Luke's ROTJ hero lightsaber "stem" color?

jason1976

Sr Member
Ok, Ok, I know, there are a lot of threads about this saber. Even ones about painting this saber. But, after scouring all of them that I could find, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to my question. That color is the "stem" (the part under the emitter) on Luke's ROTJ lightsaber? Copper? Gold? Brass? etc. I can't tell from the pics. Some it looks very copper, but in others it looks like gold/brass, and others it looks like aged gold/brass. Some pics look a little washed out though. and some pics that get posted as this saber, are actually the extending version, or the resin version. So what color was the stem on the hero, that we see in sources like "from "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: the best of the Lucas film archives".

Last edited:
Re: Luke's ROFJ hero lightsaber "stem" color?

I always thought it was copper paint - could be wrong though...

Never saw the ROFJ saber. Is that like the ROTFL Saber?? :lol

I believe it's copper.

FB

The best paint I've seen is from Ace hardware. It is sort of in between gold and copper.

-best

Dan

Never saw the ROFJ saber. Is that like the ROTFL Saber?? :lol

It's what Palpatine said when Luke showed up at the Death Star II: Return of the ****ing Jedi.

To answer the OP, it was copper paint. However, if you're doing a V2 it's bare metal with flecks of copper paint peeking out from behind flecks of black paint. And if you're doing a shared stunt, it's actual real copper I believe.

if you're doing a shared stunt, it's actual real copper I believe.

This is a mistake. The shared stunt was a cast aluminum prop and all copper color on the original was paint.

The copper paint used on the hero lightsaber was a bit more gold in hue than that on the shared stunt.

I recomend for the Yuma saber or ISYHCANL hero using "ACE. Metallic Spray Paint". They have a shade of copper that looks sort of like a gold with a red tint on the cap, which I find makes the most accurate color to the original.

For a shared stunt, you could go with a more straight copper, like Testors.

Dan

This is a mistake. The shared stunt was a cast aluminum prop and all copper color on the original was paint.

The copper paint used on the hero lightsaber was a bit more gold in hue than that on the shared stunt.

I recomend for the Yuma saber or ISYHCANL hero using "ACE. Metallic Spray Paint". They have a shade of copper that looks sort of like a gold with a red tint on the cap, which I find makes the most accurate color to the original.

For a shared stunt, you could go with a more straight copper, like Testors.

Dan

Well the exact saber I'm working on is one of your Yuma/ISYHCANL hero saber blanks Dan. :)

I have JE luke ROTJ that looks a little to gold. (because I think they used actually brass for the stem) and I'm almost finished with a resin one, that I used Tomya Copper, witch I think looks really good, but it maybe just a littely too copper, for this saber, so I'll take a look at this Ace brand. :)

Here's mine:

100_2480.jpg

I bought liquid copper leafing at the craft store, mixed it with a bit of thinner, and shot it through my airbrush. I'm not sure how screen accurate the color is, but I think it looks really good and real. Depending on the light, it can have a very copper look or a slighly goldish tint.

Last edited:
Here's mine:

100_2480.jpg

I bought liquid copper leafing at the craft store, mixed it with a bit of thinner, and shot it through my airbrush. I'm not sure how screen accurate the color is, but I think it looks really good and real. Depending on the light, it can have a very copper look or a slighly goldish tint.

OO, that does look really good. :) It looks a lot like the colors on the "ISYHCANL" in my copy of "FSWTIJTBOTLFA".(Man even our abbreviations are long. :lol)

Thanks. The brand is Liquid Leaf, and the stock number is 6160 (Copper).

If you want to go this route and can't find any, I'd be happy to pick you up a bottle and ship it. Or if you want to send me your blank, I could hit it with my airbrush for you. Same goes for anyone else out there. I have a whole bottle of this stuff, and nothing to paint it on. Better to help out fellow RPFers than letting it go to waste. Take care of postage and maybe a buck for time, and I'd be happy copperize sabers.

If you want to go this route and can't find any, I'd be happy to pick you up a bottle and ship it. Or if you want to send me your blank, I could hit it with my airbrush for you. Same goes for anyone else out there. I have a whole bottle of this stuff, and nothing to paint it on. Better to help out fellow RPFers than letting it go to waste. Take care of postage and maybe a buck for time, and I'd be happy copperize sabers.

WOW! That's an incredibly generous off. I'm going to check my local arts stores, and maybe check out that ace paint (since I have an ace down the road from me.) But, it's good to know I have options, and if I don't find anything, I be dropping you a PM. :)

I found it to day at Michel's and I even had a 20%off coupon. :) What did you use to thin it, and how much should I use. (1 to 1? thicker?, thinner? etc.) It says to thin with xylene, but I don't think I've ever used that before, and I don't know where to get it.

I found it to day at Michel's and I even had a 20%off coupon. :) What did you use to thin it, and how much should I use. (1 to 1? thicker?, thinner? etc.) It says to thin with xylene, but I don't think I've ever used that before, and I don't know where to get it.

Xylene is essentially just paint thinner. I honestly cant remember what ratio I used. I think it was 1:1. You'll need a couple coats of the stuff on the saber, and after you've let it completely cure (24 hours or so) lightly buff it with a lint free cloth. It'll get rid of the grainy appearance and shine it up a bit.

Nah, but that's personal preferance. I hate the way clear coats make real metal look fake. Sure, it'll dull and maybe chip over time, but it's no big deal to just spray a little more a few years down the line.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back