Doctor Who: Cybermen gun

00MrNotWrong00

Sr Member
I've been wanting to do this for like two years now and I finally found the time. I have it at just over 40 inches and it looks right, but I was wondering if anyone knew the actual size?

If you know please let me in on it, and if you don't please let me know what you think of my work.

You can see my other pieces if you click on my name and go to the link for yourprops.com . Please leave some feed back, and if you know something I don't please tell me all about it.

One more thing, If anyone knows how I can make my pictures bigger, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Does anyone know how big this should be?

The title of your thread had me scratching my head at first. :lol Of course, I was thinking of something else.

I have no idea what it's suppose to be but it's looking cool :)

It's the gun from the new Dr.Who. They first used it in the first episode with a dalek. Then all the cybermen were carrying it. You can also find it in the board room on TorchWood.

Thank you for the support.

It looks like its about the right size, for guns, I think the best way to scale it would be to make the handle/grip to fit your hand and then scale it from there. Very nice clean sketch on the wood btw!!

One more thing, If anyone knows how I can make my pictures bigger, please let me know.

You can use a photo host site like Photobucket; it's free, uploads from your computer are fast, and there is an option listed below the "upload file" button that lets you choose what size picture you want to reduce or enlarge to. It also provides an IMG code below the uploaded image that you click on and automatically copies the code for you, then you just paste that code into your post...

cybergun.jpg

HTH

BTW, that looks frakking cool! can't wait to see the finished product...

Last edited:

It looks like its about the right size, for guns, I think the best way to scale it would be to make the handle/grip to fit your hand and then scale it from there. Very nice clean sketch on the wood btw!!

Thank you for your input, It makes me very happy when people like my work.

Looks like a great start in the picture! Can you post closer up (larger) pictures of the gun photo and your sketch? That'll give us a better source to critique, if that's what you're looking for.

Also, I'm editing your thread title to be more descriptive.

Looks like a great start in the picture! Can you post closer up (larger) pictures of the gun photo and your sketch? That'll give us a better source to critique, if that's what you're looking for.

Also, I'm editing your thread title to be more descriptive.

Thank you so much. I think the photo is copyrighted, it was floating around on a few threads but now i can't find it anymore. I'll have more picture of the piece tomorrow or maybe even tonight.

The picture that is up right now was to big. I shaved about two inches off it but it still seems a bit an the large side.

I wish someone had one of the props from the show.

Oh, that looks damn cool! :)

BTW, the pic is from the Dr Who Visual Dictionary.
DW-VDDoomsdayBFG.jpg

C.

Thank you for all the nice words. This is where I am right now.

(click for larger picture)

Some one has got to be able to help me with this whole posting pictures thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice progress!! How long did that take you? Is it all MDF? Are you going to mold it?

Some one has got to be able to help me with this whole posting pictures thing.
Fixed. I uploaded them to imageshack.us since the ones you uploaded are huuuge. But I kept the original links for reference.

Very nice progress!! How long did that take you? Is it all MDF? Are you going to mold it?

Fixed. I uploaded them to imageshack.us since the ones you uploaded are huuuge. But I kept the original links for reference.

Oh thank you. I have about 6 hours in right now and I can normally have a piece finished in under 40.

I haven't built a roto-caster yet so I'll be vacuum-forming it. I think the screen used prop is vacuum formed. I mostly work in mdf because it holds up so well to multiple pressings.

I have to go

thank you for the support.

Scaling that image it looks like the cables are 12mm(or 1/2") which makes the black straps on the parallel world transporter near it 50mm(2") and the total gun length around 835mm.

Roughly:lol

Oh, that looks damn cool! :)

BTW, the pic is from the Dr Who Visual Dictionary.
DW-VDDoomsdayBFG.jpg

C.

Scaling that image it looks like the cables are 12mm(or 1/2") which makes the black straps on the parallel world transporter near it 50mm(2") and the total gun length around 835mm.

Roughly:lol

That would be around 33 inches. At that size the handle would be much to small for the Cyber-Men to get their hands around. On the official bbc web site there are some pics of behind the seens where the actors are holding the gun and it looks like the clip comming out of the stock is about 2 inches from the persons elbow and a cybermen is standing next two a gun leaning up on his leg and it just reaches his crotch. Now the actors playing cybermen are on high heals and from most of the shots I've seen it looks like they tryed to find the tallest guys they could to play the part, but that still makes me think the hole gun should be about 36 inches (or three feet) and that would make my gun to big by two inches. I've looked over it again and again and I can't figure out where I could shave two more inches off. Oh yeah and right now it feels so cool to hold it really feels right.

So should I start over or not make it at all untill some one can figure out the exact size? or should I finish it ?

So should I start over or not make it at all untill some one can figure out the exact size? or should I finish it ?
From experience, second guessing yourself isn't a good idea. I locked in a measurement on a prop, second guessed myself, then redid it just to find out my initial measurement was correct.

So unless you're 100% sure you don't have the right size (and know what the right size is) I'd keep with it. At worst, hold off on it and do a little more research, but I wouldn't scrub the project entirely.

It took a lot longer than I wanted but I think I got the sides shaved down to the right angles. Things would have gone much faster if I could have found the sanding disk attachment for my grinder. Looks like I'll be making a trip to harbor freight this week.
Right now I'm pretty happy with the way things are going with this piece and I hope to have it on the vacuum table by next weekend.

http://www.hooverae.com/upload/files/261008/4206674.jpeg

http://www.hooverae.com/upload/files/261008/4270762.jpeg

So I finally finished painting in the shop. So I can get back to working on the cyber-gun then I ran across an old thread witch had pictures of the Wilco Pulse Pistol (the gun from Farscape) and I just could not believe how much better it looked than mine. They made it longer than it should be and thinner. It looks like something a bad ass Pimp would whip out and lay some body out with. Then I went back to mine and I just could not leave it the way it looked. So I pulled it apart and spent most of the evening reworking my old buck. Here are some pictures. The first picture is of what I was painting in the shop, and the second picture is of the old buck I had to destroy.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back