Luke on Tauntaun Stop motion replica. Finished Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Luke on Tauntaun Stop motion replica?

Thanks for the great shots, this is the actual Stop motion prop & not the marguette. :eek:love:love

My Pleasure Guy. I have always liked this prop ever since I saw that Making of the ESB on TV when I was 11!!! Can't wait to see pics!!

That is cool news! Keep us updated! :thumbsup Anything ESB will rock!

Steve

Its all coming together nicely, I'm hoping that the Proto working armatures will be done within 10-14 days & then the sculpt can begin. I'm hoping for a solid update by the end of Nov. Still a few issues to address such as clothing & the final look of the fur but as it stands this could go 1 of 2 ways, A stunning replica that has a look of the Stop motion puppet with some detail from the full scale model & costume or it could look like a squirel with a JI Jo on its back. I've never trusted complete strangers with this kind of thing before so it is quite scary the amount of trust you put in people? I do think I chose the right man for the job & so far it's been an absolute pleasure to be involved with him.

I really do hope this will be better than I could have ever thought possible with this kind of budget?

address such as clothing & the final look of the fur
Guy,
I really stink at remembering things, but I believe fetal calf skin was used, to get the scale right. I think fetal calves are obtained buy surprise when a cow is "taken to market" and they find a wee one inside. I believe the fur can be purchased from a butcher. If I remember correctly a waterbased glue of sorts was used topside to hold/lock the fur in place, and then then backside/skin was thinned or removed. After the prepped fur was applied/glued to the TaunTaun form, the topside glue was then removed exposing the fur.

I wish I had taken better notes.

-DM

Thanks DM, I have all the info on the original & how it was done, sadly I wont be able to replicate this method on my replica due to the nature of the fur & strict import laws on animal fur in the UK, although real fur is the rout I'm taking it wont be fetal calf. Some man made fur's have been tested but although good dont look right at the moment, I think a treated rabbit fur is coming closest at the moment. The fur on the stop motion puppet was way out of scale with the full size prop so I think I'm going for a happy medium between the 2. I do wish we could've gone down the calf fur rout but it was way too much hassle & would've drove the costs up considerably from my end. One of the biggest & best real/false fur suppliers to the movie industry is working with me on this project so no doubt what ever ends up being used will suit the Tauntaun look. Another problem is trying to keep the amount of craftsmen down to a minimum on the build, the more people involved the harder & more costly it becomes so I have gone with one chap that can do the lot & another chap doing the armature's.

I would be interested, but it's definitely related to $$ more than anything else. If it looks close enough to the actual prop, I would be happy with it. Don't care that much about movement in the armature as I wouldn't be using it for stop motion.

I have to say I'm more excited about this project than any other SW thing I've been involved with.

That was made in under a week.

Isn't there a picture of the actual stop motion armature used for the Tauntaun? I seem to remember a picture with it.

There is one but we decided to keep the cost down by making a simpler version, if we had copied the original the armature price alone would've been out of my price range. This is still a fantastic Armature & does exactly what we need it to. Not as pretty but just as functional. There is still a wire tail to be added & the head will be a solid cast, no moving jaw sadly but again I cant justify spending $10,000. I think when the sculpt is done people will be blown away with this........I hope?

Im already blown away Guy, this is without doubt one of the coolest SS projects out there buddy, im so glad its going your way...last time i talked to you....man you were like a kid at Christmas...and that makes me smile buddy...you have a killer passion!

lee

Cheers Lee, I am pretty chuffed that I've even got this off the ground & so quickly. The people involved just getting the research for this has been incredible. It is amazing what you can learn by just being cheeky with company's and artists alike. The list of people I have been in contact with over this project has been from Oscar winners to Taxidermists. Everyone has been a great help to me & some still are. I did get back in touch with BAR about his services but sadly I had to go with the one guy in San Diago, it was going to be too much work to spread it around between different people & would've took way too much of my time that I don't have at the moment, I don't even get home till 15th Dec! Boo Hoo!

Lee, think how much your smiling & times it by 10 bud. We had a rough day this week due to some unruly EGO's & everyone was quite down, when I got the email I wanted from my guy it actually brightened everyone's day cos I was so excited. Forever 8 years old I am.

Well stay safe buddy, and heres to you getting home soon, as for forever 8 years old...ah, what a great age to be again!

lee

$10,000.00? Wow...the economy must be treating you well. I'm gonna guess that with that kind of price, this final piece will be outta my $$ range, sadly. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back