Watchmen props

I heard that they might be making more of the props on the show as collectibles. Once the movie comes out and it's all over the net. I guess then I'll be able to post the pics. I hope they use the piece I made. It was really hard to make and had tons of little parts that drove me crazy. Kind of looked liked that owl ship, lots of detail.

rick

Rick, not sure if youre aware, but theres a book out, I believe its the Art of Watchmen, or something similar, and theres a big 2 page spread in there of some of Niteowl's gadgets on a table and one is your openning blade disk with clear pieces where you can see all the gears inside, looks awesome!

Also some others you did are shown here:
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/021909-watchmen-movie-press-junket-photos.php

You are correct about the name of the book. i just bought it today. It not only has the pages you mentioned of Nite Owl's three bladed curved throwing knife but lots of great shots of props including a color proof of the Tales of the Black Freighter comic with a cover by Gibbons (signing as Feinberg) and a back cover ad of the Veidt Method.
It is $40 and I recommend it for prop fans and Watchmen fans.

The Wolf

I Bought a few books, one was called Watchmen portraits or something... not what I expected. It's basically about 40 or more pics of people who were in the movie, and not primarily the main actors, but other people who participated like stunt doubles, backround people and a few of the historic doubles (Mick Jagger looks pretty close)

Their amazing photos, but more or less pictures of people you don't know who may appear for a few seconds in the film, with a few shots of the main people thrown in.

Wow, there's a great pic of one of the belts I did:

355621962.jpg

I made the master patterns for both Nite Owl's and Silk Spectre's belts...

355621965.jpg

And then I did final assembly on all of Nite Owl's belts (I think we made 7 or 8 of them). I also did a little bit on Nite Owl's goggles - mainly cutting and grinding the lenses (again, I think we made about 6 pairs), doing the "irises" that fit behind the lenses, and doing the magnetic clasps in the back.

Anyway, I already got my souvenirs :D

355621959.jpg

355621961.jpg

355621964.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D48thRonin, thanks for sharing. Very cool to see behind the scenes raw shots of those things. Would you share any other info? Like, what material the majority of the Nite-Owl suit was made from?

Thanks again for sharing with us all

Tyler

D48thRonin, thanks for sharing. Very cool to see behind the scenes raw shots of those things. Would you share any other info? Like, what material the majority of the Nite-Owl suit was made from?

The Nite Owl costumes were cast in foam latex in 3 sections - cowl, upper torso, and "pants." I believe the gloves were off-the-shelf (no idea what brand) with the armor pieces added on. Same for the boots.

The belts were originally going to be electroplated resin, but early test results were disappointing (too shiny and toy-like), plus, a rigid belt just didn't fit the actor very well (and there would have been mobility problems). In the end, the belts were cast out of flexible urethane (rubber) and were painted.

Here's some of the displays at the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco that opened this weekend... Technically, photographs aren't allowed in the museum, so I had to sneak some... :cool

They have the finished version of the 3-bladed Owl weapon, and the Owl ship remote, both I believe built by Rick. The Owl remote looks like the one that the little screen pops out of, etc... Rick- did you make more than one of these, or is this the same prop that's been traveling around for displays?

Enjoy! There's more, like guns, a grappling hook weapon, bunch of magazines and newspapers as well as original art I believe from the graphic novel itself... If you are in the SF area, it's worth checking out ($6 to get in...)

Do you have any scan or pic of the action figures?:angel
I found this (prop action figures)
020209-artfilm02-big.jpg

From here:
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/watchmen-movie-photos.php
It looks a lot like the DCD figures are very similar to the figures here, with slightly different head sculpts (likely intentional, since the characters still have their secret identities in the movie). The DCD figures are even to scale.
Pretty good looking action figures for 1985! I hope the Ozy figure shows up on Veidt's desk, at least.

Also, does anyone know if Rorschach's journal was a found item or completely custom? I just re-read the book and I REALLY want one now.

Last edited:
Man, I absolutely love the Nite Owl costume. Hats off to you guys that worked on the suit and props. Great work. I want to make a Nite Owl suit so bad, but I wouldn't know where to even begin. Something to chip away at for the next couple of years I guess.

Actually it's not. It's a flat cardboard frame I found in the mail room at my office.

norm-49a01dacbdf35-Watchmen+%282009%29.jpeg

This is the one I'm looking for.

norm-49a56e72b25df-Watchmen+%282009%29.jpeg

Arrived today..my Rorschach mask and gun set from DC-direct..looks really good..:

The gun has a great paintjob and its really heavy..the mask is small and no stretch..so I cannot wear it.But with this original painting like the movieprop on the DC-mask I can build me a stretching Rorschachmask for a costume.:love

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back