Full Size Speederbike

yt

Sr Member
This guy has done some amazing work. Really cool!

Here's my latest submission: a full size model of the STAR WARS Speeder Bike based on the AMT/Ertl 1/6th scale model. I took all the plastic parts and scanned them into my computer and then with a program called Apple Works scaled them up to full size. Apple Works allows you to print them as an adjoining patchwork of prints that I taped together to use as patterns. Most of the thin flat shapes were cut from MDF (medium density fiberboard), most of the tube shapes were made from PVC pipe, structural tubes were steel and the larger round shapes were sheet metal. The body and side pods were sculpted in urethane foam and coated in fiberglass resin. The seat is the only thing I had to have made by an outside source.
Once I had the parts scanned I built the model to use for reference - comparing it here to my progress last fall. I originally had planned to use an old child's bicycle with a lawnmower motor to power it, but for a number of reasons that became an impractical solution in trying to motorize it. Later, I adapted a 'power chair' for a tractor drive (not shown) and works very well, but its large bulk does detract from the aesthetics
I haven't totaled the hours, or the cost of material, but let's just say it's the most expensive model I've ever built.

http://www.starshipmodeler.info/gallery13/tc_012909_speederbike.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops that X-bus is some one else's work but I did finally get to see all this guys stuff. I just can't believe the detail in the dioramas really great stuff.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back