MR Cancels Ghostbusters Props

Kylash

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Master Replicas has officially posted on their forum that the Ghostbusters lineup has been cancelled. It is unclear as to why the company has dropped the Proton Pack and Ghost Trap replicas, but it is most likely due to licensing issues with Sony and other high costs that may not be feasible in today's market.

"As a fan, I wish I could reassure everyone that GB is still on for MR. Unfortunately, it is with deep regret that MR has decided to cancel the plans we had with Sony for Ghostbusters. While I cannot get into specifics, I can tell you on a personal level that we cannot afford to give Ghostbusters prop replicas the justice and treatment they deserve and I apologize for any frustration or disappointment this will cause any fans. Rather than hold on to the license and wait for what seemed inevitable, we've decided to make the announcement today. Thank you for your understanding."

and a followup:

I apologize, but honestly I made this post right after a meeting regarding the move. Here's a play by play:

Wednesday - Thursday 02/11 - 02/12: Received incredible prototype of Ghost Trap, took photos and prepped for posting images on Friday. GB still on, seemed to be moving forward.

Friday 02/13: Received e-mail to remove all GB related content with further explanation 02/17.

Today: Found out we're not doing GB anymore. Received approval to notify community.

Sometimes, especially in these times, decisions are unfortunately made very quickly without much of an explanation. If I could have made an announcement sooner, I would have. Up until last Friday, GB was still green lit and excitement and expectations were high. I know it's disappointing, this is not the direction any of us wanted to go in, but it was/is vital. >>>>

Last edited:
Well this sucks.. I was looking forward to seeing what they had to offer.. MR is definetely going down hill fast... Maybe EFX will pick it up somehow

That's bad news, I was looking forward to seeing what they came out with.

It's still unclear why it didn't work out..?

Eh, I've never been a fan of MR's product. There are some fantastic fan made GB prop replicas available, so I really don't see this as much of loss.

Let's not forget the Tricorders that may never happen.
Yeah, I'm still pissed about the Muppet line ending. At this point maybe it's just time to pack it in.

Ugh..... Man this wasn't the greatest news. Understandable though considering how many parts are involved with a Proton Pack. Hopefully this company will come up with something quick to get back to their roots.

It seems like all they sell now are tiny statuettes and trinkets...what happened to the 1:1 Replicas they were known for?

With the current economic state, it is unlikely that there are many people (except us) who are looking to purchase high-end toys.

I am pretty sure they already hit the wall. The only thing we don't know, is how badly they crashed.

Yeah, in a way they are worse than Icons. They produce nothing marketable, yet remain in business. Corgi was a very very bad move.

Dave

Great post over there at GB fans, please take a look at it, I am actually pretty impressed by the whole situation.

Great post over there at GB fans, please take a look at it, I am actually pretty impressed by the whole situation.

After reading it, I admire what they've tried to do by giving up the license. However, what are the odds of someone else picking it up and producing items in the "anniversary year"?

There are three real problems with Prop Replicas as a viable business.

1. The studios (generally) ask for too much up front.

2. The market is limited.

3. Nearly every company has to go to China for production. Making for LONG lead times and frequently lesser quality products (compared to most around here).

Until these are addressed. Company after company will come and go. It's a 3-5 year cycle that has been going on since Icons, with little success.

In today's economy if the studios want any return for high quality Prop replicas they will need to loosen up on the $$$ requirements to participate, which seems very unlikely.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back