Luke on Tauntaun Stop motion replica. Finished Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Cowen

Sr Member
Luke on Tauntaun Stop motion replica. Home at last.

:loveHi all, I have been thinking of a commission that I'd like for some time now & always come back to the same thing, Luke on Tauntaun. To me it is one of the most iconic Star Wars images & one that has always been foremost in my mind as a really want item. I would love to commission a one off or even a very small run of around 5 of these. I wouldn't know were to begin looking or who to approach but would consider any members that would be up for the job?

There are so many talented sculptors & model makers around here that surely this must be a possibility? Please if you would like to take on such a task or know a man that would please pm me with your details. I am very serious about this & really want to get it off the ground.

Mods, I'm not sure what section this should be under but if I can leave it here for now even though its a WTD item, I would consider creating my own as a group build if people were up for it?

Last edited:
Re: Luke on Tauntaun Stop motion replica?

Guy, I was thinking about this just last night! I'd love to have one that could be articulated, as well. Needs an armature, of course. I'd happily be among the run if you get something going. All ESB all the TIME!!

Jason, cool kit, I remember those! Howard's awesome... ;)

So,you are wanting to make an actual stop-motion puppet,not just a solid cast resin piece?This involves quite a bit of designing/engineering,at least equal to the art/skill involved.Stop-motion has advanced some(of course with the help of Phil Tippet).Latex does not last long...it breaks down,so if you are wanting a piece that will withstand the test of time,I think casting the pupet(when it gets to that point) should be done in either a urethane or silicone rubber and not latex.latex is more user friendly,but like I said....latex ages,gets old,cracks/dries up and will rot.The aluminum or stainless steel armature used will require some precision,so you would need someone who is not only well versed with a vertical mill and engine lathe,but someone who is familiiar with stop-motion joints.There are two basic types that are used widely;the ball/socket and the hinge.There are other varrients of these joints,but are far more complex.This is a great idea,but not something to be done half assed.Check into www.stopmotionanimation.com. You will find a number of stop-motion enthusiasts(plus there are tutorials) to give you a good idea of what is involved in creating a stop-motion armature,the casting of a puppet and the finished detailing.

Id be in if it means a run being done too Guy, the armature is the least of the worry buddy, its the outer skin/form thats the one that would be a headache, even the fur is totally possible.
Itll be a spendy one in any case i feel, but like i said, if it takes numbers to get him done.....im all ears!

lee

I will make this happen if its the last thing I do Lee, I've already started approaching people about this & have even been in touch with Phil Tippett's company. Like you said the armature is the standard (easy) bit, for the body's it will need to be sculpted & cast for molds, if molds exist then a small run is possible????

This is an exciting idea! I would definitely be interested in getting in on this project. To me, "Empire" had the most consistently interesting ships and creatures. A stop motion Tauntaun would be very cool indeed!

Looking forward to seeing this thread develop.

-David

Guy, all sounds good to me, i think i could get a sculptor on board, and he's super talented, ill shoot him a PM as it goes and maybe forward on your mail address...you guys can talk? His names Barry, and he's a top blokey too!
Bookman, i agree, TESB is what really did it for me, ANH...just amazing, but i wasnt of age for that to change my life, so to speak lol...but when i saw TESB as a child.....WOW...everything stepped up several gears in design, even now i get all nostalgic when i look back to the first time i saw the Hoth battle LOL.
Ill let you know Guy...ill go mail him now just for curiosities sake?

bests....lee

Both are super important.If you have an armature joint that isn't machined or installed correctly (mostly an error made by the machinist)it won't function like its suppose to,you won't be able to position the joint.

The rubber casting is (as you said) another thing that has to be dead on balls accurate.If you plan to use latex as the puppet body itself,stainless is used because latex is caustic and will cause the parts to corrode.If aluminum is used it is typically avoided by an industrial coasting on aluminum armature(annodized), or they are wrapped in plastic wrap or painted sometimes.

You don't have to bake urethane rubber or silicone like you do foam latex,but like with resin castings....you have to "de-air" the resinoius rubber where as latex foam is whipped into a thick frothy foam (like egg whites) and injected into a dental stone mold and baked for a few hours until cured(and there are other processes after that).

Not too much painting would be involved I don't think?For this project,I think for the most part....pigmenting the rubber would suffice because a great deal of it would be covered with hair(real or synthetic).However,painting urethane or silicone rubber is much different than painting a latex puppet.Different paints are used and you can't use your typical latex balloon paints or PAX paint which is similar.

Depending on what the finished puppet is to be cast with,you need to use either silicon or urethane paints.There are both commerical paints as these and you can get by with some self made ones.Planning is involved,it depends how complex you want the puppet to be and all of that starts with the design of the armature as well as the sculpt used to make the molds themselves,the mold for the puppet and the finished material the puppet is to be cast in.

Last edited:

track down one of the 12" (or so) Luke /Tauntaun that they sold at toys-r-us afew years back?

The Hasbro is a bit too large TBH guys, i talked to Guy earlier, and his idea/wishes are just awesome, i wish him all the best in this, even if its not a run, to see him reach his desired goal will be amazing to watch!

I do feel the props latex was pigmented, in a fleshy tone? The from here the hide was applied maybe...from there it was just weathered with snow etc etc?

Great pics Flint, id love to see the prop someday....Guy Barry will get in touch with you sir, and right now i have ro run, must work sadly lol.

lee

Thanks guy's, any info is great info at this stage it will all help me decide how this will come together.

Jpolachi, your info is invaluable mate, please keep it coming.

Lee, just got the mail from B & I'm hoping to speak with him tomorrow.

Awesome project Guy ! That's one I always wanted to do but I dont have the skill to sculpt nor to mold and cast such a thing !
The Taun Taun is awesome but the Luke and Han puppets are also great and the fabrics just look fantastic !

Most of my information and knowledge I get from the stopmotion animation web site.I am also a stop-motion *geek*/enthusiast.Its a true artform that has been all but pushed out for the way for CGI(crap generated images).Just kiddding,CGI has its place in the film world and its easy to see why it has taken over.

There are guys there(as there are in the RPF) that do simply amazing work.There are some people who make armatures for $,some will do the whole deal,an elite few work on films/t.v like Tom Brierton and a few others.I think he did some work on The Nightmnare Before Christmas?

I don't have access to a vertical mill or an engine lathe so it is impossible for me to machine a professinal armature,and it doesn't stop there.You have to be able to wield a torch very well for some silver soldering.There's a cheap way and that's with alluminum wire,but those break after a while,but work non the less.

If you have one,the #2 and #3 Cinefex issues were completely devoted to TESB FX and the stop motion involved in it.Mainly it focussed on the opening scene(the probe droid emerging from its landing,the Tauntaun scenes and of course...the At-At battle scene and some of the new&old techniques used to creat a *WWI like combat* look.

Back in the day when Cinefex was new and considered a laughable joke of a magazine did the best FX interviews in films and when ILM was still in its infancy.So, there's lots of good,solid information and maybe some good photos?Some of which may not be in the Star Wars Chronicals or in any other periodicals.

So,getting back to your proposed project....you have some decisions to make.Aside from the research involved, you need to decide how far you want to go?How complicated of an armature will it be and if you want to stick with foam latex/old school or something that will be made to last?

Basically,the tauntaun was a foam latex puppet.I do think the latex was pigmented and very little paint/detailing was done.I don't know if the hair was glued on or if it was *punched* in,(a very long and slow process).Most of the shots involved with the Tauntaun were very brief and distance shots,so they could get away with making something that wasn't deeply detailed like the puppet used in Dragon Slayer and made in different scales.One was made for flying only,another for walking/crawling and it had some close up shots,and there may have been a third puppet used as well?

Anyway,I'm rambling but you get the point?To get started,get the armature designed and made first,and it can be pricey.Traditionally the sculpture is done right on top/over the armature in a very hard oil based sculpting clay,like the stuff they use in the auto industry for prototype cars.After the sculpture is complete,the mold is poured and you have to decide,foam latex,urethane or silicone rubber?Then go from there.

Hey Jpollachi,

I didn't know you were a member here for so long! I know you from Stopmotionanimation.com

I wonder if Tom Brierton would make some inexpensive armatures for this project.

Otherwise guys, if you want an articulated armature, it's gonna cost you thousands as armatures are a very time consuming and exacting. There are only a few people making armatures and they charge quite a bit. Jeff Taylor is one of the best, and his armatures run 12 -15k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back