Nostromo research

jtparker

I started to pour Nostromo parts today! the molds look great!
The Nostromo will be molded in Blue plastic, and the Detail great.

in this pic you can see the Forward section of the upper pod on top of the ship, this piece alone is over 4 inches long: so as you can tell, the ship will be rather large, well over 2 feet long! Here are a couple pics..they are slightly fuzzy because My digital camera batteries are almost dead :-(

pics of more parts coming tonight...

Last edited:
Re: Update! First Nostromo parts out of the Mold!

accidental resend here..sorry guys..just getting used to attaching pics for everyone to see

Last edited:

Here are the next parts I molded, a rear bulkhead, and the retro-thruster on the upper docking module...

This is a lot of work, but it is paying off...the rear bulkhead measures 8 1/8"

Looks great so far. How many pieces will make up the ship?

around 225 pieces !!!! Thank gosh some of the molds have about 30 pieces each or id' be screwed!

The ships hull will be one piece cast in 2 steps, with a void in the center to lighten it. As it is now, the parts are heavy not like store bought thin wall stuff,, and the landing struts horizontals are made from brass tubing inserts, this thing will be a BEAST!!!

Last edited:

And the kit price will be................?

well, ummmm assuming i make a kit, :lol that i dont know how i would price this, but its over twice the size of the Halcyon model and not crap vinyl all solid polyurethane! I will keep you updated, in a week i will know. Im trying not to get in trouble for trying to sell stuff here cos im new to this site, but people should see these historic molds and parts and we can go from there if ya catch my drift

I just got done watching this movie tonight! I realize that the original could never be recast small enough to ship to someones' house! This thing was the size of a house,just about! I would love to see it in a kit form anyway,even if it's not studio scale.

Yeah, I know, 50 posts first before you can sell. I'm sure you will have 50 by the time this is done. :lol Going to enjoy following this. :thumbsup What types of reference are you using?

I stumbled on original molds that are 20 years old, a real big mystery where they came from, but they are awesome. I bought them last week, and the urethane resin just arrived today, so Im already casting. I have beautiful boxes and packaging...uuummm if I decide to sell it :lol

there were actually 3 or 4 studio sizes with a tiny refinery in tow on one version....

Last edited:

Yeah, I know, 50 posts first before you can sell. I'm sure you will have 50 by the time this is done. :lol Going to enjoy following this. :thumbsup What types of reference are you using?

N00bs, this is misinformation. you must have 20 quality posts (no spaming) and 3 months here.

Awesome! One of my all time favorite ship designs. Big and bulky, but looks great from a forward shot. Ridley Scott did a great job filming it for the landing sequence. I have the Halcyon kit, which isn't bad for what it is, but I need to scratch build all the antennas for it :cry How are you going to tackle the antennas, or are they cast as well.

all completely cast antennas and such with Brass tubes for the landing gear uprights instead of plastic. This thing will be heavy and solid, over 200 parts. all Polyurethane. heres a blurry sample of the circular landing gear parts, the brass tubes go in holes here:

Now if someone from with a lot of contacts can tell me the origin of this 20 year old kit!
Im baffled!

Last edited:

all completely cast antennas and such with Brass tubes for the landing gear uprights instead of plastic. This thing will be heavy and solid, over 200 parts. all Polyurethane. heres a blurry sample of the circular landing gear parts, the brass tubes go in holes here:

Now if someone from with a lot of contacts can tell me the origin of this 20 year old kit!
Im baffled!

These look like Jupiter 3 landing pads.

Those are not really the landing pads, those are part of the landing claw struts, but about 3/4 the way up. The landing claws are actually feet that I have yet to pour yet

Last edited:

Cant wait to see more, I've been wanting to do something other than SW for a while now & this might just be it?

Looking great so far. Blurry pics, but I'm hopeful the detail is there! Thanks for such a cool project.

Clay

Very cool - but before the original molds deteriorate too badly - please make another set ;)

Jedi Dade

yes, that is the plan. That is what my first casting is for....fresh molds...:cool

Im doing more parts right now bTW....

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back