Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow Chrome Window Tints?

madrobot

Sr Member
Where can I get the stuff without having to buy huge quantities?

I'm working on a project and I need some chrome finish window tint that I can see through. Would prefer colors, and the obligatory silver, dark silver, and bronze.

I can't specify what the project is at this time.

AutoZone has a pretty decent selection of small rolls (about 3 inches by 5 feet for $6 or so). I know they have chrome, aluminum, carbon fiber, and a few others. I think I saw colors there too.

Equally, most hobby shops that stock R/C car supplies have colored chrome vinyl sheets.

Buy plain chrome at an auto store and use coloured acrylic sheet.
I used smoked acrylic and a chrome tint backing for a TIE helmet.

Today I found out that there is one thing that I cannot do, and I'm pretty sure a nutless monkey could probably have done a very simple task that I myself found impossible.

Apply a piece of window tint to a curved surface.

Yes, that's right. I spent $11.00 on some very nice window tint to find out that I, a skilled craftsman could not do one of the simplest things in the world, apply window tint.

After calling the place in regards to finding out what I possibly could have done wrong, I decided to watch youtube. Which made me feel even more ignorant and stupid, as I'm pretty sure on at least 3 occasions the people who were applying the stuff were High, and I don't mean on a Rocky Mountain High with John Denver.

I have found out that apparently with all of my power, and intellect, there are some things that are beyond my capability. This is coming from someone who has always looked at everything from the standpoint of "How hard can that be, if someone else is doing it?".

So today, I've decided that I should probably become a recreational drug user, because I'm obviously too sober to do even one of the most simple tasks in this world. Before anyone tells me that Window tinting is hard, I already know that.

I just wanted to vent. To all of the people who can do window tinting, you nutless monkeys can go to hell.

Just kidding. I wish everyone a happy and prosperous New Year.

Have you tried applying while some indirect heat from a heat gun blows on it. It may make it pliable enough to conform to the curve.

I'd offer to do it for you, but I can even apply a bumber sticker to my car window without a bubble or two getting under there.

I don't use drugs either, so that must be the problem. Now where'd my girlfriend hide her stash...;)

Oddly enough, it worked perfectly when applied to a completely flat surface, that were made of glass.

It might be the fact that the face shield in question is made of Lexan, and might not be something that the water based adhesive can bond to.

Just some hints, use a drop or two of dish soap in the water, second use a hair dryer to help shape the film...

AHA!!!! I figured it out!

Applying it like a wet decal works, but the KEY to it for me was using a super stiff squeegee to knock the underlying water out of it. THEN, it was a matter of working all the little imperfections out, and it turned out beautifully. I'm pretty psyched.

Now my project can move forward.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back