Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Patattack's Avatar
    From
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec 9, 2008, 6:39 PM - Tips for sculpting a mask? #1

I've never done any kind of sculpture before - at least, nothing that had to look like something else. So I was wondering, if I want to sculpt a mask (mostly flat, but domed out a bit and hollow in the back) how should I start? What kind of materials should I use? Solid clay? Clay around something else?

I would really appreciate any advice!
    From
    Southern Cali (Orange County)
    Dec 9, 2008, 8:29 PM - Re: Tips for sculpting a mask? #2

If you want it to fit correct I suggest buying a Manniquen head and start laying down clay over that.

I typically always use oil based clay which is nice since it wont dry out or shrink if you dont finishing quickly and during molding as well.

Seach on ebay and where ever else for sculpting tools, which will help you create different surfaces and angles.
  3. RPF Premium Member Patattack's Avatar
    From
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec 9, 2008, 10:08 PM - Re: Tips for sculpting a mask? #3

Tim Allen said: View Post
    If you want it to fit correct I suggest buying a Manniquen head and start laying down clay over that.

I typically always use oil based clay which is nice since it wont dry out or shrink if you dont finishing quickly and during molding as well.

Seach on ebay and where ever else for sculpting tools, which will help you create different surfaces and angles.
    Thanks!

...But as far as a base, a mannequin head won't do the trick - it's not really face-shaped at all.

From
    Southern Cali (Orange County)
    Dec 10, 2008, 1:07 AM - Re: Tips for sculpting a mask? #4

In the case you can make a rough shape out of paper or anything really so you waste a bunch if clay bulding up the base, and then lay clay over the top of that.
    From
    Sweden
    Dec 10, 2008, 8:57 AM - Re: Tips for sculpting a mask? #5

See if you could find a big styrofoam heart that you can buy in hobby stores then use clay over that.
    From
    behind you, Ray!
    Dec 10, 2008, 9:05 AM - Re: Tips for sculpting a mask? #6

All you need to know, and buy, you can find it at www.monstermakers.com
    From
    Portland, OR
    Dec 10, 2008, 2:44 PM - Re: Tips for sculpting a mask? #7

Pat,

The picture you posted reminds me very much of the kind of papier-maché artwork that you can find in Mexico. I've seen similar stylings in Cancun/Isla Mujeres, but I'm sure the art extends across the whole country.

Is this mask for display or wearing? Either way, I would rough out the shape with balloons and newspaper, or foam, and then cover with papier-maché. When dried, it's sandable and then you can seal with shellac and paint. The cones can be done separately from the heart and added later to keep the forms simple.

I used to have a recipe for engrudo and migajon, but that was lost with my old hard drive a few weeks ago. A google search should turn something up.
  8. RPF Premium Member Patattack's Avatar
    From
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec 11, 2008, 9:10 AM - Re: Tips for sculpting a mask? #8

Thanks for the tips guys! I didn't realize papier-maché was sandable, so I think that would be a great start for me. The styrofoam craft heart is also a surprisingly simple solution. Hopefully in some time I'll be able to get some progress pics up in here.
    From
    Sweden
    Dec 11, 2008, 9:50 AM - Re: Tips for sculpting a mask? #9

Patattack said: View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys! I didn't realize papier-maché was sandable, so I think that would be a great start for me. The styrofoam craft heart is also a surprisingly simple solution. Hopefully in some time I'll be able to get some progress pics up in here.
    There is also styrofoam spikes for you to buy

And there is a Papercraft mask that you can cut and fold yourself.
    http://members.home.nl/saarloos/zeldamodels.htm
    Last edited by Contec; Dec 11, 2008 at 9:55 AM.