Batman Begins Closet

EchoSix

I'm going to be diligently starting the process of making an accurate closet from Batman Begins. I've been "contracted" to build one and I need some more information than what's available through screen grabs and production interior shots.

This closet will be going beyond the fan made ones that we've seen over time. I'm a self employed carpenter/woodworker with a modest shop. So I'm gonna' be able to dedicate some serious effort into doing it as close as possible, as far as hardware, material, finish and quality.

What I need are exterior dimensions and a possible photo of the full front exterior, with doors closed. The inside is the easy part. But I'm wanting to make the doors as accurate as can be.

This is the best I can come up with, from a screen grab...

cap001-2.jpg

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to who would have been part of that bit of the film or if anyone has any knowledge about this at all, please email me at echosix (at) sbcglobal (dot) net.

Thanks. :)

Thanks. And yeah... I'm looking forward to it too. I wasn't aware of how much info I HAVE gathered, but to do it properly, I need to find access to the style wardrobe they used.

Nobody knows?

Yeah, I've seen the one that one of the Bobs made. Theirs is great, as far as scale and quality, but the wood isn't accurate and it's just a facade, of course.

I'm looking to make an accurate piece of furniture, exactly as in the film, rather than just three walls. My guess is though, that the drawers on the rear inside wall, are completely aesthetic and non-functional...

ClosetSceneFinished5.jpg

I would have thought that someone here would have had a hand in the film. Or at least knowledge of someone who knew someone involved.

Last edited:
Okay, I've been shown some PRETTY heavily detailed pictures of all sides of this closet. Even the workings of the locks and gears for the insides of the doors. The exterior of the doors are pretty daunting.

I've got a question...

I do want to make a single, fully accurate wardrobe/armoire, with fully functioning handles, locking mechanisms, accurate construction, material, etc. (more for show than anything)... But, would there be more of an attraction for my reproducing fully functional armoires that'll undoubtedly cost a fortune or ones with dummy handles and accurate "looking" materials that only look accurate, only to keep costs down?

The inside is not drawers. They are holes for hangers to hang weapons or battle armor gear.
Alteast it looks like that if you look at asian furiture from the samurai era. Dont belive they have other function as drawers.

For furniture you should consider if you want the details handcarved.
This is more expensive but can be sorted by a furniture or decor carver localy.
Another option is to have this made in asia. It will be made of probably light wood as many of the asian furniture are.
They are easier to carv. (Rain forest wood) Also if you find the direct link you can get it pretty cheaply made.

You can also make a plaster detail and mould it on and glue it on.
However this might not look so realistic.

I embrace to se this project comming to life :)

Last edited:
This armoire is Chinese, not Japanese. Chinese furniture was synonymous for having the large split circle design on its doors and being overly ornate. Japanese furniture was far simpler IF they even used furniture. Closets in Japan were very similar to the closets we have in America today.

And Samurai usually displayed their armor in the open, proudly.

The exterior of the armoire is original and the interior was altered for the film. The hardware on each "drawer face" are modern flush marine pulls. Those were not used in China, for furniture. They used rings for some of their drawers, but they were not flush... They dangled like an earring would. Chinese furniture also didn't use screws either, like the marine pulls have in this piece. Instead, they used "pins" with rounded heads, similar to hand cut nails but far more decorative.

Armoires or "chest of drawers", almost always had drawers that went all the way up to the top of the armoires, to facilitate the space the thing took up. They didn't usually waste space. Of course a ladder or stool was needed to access whatever was up there, but it was still a common design. Although the drawers were often juuuuuust inside the backs of the doors, not allowing much space between the two, edit this cabinet has plenty of room between the drawers and doors, showing how it was altered for the film's purposes.

Plus, there are a couple of shelves that are mounted across a couple of the drawers and that would have kept them from opening. They were placed there for the film's needs too.

The rear of the Begins Closet is a new facade that was made for the film, from my understanding.

Last edited:
Would I be able to get those detail photos emailed to me? I'm planning on putting one of these together in the future and would like some shots while they're still around.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back