more, get Rustoleum Automotive Cherry Red which is what Rudd uses and it looks awesome. Buy an automotive primer & clearcoat like Duplicolor to finish it off. Rustoleum's clear runs badly and it almost ruined my tiger siren. Just a bit of an idea of what you should use to spray the bike.

Words of wisdom from Dalek. Rustoleum clear coat is complete garbage. I do use the rustoleum filler primer and automotive cherry red, but lately no places stock the automotive rustoleum in anything but black and white. I've checked several cities. Maybe it's another california emissions thing, I dunno.

Yeah plenty of people have! The Super Rocket Ray which is what is on the original has a reflector in the center which was drilled into and a simple yellow plastic propellor was installed:
DeltaSuperRocketRay6_zps421545ef.jpg
kgrhqeokj8e13rvcjddbnun.jpg

Here's a test video of xtrmn8r16's:
The only real challenge with the rocket ray will be drilling out the holes for the acrylic fins. More work is needed for a standard delta ray, but results can looks really close.

Also Rudd, you're not alone on that rustoleum cherry red. Been to tons of autoshops in recent months and there basically no rustoleum colors where I live.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back