Studio Scale Slave I

That's new news I've heard. Where did he post that?Far as I remember, it was still a "go" as far as a kit is concerned,but it will go for roughly a grand.

There's more than one reason this won't be offered as a mass produced kit.

For starters, the complexity of it. To break even on it, the kit would have to be well over $2,000, anything less and I'm giving it away.

I initially figured the cost around $1,000, but after all the work, molds, parts etc. that figure was way underestimated.

Secondly, a licensed company has announced they're planning on making one, and it's not a good idea for a garage kit to be stepping on their toes. They paid for a license, at considerable cost, so it's unfair for me to take away any sales they may eventually have. If they read that someone would rather buy mine than theirs, they're not going to like that much, and they shouldn't, as like I said they paid for a license.

So, the people that I have said will get one, will get one as soon as it's finished, and that should be later this summer.

So, the people that I have said will get one, will get one as soon as it's finished, and that should be later this summer.

So...how ABOUT that, um, "challenge", then? The other curvy ESB thing I mean...as a consolation prize...eh? :D

I think thats a wise move to be brutally honest Rich. I know many want this as a kit, but if Bryan and the crew are going to go there, its only good sport i guess to pave the way, so to speak?

As for other curvy things, cant say id want that to happen, seriously guys, it really wont work, and if we are looking at a realistic $2K for Slave, the other curvy one, id say add some....as your pretty much looking at a design, easily as complex as S1, and at least from the hulls point of view, possibly more complex.

lee

That one is actually mine, from my masters. And it won't be kitted. It's only for scratch builders. More to the point, for anyone who is familiar with the filming model, the RT has even more layered detailing than S1. Some things cannot be made as "kits". The models that work for kits are generally those that ILM needed multiples of because they designed them to be castings.

Wow...2 grand. I know that is a steal even at that price and Rel...you do beautiful work. However, this puts a heavy burden on my wallet. I really want the Slave I in S.S....so I'm saving as much $ as I can possibly squander.I don't know if I can feasably put that much aside in a couple short months?That is the real challenge.At least for me.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back