Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

OK yesterday I managed to tack down the portions of the inner dish that were lifting (and throwing off the scale look).

it was a bit tricky getting glue in there. I taped off the surface, and placed a bit of CA on a very thin strip of styrene, and slid it under the lifting edge.

In doing so, I learned that there were two or three other areas along the circumference of this inner dish that were likewise lifting. Got it all tacked down now.

Also, I am up to five corrected styrene detail pieces. Enough that I can begin to see the overall relief of the dish begin to diminish, which is good!

I'll post pics later, but my photo posting will slow down. PC has a minor issue in that I must do a cold boot to get the SD card reader to read. After a single download off the SD card, I have to reboot again to down load again.

building-death-star-production-030611-0025.jpg-47344d1299550121

Last edited:
Wow, "Look at the size of that thing!"

That painful labor of love surely paid off. It looks miles-wide in the photo - just how an X-wing pilot sees it in space - and not at all just a ball inside the garage. Really it looks gigantic. Majestic. Incredible work.

Totally agree..............that shot in the garage where it's way in the background......takes my breath away. I simply cannot wait to see this thing with windows lit.........LOL.

Last edited:
Here's yesterday's progress.

You can see the lifting area I glued down, but the angles are different so the "after" photo isn't quite as clear.

In the thrid photo, look at the detail pieces at 11:00. You can see where I sanded them down (compared to the others close by).

Last edited:
Thanks Art... And with your understanding of focus, depth of field, lighting, and shadows, you can see what a difference this will make in the end.

You've probably heard this a lot, but you have done a spectacular job on this build. The paint job and graphite lines look spot on.:thumbsup

Got three more dish detail pieces done today, and about 10% more on the finessing.

Surface texture finessing should be done in one week.

Then unless I can find something else to bog me down, on to lights.

Not lights, holes, you'll be making holes.

Unless of course you are installing a buttload of grain-o-wheat bulbs, a huge heat sink and a fire extinguisher.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back