Evil Dead II Ash Chainsaw

Sidewinder

Sr Member
So, i've got the Homelite XL saw - I'd like to know what the part stuck on the starter cover is? It's some sort of vented engine cover I think but don't know what its from.

Plus does anyone have pics of the reproductions that were made by that bloke who used to sell replicas?

SAS

Last edited:
Re: Evil Dead Ash Chainsaw

Why yes, yes I do. Including step-by steps.

I'll dig them out and post them later tonight.

I gutted my homelite last winter, sculpted and cast the vent thingy (not great but it was my first sculpt and casting ever), and that's where production stopped.

I'd be interested in some guidance as well.
mike

Any news on those pics Raffles?

In the meantime here is the saw I just got, its a metal bodied (Magnesium) XL Auto Oiler and as you can see its pre-weathered :) No bar or chain but i don't need those prop wise anyway.
There are some screws missing for securing the starter housing to main body and one of the flywheel pawls is broken but the pull start still works.

I cleaned it up of gunk a bit, put a new sparkplug in (old one was broken) and fueled it. After a few pulls it sprang into life - idles nicely with a bit of adjustment and revs well.

Thoughts thus far are to modify it to Evil Dead II specs (pre stump attachment) but maintain it with a functional engine and possibly put a soundboard in from a toy saw for when a running petrol engine would be undesirable( ie. inside running).

To that end i'm gonna cut the top handle off and replace with the EDII hinged metal top plate and handle arrangement. The carb intake/choke lever area might force me to be not entirely SA there but i will work around that. Also as the trigger is in the handle i'll need to take some artistic licence with the EDII style handle to maintain functionality.

As this will be used as a LRP prop at some point the bar/chain will be aluminium/plastic with a bicycle chain and be completely static. However the option to put a real bar/chain on will still be possible for display (or woodcutting) use.

Out of interest anyone know what the little round thing is that Ash attaches to the top of the engine prior to closing the lid down? I assume its so he can 'rev' the saw but what is it really?

SAS

Chain bar made from 2x30mm section ally sandwiched between plasticard, small plasticard 'teeth' glued to bar at intervals to locate the bicycle chain which was then hotglued on (once painted will look like 'gibs').
Initial test fit successful.

SAS

I've been working on mine for some time now. I can't seem to get the right amount of "weather" on it.

I'm building the Workshed saw, and i cant find the right orange color to paint the body.
Anyone have any ideas?

Bit more progress, cut the handle off being careful not to get metal fines into the carb!
Should be able to use the original trigger mechanism but will need to make a longer connecting rod due to the replacement handle being higher up.
Stop switch will need a longer wire to reach its new higher position too.

For the fake circular vent, i've cast a thick disc of resin using a plastic tub for a mold, now needs the edge rounding and slots milling in it.

Have also got some electronics for making the idle/revving sounds to fit under the new top cover I need to make.

SAS

I always loved these props. You guys are doing an outstanding job. If anyone can find a cheap saw around the place let me know. It doesn't need to work either. Like to have a crack at it myself.

Regards
TAZ

Topcover basic fabrication done. First created a template in card and then used 1mm steel sheet cut out with a nibbler.
Drilled and tapped the saw body and bolted it on. Had to bend the choke lever up so it protruded above the level of the cover and then cut a slot for it.
Bought some 2x25mm ally strip for the handle and found some 1" dia wood dowel (think it was a curtain rail) for it and the pull start toggle.
So handle and throttle mechanism is next.

The size/shape of the cover is a bit of an amalgamation of the various props used in ED II & III (i.e. not SA) but is necessary to maintan the functionallity i want.

SAS

Cover, handle, throttle trigger & stop switch all installed and working.
Pleased with how its developed despite the bear minimum of measuring stuff etc :)

SAS

Fake vent piece bored out to accept SFX speaker and slots milled in, then screwed to the starter housing.
OK, I've gotta ask - why the speaker? You've been painstakingly working around a working engine. What is the speaker gonna do? And how did you run the wires for it without getting tangled in the recoil spring/housing and flywheel?

Running an engine indoors (espesh a 2stroke) is utterly impractical so I needed a way of having SFX for when the prop is used indoors. This is gonna be used for LRPing at some point.
The wire will be tied to one of the fins on the bottom and a hole drilled in the flange face to allow them to run through into the housing, it'll then run along the inside an up into the cover where the electronics will be. This will keep it clear of moving parts.

Note: the starter recoil spring is an absolute PIG to get back in once its out.

SAS

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back