Luke on Tauntaun Stop motion replica. Finished Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Luke on Tauntaun Stop motion replica?

I kind of held off mentioning the estimated cost of the armatures.A cheap one would be somewhere between $2,000.00 and $5,000.00.Maybe if there were allot of people interested,that would drive the cost down?Not sure though,most of those guys don't have CNC machines and its all done on manual machines.Yeah,I've been in and out of the RPF for a few years.I still check into the stopmotion from time to time.Mostly,I'm too poor to get into the stuff I really want to get into..my time is limited by work&school and both are taking a toll on me.There's just a bunch of S.S kits I really want.

Last edited:

Well im sure Guy has it all in hand fella's. I dont think he's looking out for a micro mm perfect ILM spec armature, just something to "play" with while being a fantastic display piece...right Guy lol?
Id go with the Armaverse kind of route, inexpensive, and fairly effective from what i see, more than adequate for a prop replica that wont really be seeing movie screentime, just hours of fun in the driven snow at playtime :lol

lee

You are very correct Lee, I am not going to recreate Empire with this just want the heads & limbs to move a bit, If I was going to spend $12K on something that cant be seen I'd buy an invisible sports car. The main thing for me with this project is that it looks like the stop motion puppet. Also there is an animation company in the UK that make these for movies, film, adverts etc & they are all custom made, I think theyre coming in at a reasnable price If I decided to go the uber correct way, but Armaverse are more than good enough for a basic Tauntaun & Luke.

The fur wont be punched in but layed on. I've already killed a few of the neibours cats to tart my collection :angry (Joke):lol

If all you want is a couple of moving parts, then your best bet is to use aluminum wire for those parts that you want to move, attached to a support skeleton that could be made of molded baked sculpy.

A cheap armature can be made of aluminum rods, with joints made of aluminum wire.

But again, it's very time consuming even doing that.

You are very correct Lee, I am not going to recreate Empire with this just want the heads & limbs to move a bit, If I was going to spend $12K on something that cant be seen I'd buy an invisible sports car. The main thing for me with this project is that it looks like the stop motion puppet. Also there is an animation company in the UK that make these for movies, film, adverts etc & they are all custom made, I think theyre coming in at a reasnable price If I decided to go the uber correct way, but Armaverse are more than good enough for a basic Tauntaun & Luke.

The fur wont be punched in but layed on. I've already killed a few of the neibours cats to tart my collection :angry (Joke):lol

Many felines died, to give us this information :lol!

lee

That may be old information .. prolly is but the Sculpting a galaxy has a good chapter explaining the making of the Taun Taun ..

You know .. just in case .. you wouldn't have seen it .. but I'd doubt it .. still .. :)

Thanks mate, I was studying it today.

Just finished the first mock up, I think its coming along really well. The head may be a bit small??

912403573_9b6e22c901.jpg

Last edited:

I thought that was the never before seen rare ILM ESB AT-ST Proto Type! :lol

Cool project.. I have one of Howards TT's was planning on cutting it up to match a static pose.... will be watching this thread with great interest. Also they make these things called "helping hands" they are machined rods and ball and socket joints... they are used to hold parts for soldering .... used several of them on my first ATAT build..

Steve

Last edited:

Hi all, I have a request of those that would be interested in one of thee. To get a replica of this model will not be cheap but if I can bring costs down then obviously I will. For those people that are very keen & understand the possible costs involved! could you pm me with your opinion on a few things? If I'm to make this work I dont want to shell out $$$$$$ & find out that its only me that wants one. Although I am having it made for myself foremost If I can adapt it to a run then obviously I will.

I would like to know

1.Would you only buy one if the armature is all singing & dancing like the original, or would just basic movement be good enough ie: arms, legs, etc. Enough to repose it from a basic stance but not full on running across Hoth's snow fields?

2. If its done with synthetic hide as apposed to real Calf fur, would this be a problem. I do believe I can get real calf fur but there are strict guidelines in the UK about such things.

3. if it wasn't to the exact same scale as the original but proportionally correct, would this be a no no? I am aiming to get it as damn close as possible but may be limited to certain armatures that aren't hand made? There wont be a drastic size difference.

I'm looking into using stock armature with custom made add ons if possible.

This info will help me decide which way to approach this project.

Last edited:

I got some feedback on armatures and mass producing parts for armatures.I'm not sure if this will help,but its a start.

moderator_icon.gif
StriderThu Oct-16-08 06:26 AMMember since Oct 05th 2001
10306 posts #6145, "RE: economical way of reproducing multiple armatures"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-16-08 06:27 AM by Strider
AHammer.gif

Take a look at this thread over at the Clubhouse Sculptor's Forum: http://theclubhouse1.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57138

He ordered plastic joints from Hobbylink Japan, who sells them for Gundam kits. Might be what you're looking for.
Mike
Rules are made, not to be broken - but to be outgrown

Darkmatters
formerly of StopMoShorts

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top
Nick HThu Oct-16-08 06:41 AMCharter member
7624 posts #6146, "RE: economical way of reproducing multiple armatures"
In response to Reply # 1

4354.gif

A French company have designed an armature with cast metal parts so it can be mass produced at a reasonable cost.
http://www.skeletoon.fr/
They should go on sale any week now. I have doubts about the long term strength of the metal castings, and a couple of minor gripes about the design (shoulder joint lacks "shrug" capability) but it's not bad looking overall.
I suspect the hips are a bit wide for some characters, they are about the width the finished figure should be, instead of allowing for half of the thigh to be on the outside. (made that mistake myself on a gorilla armature.)

But anyway, it looks like a similar idea to yours.
www.picturetrail.com/hilligossnic
http://www.youtube.com/user/StopmoNick

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top
GreyguyThu Oct-16-08 11:03 AMMember since Dec 26th 2003
182 posts #6147, "RE: economical way of reproducing multiple armatures"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Oct-16-08 12:30 PM by Greyguy

Is this just one armature you need ?? or multiples armatures? with joints of coller,hindge and b&s?? i have been working on some coller-joints it a 3/8 ball. Had to stop working on working the moment(another project to do) but they seem pretty good .
here's my original post
http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=16&topic_id=4524&mesg_id=4524&page=7
Greyguy

Last edited by a moderator:

I have just given this commission the green light. Details to follow

I am one very excited person right now!

Thanks Lee, I just heard I'm going to LA in January so it will be cool to see it take shape when I'm there. I have my toe's crossed as well!!!

Oh just LA huh :lol You have a killer profession buddy, though i couldnt stay away from home so long lol.
Would be great for you to check in on the Taun project, i think for you to see your dream coming to life would be just a lil' bit cool!

lee

Hey Guy. I just saw this thread and thought I could help with some pics. These are from the LA Science of Star Wars. Looks like I have some angles that you don't often get. Here ya go.

Brad

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

Is that the actual studio model or the macquette that it's based on?I'm trying to remember and this looks different.Great photos though,priceless in offering good detail references.

Thanks for the great shots, this is the actual Stop motion prop & not the marguette. I have the proud news that as from today this project is fully underway & I may even have a working Armature at the end of next week :eek:love:love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back