City of Ember

starfighter66

After seeing this movie I could see several props I would just love to have. here are a couple I was able to get. I am also working on a replica of the escape key to go with the map.
COE-WantedPoster1.jpg

map1.jpg

MyReceivedFiles010.jpg

Yea, it left many things unanswered as to why the city was built, who the builders were, a little back history. But I think I will go out and buy the bookbut is was a good watch. It sometimes happens, good props in a so-so movie.
coe_photo2-72dpi-72dpi.jpg

Yea, it left many things unanswered as to why the city was built, who the builders were, a little back history. But I think I will go out and buy the bookbut is was a good watch. It sometimes happens, good props in a so-so movie.

Wasn't the back story explained in the beginning? When they showed the builders sealing up the box and explaining why they were doing it?

Something along the lines of we are destroying our planet (either by pollution or war), and we have a create a city underground to protect a group of people to guarantee the continuation of the human race. These people would not be given any information about the people that preceded them so they don't have to suffer the knowledge of what they lost, and could hopefully start new...

I kind of liked the movie myself, it was fun... Not sure Bill Murray was right for his part, but I still enjoyed it.

Rik

Wasn't the back story explained in the beginning? When they showed the builders sealing up the box and explaining why they were doing it?

I take it no-one has read the books?

In the first boo they don't know why they are there - they are just there. In fact not knowing why is actually the point.

You find out in the second book (Sparks) that there was a global plague. Bioweapons, or similar, but that there are still some survivors.

Interestingly - Tim Robbins character isn't in the novels at all, neither is the girls father. That whole subplot is invented for the film. Which is a shame, because I feel it make the plot a lot better.

and a great work too. His work is top notch, I plan to display the map framed and weathered with the keys. Here is the diagram for the City of ember key I am working for those who wish one too.

key1a.jpg

Last edited:
I watched this film last night and really enjoyed it. Simple, fun adventure movies like this are far and few in between. It also reminded me of the old-school Myst and Riven games, which I'm particularly fond of.

Neat props and production design, too!

and a great work too. His work is top notch, I plan to display the map framed and weathered with the keys. Here is the diagram for the City of ember key I am working for those who wish one too.

key1a.jpg

The two halves of the Ember Holo-key are actually different designs. When the images are flipped, rotated and combined (as they would be when you assemble the key), the should make the compete pattern shown in the 3rd image (sloppily Photoshopped together... :rolleyes )
Here's the box key, the mayor's key, and the combined image:

thanks for the info. this is what I came up with so far, I will need to adjust the image on the other key but they turned out pretty good for a first attempt

100_0681.jpg

Last edited:
Inspired by the excellent paper props available, I watched this movie on DVD for the first time yesterday and thought it was pretty cool (need to get the books now!). Remembering that I had a length of clear acrylic I whipped this up:

EmberKeyReplica1.jpg

EmberKeyReplica2.jpg
EmberKeyReplica3.jpg

Not as clean as starfighter66's laser cut key, but I'm pretty happy with it considering I did it by hand with a dremel and hobby knife. :)

Oh, and I've rounded the edges since these pictures were taken.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back