Warhammer bolter gun

skiffy

Sr Member
This was made very quickly for a friend who owns a games shop. He wanted a centre-piece from the Warhammer 40,000 gaming universe to display in his window and draw the crowds.

bolterfinal03.JPG

I knew it was needed fast and that accuracy and detail weren't as important as the immediate 'wow' factor. The build is actually quite rough and ready, and not as robust as it might be, but since it's only a display piece - that didn't really concern me.

Sketches were done to thrash out the form.

Sketch.jpg

Sketch1.jpg

So first off I snagged some foam-core board and a cheap airsoft SPAS shotgun, to give me a good chunky grip.

Bolter_0.jpg

..and the build progressed. I used as many bits from the shotgun as I could.

Bolter_1.jpg

Bolter_2.jpg

Bolter_5.jpg

Bolter_6.jpg

I found a skull from a lego-type toy package.

Bolter_9.jpg

On goes the paint.

Bolter_10.jpg

..and here are some pics of the final piece. A very fun and fast build.

bolterfinal01.JPG

bolterfinal02.JPG

bolterfinal03.JPG

bolterfinal04.JPG

bolterfinal05.JPG

It reminds me of those cardboard swords from 'History of the World-Part 1' when Mel Brooks goes to block the Roman soldiers bronze sword and it breaks in his card one in half.

Fantastic build.

Nice job! I like the WH40K bolters and it's on my to do list....eventually. I'm another one who appreciates build up photos. This might inspire me to get one done. Thanks for posting.

Malc.

Great paint job. That really looks like the ones in the paintings. Very nice work.
I need to put a paint job like that on one of mine. Look at how flat mine looks.
norm-47e2e203796ab-WarHammer+40%2C000+(VG).jpeg

I hope to give this another shot next year. How did you go about painting it ? Do you have any pictures of in between steps ?

Thanks for all the comments everyone. It was a fun build.

Great paint job. That really looks like the ones in the paintings. Very nice work.
I need to put a paint job like that on one of mine. Look at how flat mine looks.
norm-47e2e203796ab-WarHammer+40%2C000+(VG).jpeg

I hope to give this another shot next year. How did you go about painting it ? Do you have any pictures of in between steps ?

Sorry - I don't have any painting progress pics - it all went on pretty fast. I used a black base coat, then just brushed on the yellow stripes and 'wiped' on the silver weathering with cotton rag. That bolter of yours is definitely crying out for a little paint though eh?

what did you use to harden the faom-core board?

I used 5mm and 10mm foam-core board, often in a double thickness sandwich - so it was prety rigid. Where there were exposed edges, I painted them with 2 part epoxy to seal them.

The final prop is pretty solid - but it would dent if dropped from a decent height. As I said before - it's a display piece, not really meant to be handled that much.

That looks sweet! I've built props that were only meant to be looked at... you can get away with murder! It's when they are handled, and used, and thrown around that you have to worry about making them sturdy.

Beautiful job!

I also like looking at people's bolters. Although I don't much care for the blade. The skull is overdone, but this is the Warhammer world we are talking about.

I was just thinking as I looked at this. Everyone does bolters for those wussy Space Marines. It's be nice to see a Chaos bolter or some of the varients (like drum fed).

I used the black base coat the way you said and check out how she turned out.

5503454.jpeg

This is only the second item I've ever distressed and I'm very happy with it. I wouldn't even had tried it like this if I had not seen yours and gotten that advice from you. Thanks so much.

john.

Excellent job!! I especially like how you made the curved mag w/ the rounds showing! I'd been trying to do something like that, and it would give me fits! Thanks much!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back