Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Portland, OR
    Mar 10, 2009, 6:05 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #51

Yup, many thanks for the reference pics!

The tip ("sharp end") seems familiar - is it a repurposed Dalek part or something? I know i've seen it somewhere before.
    From
    London, UK
    Mar 10, 2009, 7:42 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #52

Lovely pictures indeed. That's one of the things that makes me sad about propmaking; so much effort and time can be spent putting in details and all the finishing touches, only to be a distant "maybe" as to whether they are seen or not. In some cases, even used! A paycheck is one thing, but there's more love in this line of work.
    From
    Warrington U.K.
    Mar 11, 2009, 6:12 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #53

Many thanks for the pictures.
    Anyone I.D. any parts ?
    The flex hose is -3 aeroquip thats for sure, but the nozzle ? looks familiar, but ??? And the hand grip hatching , is it from a bought gun ?
    My replica has started, but any found oarts are a bonus....
  4. mike1860
    Mar 12, 2009, 1:30 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #54

Great work as an idea ive used these on endo heads instead of useing the metal conduit use crome plated split loom you should be able to buy it at most auto parts stores. http://cableorganizer.com/convoshield/ 39" for $9bucks...
    From
    south australia
    Mar 12, 2009, 3:01 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #55

From
    Stevensville MD
    Mar 12, 2009, 6:02 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #56

mike1860 said: View Post
    Great work as an idea ive used these on endo heads instead of useing the metal conduit use crome plated split loom you should be able to buy it at most auto parts stores. http://cableorganizer.com/convoshield/ 39" for $9bucks...
    Thank you I ran across that just the other day. That is what I've decided to go with.
    From
    Stevensville MD
    Mar 12, 2009, 6:17 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #57

Is that really the prop ? Or is that a fan made item ?

I'm not trying to be funny, but when my item is finished (who knows when that is going to be) I believe my item is going to look much more convincing an appealing to the eye than what I'm seeing here.

I wonder how often something like that happens, a prop made by a fan looking much nicer than the actual piece ?

I don't mean to toot my own horn but toot toot

If that is the real prop it makes me feel really good about myself, I really needed that right now.

Thank you so much for posting these pictures.
  8. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    UK
    Mar 12, 2009, 8:22 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #58

00MrNotWrong00 said: View Post

I'm not trying to be funny, but when my item is finished (who knows when that is going to be) I believe my item is going to look much more convincing an appealing to the eye than what I'm seeing here.

I wonder how often something like that happens, a prop made by a fan looking much nicer than the actual piece ?

If that is the real prop it makes me feel really good about myself, I really needed that right now.

Yeah it's definately the real thing! It actually looks really good in person.
  9. mike1860
    Mar 13, 2009, 1:18 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #59

Ive gotta have one of these kits when there done .Im working on the 10th doctors costume and my best friend is working on the 5th.So any props to go along with them would be awsome!!!!!!
    From
    Terra Inlandia
    Mar 13, 2009, 10:43 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #60

clutch said: View Post
    Point sharp end at enemy.
    I always appreciate helpful operating instructions like that.
    From
    The Void
    Mar 13, 2009, 11:22 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #61

Hey why not toot your own horn, you're doing an awesome job of re-creating the original Preacher rifle so far and I'm sure your version will be finished sooner rather than later (life problems willing).

I think until fairly recently the props used for TV and film were only finished to the level of detail which the cameras would pick up and no more. This however I'd say is changing as we speak, with the advent of HD TV and HD video shooting for movies too, the detail needs to be there because if it's not it'll show in the final product.

Roughneckone
    From
    Wirral, UK
    Mar 13, 2009, 12:23 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #62

I've been to all the UK Doctor Who exhibitions this year, bar one (who wants to go to lands-end??) and can state that quality of the prop building is exceptional.

I'm not quite seeing what problem MrNotWrong is seeing with the screen-used prop?

Care to elucidate?
    From
    Stevensville MD
    Mar 13, 2009, 3:38 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #63

Birdie said: View Post
    I've been to all the UK Doctor Who exhibitions this year, bar one (who wants to go to lands-end??) and can state that quality of the prop building is exceptional.

I'm not quite seeing what problem MrNotWrong is seeing with the screen-used prop?

Care to elucidate?
    I think Roughneckone probably hit the nail on the head.

I don't mean to offend anyone but that item defiantly looks better on video than on film. Also it was probably never meant for closeups.

I just told yet another employer to eat a big one , so I should be able to put a lot more time into this now. You will see the difference in quality between this item and mine , even if I have to borrow my a better camera from some one.

Again I don't mean to blast any ones work. I'm just not blown away by what I saw in these pictures. In my opinion people that get my item will be very happy with what they get.
    From
    UK
    Mar 13, 2009, 3:45 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #64

More piccies of the Gun.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Andy

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR BIGGER PIC.

Last edited by clanger68; Mar 13, 2009 at 3:49 PM.
    From
    The Void
    Mar 13, 2009, 4:01 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #65

clanger68 said: View Post
    More piccies of the Gun.

Enjoy.
    Great shots Andy, thanks for sharing.

Roughneckone
    From
    Stevensville MD
    Mar 22, 2009, 2:53 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #66

Have you ever had to do something to a prop you really didn't want to ?

After about two hours of looking at actors holding the actual prop and standing in front of a mirror trying to hold the gun at the same angles it became clear to me I had done it again. Reactor drone was right about the size and I've made yet another over sized prop.

I have to kick this habit some how or people are going to think I'm trying to make up for something.

Anyway I should have the thing back together (but smaller) by the end of the night .
    From
    Sweden
    Mar 22, 2009, 3:36 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #67

Has it crossed you mind that maybe YOU are of a diffrent size than the actors.
    /Conny
    From
    Stevensville MD
    Mar 22, 2009, 4:21 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #68

contec said: View Post
    Has it crossed you mind that maybe YOU are of a diffrent size than the actors.
    /Conny
    Yes I have taken that into account. I'm a fairly large guy and it looks a bit large next to me. That's bad. I'll have it corrected tonight.

I really didn't want to do this, but I want this to be the nicest item I've ever made. I want this to be the beginning of a new level of quality for my work.
    From
    The Void
    Mar 22, 2009, 4:33 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #69

Scary picture , please make go away!

Seriously though, I thought it looked pretty good proportionally before. As Contec said maybe you are to a "different" scale to the actors holding the prop.
    Anyhoo, I'd say it's a "fait accompli" now, just hope you can put Humpty back together again!

Roughneckone
    Last edited by Roughneckone; Mar 22, 2009 at 4:41 PM.
    From
    London, UK
    Mar 22, 2009, 6:29 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #70

Tragic man! At least there are places you can shave some from so you don't have to start all over again, that'd be a horrible waste of time. Hope you find yourself happy with it eventually.
    From
    Stevensville MD
    Mar 31, 2009, 5:14 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #71

Well after putting it back together again it was still to big so I had to pull it apart again. She's all back together now and just over three inches shorter. I can now look in the mirror and hold her the way the actors do in the pictures and get the same image. She doesn't put a grin on my face from ear to ear anymore but now I'm sure I'm within an eight of an inch to the actual prop. At this size she feels like a big P90.

Anyway here is a picture of the progress (if you can call it that).

From
    The Void
    Mar 31, 2009, 5:37 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #72

Well after putting it back together again it was still to big so I had to pull it apart again. She's all back together now and just over three inches shorter. I can now look in the mirror and hold her the way the actors do in the pictures and get the same image. She doesn't put a grin on my face from ear to ear anymore but now I'm sure I'm within an eight of an inch to the actual prop. At this size she feels like a big P90.
    Now thats what you call dedication!

Nice phaser BTW.

Roughneckone
    Last edited by Roughneckone; Apr 2, 2009 at 8:00 AM.
    From
    The Void
    Apr 2, 2009, 1:52 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #73

Actually having looked at the image of your final assembly I have a feeling that the two sections I've circled in the image look somewhat shorter than they do in the image of the original rifle (might just be the angle of your shot) also the pump action section looks longer in yours. Not meant as criticism just an observation BTW!

Last edited by Roughneckone; Apr 2, 2009 at 4:06 PM.
    From
    Sweden
    Apr 2, 2009, 4:55 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #74

Great Roughneckone, Now you made him cut it all up again
    From
    The Void
    Apr 2, 2009, 5:51 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Cybermen gun #75

contec said: View Post
    Great Roughneckone, Now you made him cut it all up again
    Soreee